Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #1
Forum Member

K5II & Tokina AF 20-35 - compatibility issues..?!?!?

On mounting the Tokina AF 20-35mm (version I) on my brand new a day young K5 II, the status screen doesn't work... only the shoulder LCD display remains active, on turning the Mode dial the display screen briefly comes up to show the mode change, although without any values dispalyed and then back to black ! With the DA AL 35mm it's back in normal business.
Any inputs and insights why this is happening ?

07-26-2014, 12:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Are the contacts on the lens clean?
07-26-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Are the contacts on the lens clean?
yeah they seemed pretty clean - it is for all intents and purposes a near brand new lens - though i bought it second hand, it is in mint condition. actually i do not really mind the rear screen not displaying because the shoulder display gives me all i need and when navigating the menu the rear screen works fine as it does for playback..so perhaps i'm only saving on battery power ..but i would like to know what's up and if it's afault ?
07-26-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

If I follow what you are saying, I wouldn't use it until I figured it out, sounds like something is getting shorted. You don't want your camera freaking out in unpredictable ways. Is there anything weird or protruding on the mount that could be hitting the inner SDM contacts on the body?

07-26-2014, 01:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Tokina ATX Pro 19-35, so I think we are talking about the same lens, and have used it on K20d, K5, K511s & K3 all without any issue.
I would echo the comment about the contacts and give them a clean with a soft cloth or tissue....gently....on both body & lens.
07-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
If I follow what you are saying, I wouldn't use it until I figured it out, sounds like something is getting shorted. You don't want your camera freaking out in unpredictable ways. Is there anything weird or protruding on the mount that could be hitting the inner SDM contacts on the body?
Yes I reckon there is some serious problem with the Camera itself ... I rechecked with my other lenses.. and now it's the same story with all other lenses too... no status on the rear display although the Menu works as well as the playback. No nothing unusual is protruding on the mount. Guess I'll just send the camera back.

---------- Post added 26-07-14 at 14:45 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
I have the Tokina ATX Pro 19-35, so I think we are talking about the same lens, and have used it on K20d, K5, K511s & K3 all without any issue.
I would echo the comment about the contacts and give them a clean with a soft cloth or tissue....gently....on both body & lens.
did that.. - no go !
07-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sumit Floyd Chaterji Quote
Yes I reckon there is some serious problem with the Camera itself ... I rechecked with my other lenses.. and now it's the same story with all other lenses too... no status on the rear display although the Menu works as well as the playback. No nothing unusual is protruding on the mount. Guess I'll just send the camera back.
Well, having no status screen on *is* a menu option, so make sure you just haven't set it to be off somehow. That's the first thing I do with a new camera -- I hate that screen being on all the time...

07-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Well, having no status screen on *is* a menu option, so make sure you just haven't set it to be off somehow.
Indeed. With a one day old camera, there is a lot to learn and configure.
07-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, having no status screen on *is* a menu option, so make sure you just haven't set it to be off somehow. That's the first thing I do with a new camera -- I hate that screen being on all the time...
I thought that too at first and checked - but its on 'Enable' (default) setting. I'm just wondering at the moment whether to take it to the authorised service and repair centre or simply send it back... considering the cam hasn't even been with me a day and just 30 odd test shutter releases !!

---------- Post added 26-07-14 at 15:25 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Indeed. With a one day old camera, there is a lot to learn and configure.
... true there are some differences in layout and controls in the K5 II but not a big radical difference in configuration or menu than the K30 I had previously !
07-26-2014, 04:49 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Yeah if it really is broken and brand new -- exchange, not repair. Repair can take ages depending on the problem...
07-27-2014, 12:34 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well I seem to have located the problem - it has nothing to do with lenses or the mount - thankfully. What's happening is this - In factory/default settings everything works fine, however if i once disable the status screen it stays disabled even after enabling it from the Tools menu again - YET - however if i press Reset it in the tools menu, the status screen does comes back but all the setting changes in the Camera, Playback and Tools menu are gone (reset to default) with the exception of the settings done in the Custom Menu - those remain unchanged !! Is that normal ?? .. Can someone else try in on their K5II and give a feedback please. ???
07-27-2014, 07:39 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Firmware bug? You might try updating to latest.