Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2014, 07:32 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Did they give any reason for the discontinuation?

Following up with them now... will let you know if I hear anything.

01-14-2014, 07:50 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
Following up with them now... will let you know if I hear anything.
Cool!

sTi may be correct though. They might just do limited production runs per mount. And when the 8-16 was first introduced the forecoast for Pentax would have much lower then they are right now. At least I hope.
01-14-2014, 08:05 AM   #18
Pentaxian

There are a pile of lenses that seem to be pretty decent in this FL. If I go back to places I've recommended this lens, recommendations are alway buried in a sea of posts recommending other lenses. It's not like it was overwhelmingly embraced by the Pentax community. Anyway, based on the performance and numbers I saw, I decided it was the latest thing since sliced bread and bought a copy. And as I've said continuously since I bought it, you can have my copy when you pry it out of my cold dead hands. But my take is, people who should have been interested in this lens got talked into the Pentax 12-24, Sigma 10-20, Tamron has a 10-24. There is a lot of competition for this lens.

My guess is a lot of it's target market ended up buying other options, and honestly, I can't say that's a bad thing. I don't know all these lenses. I bought it based in part on the fact it's the only SWA corrected for barrel distortion down to 12mm, the only zoom that goes down to 8mm, and it's corrected enough to be better than most primes in it's focal length. All in all it's an amazing lens. That clearly wasn't enough for the Pentax community to buy them in enough numbers to keep the production lines alive.

SO blame it on the small numbers of Pentax users, or the large number of offerings from other companies, including the Sigma 10-20, it's own producer, or Pentax users brand loyalty. But the bottom line is, a company cancels something like this, because it isn't paying for itself. IN Pentax land, this lens never really caught on and took off. I'm not sure we should be blaming Sigma for that.
01-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Cool!

sTi may be correct though. They might just do limited production runs per mount. And when the 8-16 was first introduced the forecoast for Pentax would have much lower then they are right now. At least I hope.
Response:

QuoteQuote:
All Sigma DC Global Vision lenses will be produced in Pentax mounts. With regard to our non-global vision lenses, we will continue to produce Pentax mounts for those where the demand has been high.

01-15-2014, 05:27 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Response:
So the demand for the K-mount 8-16 wasn't high enough to continue with it? I thought it was quite popular amongst Pentaxians. (And for good reason too, I might add.)
01-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #21
Veteran Member

So the demand for the K-mount 8-16 wasn't high enough to continue with it? I thought it was quite popular amongst Pentaxians. (And for good reason too, I might add.)
I think the 10-20 was much more "quietly" popular. I. E. it wasn't discussed that much, but was bought in greater numbers, especially it's quite a bit cheaper.
01-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I think the 10-20 was much more "quietly" popular. I. E. it wasn't discussed that much, but was bought in greater numbers, especially it's quite a bit cheaper.
Personally, I think the moral of the story, is that when Sigma releases a lens you might like in Pentax mount, you need to get your pennies together and take the plunges as quickly as possible, because it may not be available long. I'm thinking of possible 18-35 1.8 buyers here. If, I'd missed this lens, I would have been completely peeved. There's really nothing else like it.

01-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Personally, I think the moral of the story, is that when Sigma releases a lens you might like in Pentax mount, you need to get your pennies together and take the plunges as quickly as possible, because it may not be available long. I'm thinking of possible 18-35 1.8 buyers here. If, I'd missed this lens, I would have been completely peeved. There's really nothing else like it.
Oh crud... so that WAS available? I thought it was COMING SOON!
01-15-2014, 11:41 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Even if every Pentaxian got one, the demand would be quite low when compared to the Nikon/Canon mounts.
01-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Oh crud... so that WAS available? I thought it was COMING SOON!
Honestly, I saved my pennies for it, came up with the change, went to Henry's Exposure, the Sigma Rep told me they were closing them out and there were only a couple left in Canada. I just got in under the wire. If I'd bought the 70 Macro first as planned, I would have been SOL.
01-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Honestly, I saved my pennies for it, came up with the change, went to Henry's Exposure, the Sigma Rep told me they were closing them out and there were only a couple left in Canada. I just got in under the wire. If I'd bought the 70 Macro first as planned, I would have been SOL.
Odd...

The Sigma, B&H, and Adorama websites all have it listed as coming soon for the Pentax mount. I guess Canada was a test market?

I may have to inquire on this one too.
01-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I rented that lens once, and really liked it. The images have a much different quality than the 10-17. I guess I need to have my allowance raised so I can buy a used one before they're all gone.
01-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
But this was not for the Pentax mount then correct?

According to Sigma:

QuoteQuote:
Hi Kevin,

We have no knowledge of the 18-35mm having been produced in Pentax mount to date. According to all of our communications, Japan has not yet begun to manufacture the lens in Pentax mount and will not do so until they are able to fulfill all of the Canon and Nikon back orders.
01-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #29
Pentaxian

The thread is about the Sigma 8-16, not the 18-35, I was talking about the 8-16.

QuoteQuote:
I rented that lens once, and really liked it. The images have a much different quality than the 10-17. I guess I need to have my allowance raised so I can buy a used one before they're all gone.
They are so apples and oranges, that I sometimes carry both.
01-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The thread is about the Sigma 8-16, not the 18-35, I was talking about the 8-16.

They are so apples and oranges, that I sometimes carry both.
I see the confusion then...

It was unclear when you said: "I'm thinking of possible 18-35 1.8 buyers here. If, I'd missed this lens, I would have been completely peeved. There's really nothing else like it."

Thanks for clarifying it now