Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #1

question

hi, I am new to forum...
today I recieved from ebay used pentax d fa 100mm wr and everything is ok, except inner barrel,
I have some other pentax lens, none of them have this problem..
autofocus is fine, images seems to be ok...
What to do, any advise?

sorry for my english...

thanks

Last edited by osib; 11-10-2014 at 08:46 AM.
08-28-2014, 01:15 PM   #2

Sorry to hear this. I have the 100mm WR and have not noticed any unusual wobbles, and the focus ring is very smooth. If you're not happy, can you return it?
08-28-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

My DFA 100 acts basically like my limited lenses. No noises when manually focusing. I would contact the seller and return it.
08-28-2014, 02:51 PM   #4

You've intrigued me enough to go and check my own version. There IS a (very slight and dull) wobble, but as if perhaps there was a balancing mechanism inside. Perhaps there should be? Although it is slight; my copy does not 'wobble a lot' as you describe.

Also, in a very silent room, when I'm listening for a sound, I do detect a slight 'whizz' sound as I turn the focus ring. But the ring turns perfectly smoothly, and I had never noticed the noise before. Are you at all able to check a new copy at a store somewhere? See if it feels and sounds the same?

08-28-2014, 03:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
mine has very slight wobble, probably less than 0.5mm if that. also slight whizzzz sound when the focus ring is turned quickly but quiet when it's turned slowly, it might be due to WR seals.
08-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by osib Quote
thanks kentishrev
problem is that I don't know what is "a lot wobble" because my other lens have not even slight movement of inner barrel, I would say there is approximately 2 to maybe even 3mm movement side to side.
you very well describe sound of focus ring, ( I can't hear it when there is another sound in room,) and when I turn "fast" focus ring, in one moment it change sound, like it start spinning in one place an then normally continue,
very very strange. because autofocus run perfectly normal...
I live in Croatia on small island and if there is any new copy it would be in capital city almost 500 km away... so that si no quick solution...
2-3mm wobble is excessive. My dfa100wr has a tiny bit of' 'play' but it is not much.
Turning focus ring quickly using the quickshift feature I can hear a slight sound that I attribute to the gear clutch mechanism of the quick shift being turned.
08-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kentishrev Quote
Also, in a very silent room, when I'm listening for a sound, I do detect a slight 'whizz' sound as I turn the focus ring. But the ring turns perfectly smoothly,
This happen on my copy too! and I hear the "whiizz" sound when I rotate the focus fast and just in one way! (Don't know which one )

08-29-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The focus ring on mine makes a bit of a whrrr sound when focused manually. It is not as soundless as some other lenses I have. But I don't think its a problem, I thought its just the QS AF/MF gear shifts.
Wobble is odd, mine has a little but less than 2mm. I hope youre not forcing or bending it.
Anyway, here is what you should do:
a) describe what is happening and maybe make a video that shows it. Send this as a letter to the place where you bought the lens from and notify them, and also ask about warranty.
b) keep using the lens until there is a problem. Are the photos sharp across the frame? Is there odd flare? Does AF work normally? As long as the lens is working well, I would keep it and only bring it in for replacement or repair if there is a problem. But it might be good to notify the store, so you can say, even if warranty goes out "look, I have proof it had this problem even back then"

Best of luck. Its a great lens, very sharp and contrasty.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 08-31-2014 at 09:23 AM.
08-29-2014, 04:15 PM   #9

Original Poster
thanks na horuk,

everything seems to be ok with images, af sometimes tend to hunt and sometimes have difficult to lock the focus, but that's normally for this lens

did you see video that I attach? is that sound at the end of video normally? is it on your copy like that when you fast turn focus ring?

I buy this lens from private person, (owner of the lens)

after one day with lens, wobbling seems be a less then 2mm (state of mind probably)
08-29-2014, 04:57 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by osib Quote
this is what I was talking about...
it is normally when turning slow but when you turn qiuck....
That is too loud, there may be a problem with that lens.
08-31-2014, 09:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Ah, I didn't watch the video to the end. That is a bit strange. The scarping at the end is not normal. Maybe there is a screw or gear loose. Hope its still under warranty.