As you may have already read, a devastating earthquake (the most powerful to ever strike Japan, and the 5th-largest earthquake in history) stuck Japan today. It originated in the north, but affected cities as far away as Tokoy and beyond. While we've heard that no significant damage has been done to Pentax facilities, the overall descruction of this quake was truly devastating. Read more about it at BBCNews.
Alongside the K-5 1.03 firmware update, Pentax has also released new firmware for the 645D.
Firmware 1.02 includes the following:
- Time remaining during Noise Reduction is shown on the LCD
- In X-mode, the flash sync speed can now be set via the custom function menu
- The camera will now appear as "645D" rather than "Removable Disk" during USB mode
- An extended auto-power-off setting for mirror lock-up has been added
- Changes from firmware 1.01: SDXC support
Pentax Japan has just released the new firmware for the K-5 that we announced last week here on the homepage. As expected, it fixes the known bug in the K-5's AF system and introduces other stability improvements.
Once you have the firmware downloaded, follow these steps to install it:
- Unzip the file
- Copy fwdc209b.bin to a formatted SD card
- Insert the card into your camera and ensure it is fully charged
- Turn the camera power on while pressing the Menu button
- Select "Yes" when prompted on the screen
- Once the screen displays "Complete", you can turn off your camera
Enjoy! The corresponding K-r update will be released shortly as well!
If you are ever looking for the latest firmware versions in the future, be aware that we always list them on our DSLR comparison page!
We are happy to announce our latest giveaway: this time, we will be giving away 5 8Gb Eye-Fi SD cards, thanks to sponsorship from the makers of this unique accessory!
Enter now! Any forum member can participate, and no purchase is necessary. Good luck!
This event will run from 3/7/2011 through 4/7/2011.
Today, Pentax announced their latest compact digital camera: the Optio S1. This new camera isn't weather-sealed, but is quite small, weighing in at only 144 grams and less than an inch deep. In addition to Pentax's usual in-camera firmware featuring face dedection and auto picture modes, it boasts the following:
- High Resoluton 14-megapixel sensor
- 5x zoom lens equivalent to 28-140mm on film
- 1280x720p HD video
- Bright 2.7" LCD screen
- True Shake Reduction (SR) system
- Infrared remote control support
- SDXC support
The camera is expected to be available at B&H in late April.
We've spent some time improving our Pentax Lens Review Database this weekend, and are happy to announce that we've added lens feature icons to all lenses. These icons designate availability of the following:
- Type of focusing mechanism (SDM, Screwdrive, or Manual)
- Aperture automation/ring
- Power zoom
- Built-in hood
- Internal focusing
- Internal zooming
- Production status
Launched in 2006, the Pentax Lens Review Database is the Internet's most complete listing of genuine Pentax lenses. It currently contains every Pentax lens ever made since the 1960's, as well as over 3,000 user-submitted reviews of these lenses.