Pentax Q Firmware v1.12 Released
Fixes issue with "tone expansion" smart effect
By PF Staff in Firmware Updates on Apr 17, 2013
Pentax has just released a new v1.12 firmware update for the original Pentax Q. This update fixes an issue with the "Tone Expansion" Smart Effect found in the camera. As usual, it also includes the latest minor bugfixes.
We believe that this bug was introduced by firmware v1.11, which was taken down by Pentax shortly after being made available. We recommend that everyone running v1.11 update to the latest firmware version, even if you don't plan on using Tone Expansion.
For those of you still running v1.10 or earlier, this new firmware update will improve your camera's autofocus, so we recommend installing it.
Click here to download firmware 1.12 for the Pentax Q, and read on for installation instructions. Please note that this firmware will reset all your camera's settings once installed.
Pentax Q firmware update instructions:
- Download the firmware ZIP file linked above
- Extract the contents of the ZIP and locate the fwdc601p.BIN file
- Copy the file to the root (top level) of your SD card and insert the card into your camera
- Ensure that your camera is fully charged, then power it on
- Press the menu button to access the menu screen
- Using the 4-way controller, go to the set up (3) menu tab
- Select the firmware version info option
- Press the right button on the 4-way controller and select "start" to begin the upgrade
- Wait until the display indicates "COMPLETE". The camera will then power itself off after 5 seconds
- Resume normal use. You can also go back to the firmware menu to verify that the version number has changed.
All Pentax firmware updates are cumulative, so by installing the latest update you also receive all the fixes and features from previous updates.
Important: do not turn your camea off while the upgrade is in progress, and do not remove the lens.