Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #1

Best place to get a lens repaired?

There is something with the focusing on my pentax da* 16-50 and I am out of my 1 year warranty so I need to send it in somewhere to get is fixed. Is sending it in to pentax comparable in price to other places? Any advice would be awesome. Thanks.

07-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is my understanding that there is only one Pentax repair center in the USA. If you take it elsewhere they might handle simple things but most likely it will get sent to CRIS anyway. https://www.criscam.com/

However, there was a thread just in the last day or so reporting that they had been told by CRIS that Pentax was moving to a new repair company as of August 1st. That is second hand so I do not know but you might want to call and ask or wait until August to see what happens.

What is wrong with your 16-50 by the way?
07-24-2014, 04:13 AM   #3

Original Poster
I'm not exactly sure how it happened. I have been on the ocean for the past couple days so it could have just got thrown into something. I also have an outex waterproof cover and there is a front glass piece that screws in like a filter and I might have screwed it in too tight and done some damage. But now it focuses sometimes and when it does it is really really slow. Nothing rattles in the lens but when I listen to the focusing motor it definitely doesn't sound right.
07-24-2014, 05:39 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

sounds like sdm motor is failing

07-24-2014, 05:40 AM   #5

Original Poster
if it is a problem with the sdm motor in the lens could I just convert it to screwdrive?

---------- Post added 07-24-14 at 05:52 AM ----------

can the sdm motor fail because of an impact?
07-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DA*16-50 has a bad reputation for SDM motor failure. Supposedly this was fixed on all lenses made after sometime in 2012. Units made prior to that often failed sometimes more than once. I believe they upgraded the components and new repairs should last.

If it is the SDM motor then yes you can convert it to screwdrive. But that is not just a simple thing. Search this forum for posts on it. I think you need an older body and have to go into debug mode to do it. I considered it when my SDM failed but just sent the lens in for repair instead.

Not sure if an impact would fail the SDM, no way to really say I think. But SDM could just have failed anyway if your lens is older than 2012. Or this might be something unrelated to SDM.

Does the zoom function smoothly? Does the lens focus properly in manual focus mode?
07-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #7

Original Poster
It zooms and focuses manually fine. I have a k-3 and I couldn't find any instructions on how to get into debug mode in it so I guess I'll just send it in and go from there.

07-24-2014, 02:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by agrzesiak Quote
if it is a problem with the sdm motor in the lens could I just convert it to screwdrive?
Yes you can:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-...m-f-2-8-a.html

And as it turns out, I am selling a K100D which can convert your lens to screw drive in a snap
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/268376-sal...100d-dslr.html