Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2012, 07:40 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Glamour photos- What lens?

Good day and Merry Christmas!

I have one question: What lens should I buy to take glamour photos? Actually it would be my universal `persons` lens in different situations. What I want to arrive to is something like the following:
I must mention that the copyright of the pictures are owned by their rightful owners. I don' t want to make any profit what so ever from this photos, or have the intent of helping others do that. I acquired them by searching `erotic art` on google:

The thing is the first pictures I might start in this `domain` are in a dark place, with little light. What lens should I use?
I only have a 18-50mm lens as far as a WA goes, or the 35-70mm.
I want to play with light (shadows) in that place, but as I said it is really dark.
What lens should I get asides the 18?
I was thinking of purchasing the 35mm ltd.

Thank you!

12-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd go with a standard or a portrait lens, so the 35mm or 77mm limited should work well.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I usually use a 55mm or one of my 100mm range portrait lenses for stuff like this, Rarely a 75-200mm zoom if I want to do full body stuff but I find lenses in the 55-105mm range work the best for me. Some people will use a wide angle but I don't like that. I think it's a bit unflattering sometimes particularly when the person sitting for me isn't model skinny. A 35mm would be as low as I'd ever want to go for any kind of portraiture and actually I prefer at least a 45mm-55mm instead.
12-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #4

Original Poster
Good day,

Thank you all for the replies. Here are some other samples of what I' d want. The reason I am searching for a WA is that the space is tight in there, and I' d like to make the environment a part of the photos as well (curtains, arches of the walls) .

This pictures are not mine, I do not own the rights for them and my soul purpose for them being here is to present what I'd want to do.

I hope I don' t offend anybody with the erotic themed picture/ s. If so, please let me know. Thank you!

So, here they are:

Thank you!

12-25-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

around 35 and 50 sounds good, go for the 35mm if you want more of the body on the photo.
12-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Problem is with tigh spaces, that you are standing close to the model so your perspective is strange.
You simply can not make the photos you are showing in your last post.
12-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Problem is with tigh spaces, that you are standing close to the model so your perspective is strange.
You simply can not make the photos you are showing in your last post.

Good day,

Thanks for the reply. The space is about the one presented in the following picture. If I' ll find any others, I' ll put them here. Problem is I don' t even know if it' s a sure thing (the place) . The thing is, I don' t want to carry with me all my equipment. I do like my 85mm F1.4 , but it' s kind of pointless.

Thank you!

12-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Each of the examples you posted requires a different setup. Keep in mind that with shots like that, the lighting and space and acting are usually more important than the camera.
I suggest you get a fast prime lens between 50mm and 85mm.

And a couple of flashes, flash stands, diffusers, remote triggers, deflectors and assistants, a studio..
I'm not trying to discourage you, its just that this type of photography is much more technical than it appears.
Edit: I'd try the 85mm, especially if its a low light place. Bring a zoom along just in case
12-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Each of the examples you posted requires a different setup. Keep in mind that with shots like that, the lighting and space and acting are usually more important than the camera.
I suggest you get a fast prime lens between 50mm and 85mm.

And a couple of flashes, flash stands, diffusers, remote triggers, deflectors and assistants, a studio..
I'm not trying to discourage you, its just that this type of photography is much harder and more technical than it appears.
Totally agree, but I have to start from somewhere

L.E. The 85mm is a manual focus, a Samyang. And the focus barrel is very very stiff.

Last edited by K5_Ltd_User; 12-25-2012 at 10:23 AM.
12-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

True. I haven't tried the Samyang 85mm, but it is a classical focal length and aperture for portraits and similar.
Maybe try a 35m prime, the ltd you mentioned might be a good idea because it is reasonably fast and also allows close up/macro photography. Its sharp, has a flat field of focus, normal-wide FoV.. very versatile lens
12-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you have the 35-70 give that a try. It is slower but covers the range needed. If you have access to the space go and try out some test pictures at various focal lengths to see what works. Then you will have a better idea on what to buy.

And +1 on lighting, that is more important than the lens in many cases.
12-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

looks like you have quite some room to distance yourself, take a longer lens i would say.
12-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If you have the 35-70 give that a try. It is slower but covers the range needed. If you have access to the space go and try out some test pictures at various focal lengths to see what works. Then you will have a better idea on what to buy.

And +1 on lighting, that is more important than the lens in many cases.

I want to play with shadows... that' s the hard bit. Problem is, I have a sinking feeling I' m biting more then I can chew...
12-26-2012, 04:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

you need to start somewhere