Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2010, 08:21 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The serial is a 154XXXX
From my records when I was looking on Ebay:
The 8 element lenses have a serial number between 1251596 and 1582857, while the 7 element versions have serials between 1653195 and 4323810.

Hope this helps you hunters.

09-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Yaro Quote
From my records when I was looking on Ebay:
The 8 element lenses have a serial number between 1251596 and 1582857, while the 7 element versions have serials between 1653195 and 4323810.

Hope this helps you hunters.
There is some overlap. According to Blue's spreadsheet there are some Model IIs with serials in the 155XXX to 159XXXX range and 1 Model I in the 158XXXX range. There is only 1 50 1.4 in the 154XXXX range and it's a Model I.
09-17-2010, 08:33 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Are they definitely non-yellowing? Because several of the reviews here mention de-yellowing theirs.

I had no idea this lens even existed a few days ago. neat! Now I have one on the way from eBay. Fingers crossed!
The 8-element lens shouldn't have any radio-active coatings on it. I saw the review you are talking about, and I suspect the person mis-identified the lens. I don't specifically now of an 8-element 50/1.4 yellowing, but I suppose its possible, especially if there were any elements shared between it and the second model during the overlap area in the serial # ranges.
09-17-2010, 08:00 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Thanks Blue, I wondered about the yellowing maybe being a mistake.

So it seems a serial number of 148XXXX would be in the possible range?

09-17-2010, 08:27 PM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Once someone has some credible/compiled info on the SN range, we'll gladly add it to the database as well. Please PM Ole with that info and he'll add it!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-17-2010, 09:11 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michele Quote
Hello,

according to the info about the 8 element 1,4/50mm here at the lens review thread i bought such a lens, here is the auction i won:

eBay: Neue und gebrauchte Elektronikartikel, Autos, Kleidung, Sammlerst?cke, Sportartikel und mehr ? alles zu g?nstigen Preisen.

Now i found an ebay offer with different info about how to identify a 8 element early version. Here is the link to the auction:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

i asked the seller why he is thinking, his lens is a 8 element version and gave him in addition the link to our forum with the review. He told me in his answer the description in our lens review is wrong !!!???

Can someone tell me who is right? Is there a more detailed source?

Thanks for any help.

M;chele
Look at the camera side of the A-M diaphragm switch. Before 10/66 358, or from 10/66, 35800 is version I of M42 Super-Takumar 1.4/50, with 8 elements in 7 groups.

Sometimes the number is missing. Then the identifying marks are the red infrared focus mark on DOF scale is between (F/)4 marking and the central diamond, and, the diaphragm switch positions are marked A-M instead of Auto-Man.

The fellow with the second ebaY listing has misinterpreted info on how to identify version I, same as in forum lens database, that infrared mark "is to the right", that is if you are looking at the lens with camera end towards you, however the 4th photo clearly shows the infrared focus mark on the wrong side of (F/)4; that is NOT version I.
09-18-2010, 08:10 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just acquired 8 element Super-Tak. Serial # in the 154XXXX range.

IR mark between diamond & F/4.

Rear element protrudes, no marking on A-M switch.

Last edited by boriscleto; 09-18-2010 at 09:01 AM.
09-18-2010, 08:48 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Thanks Blue, I wondered about the yellowing maybe being a mistake.

So it seems a serial number of 148XXXX would be in the possible range?
That serial number is before the area of overlap with Model 2 with one exception. There is one serial # for a Model 2 at 147xxxx. As a matter of fact, I just added boriscleto's lens to the data base and his is the highest serial # before the zone of overlap with that 1 exception.

Edit: The area of heavy overlap is from 155xxxx to 158xxxx. Then there is a single entry for Model 1 at 183xxxx and 2 at 224xxxx. Those 3 entries were entered into the M-Forty-Two data base and weren't verified by Nigel or me as being Model 1 so I have them in red in the spread sheet.

Last edited by Blue; 09-18-2010 at 09:03 AM.
09-18-2010, 08:55 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Once someone has some credible/compiled info on the SN range, we'll gladly add it to the database as well. Please PM Ole with that info and he'll add it!
Ole has asked me to do an article and attach the combined data base of Nigel's old M-Fort-Two project and the one that I have accumulated over a period of years. There are a little over 4300 lenses in the combined data base. About 1000 of them are from my compilation and the other are from entries entered by people into the old M-Forty-Two site of Nigel's. My entries are based on photo series that allowed identification. A substantial number of the M-Forty-Two entries actually came from people that are members here and my entries as well. This is a work in progress. I have started concentrating mainly on the lenses that have variations of interest.
09-18-2010, 08:55 AM   #25
Veteran Member

IR mark to left of F/4.

Turn photo upside down; is IR mark to right or left? Left or right can be confusing, evidence in this thread.

The IR mark on 8-element version is between F/4 and central diamond.
09-18-2010, 09:00 AM   #26
Site Supporter

IR mark to left of F/4.

Actually, that red line for the IR mark is inside the 4.
09-20-2010, 08:11 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If mine is E8 version then the second link is not the E8 version 100% positive. Here is mine S: 122XXXX, if it is any help. Mine does match the description, what was described in this forum review.

Edit: No yellowing here. No number on A-M diaphragm switch. Protruding (far more than average) back element (makes me nervous during mounting).

Last edited by ultraviolet; 03-26-2017 at 09:16 PM.
09-20-2010, 08:29 PM   #28
Inactive Account

great info here! thanks!
09-27-2010, 05:40 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Text font?

Hi all...I'm curious to know if anyone is able to explain the font differences between the below two 8-element Super-Taks? The one on the right is an earlier version in the serial number range 134xxxx (it has closed 4's and straight 6's), and the one on the left is 139xxxx, (with open 4's and rounded 6's - This font seems to continue right up to the 1972 SMC Super-Tak). According to the IR marks, both are the 8-element version. Neither of the two have a part number on the A-M diaphragm switch.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
09-27-2010, 05:57 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine is a serial number 147xxxx, it has the IR diamond to the right of the 4F4 mark, has the open 4 curved 6 font type for apertures and has a White A and red M beside the aperture switch.

But all these are minor and confusing varients.

the real way to tell is the convex rear element that protrudes out the back of the lens.

Parts can be swapped between many lenses over the life of the lens, and swapped in production as a function of individual supplier, fonts can change over a 7-10 year production run, BUT LENS GROUP DESIGNS CAN'T

There would be no way that a 7 element lens would carry the rear group from the 8 element lens. That has to be the most reliable tell tale.