Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Rokinon 85 1.4 for Macro?

Has anyone used a Rokinon 85 1.4 for macro using tubes, or if you haven't would you recommend I try it? Possible drawbacks?

I was thinking of buying some extension tubes and trying it.

Thanks.

08-31-2014, 09:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Haven't tried it.

How close are you trying to get? Max Reproduction Ratio on that lens is north of 11:1 if I recall correctly. With the tubes you can get much closer of course, but you'll need 70-80mm of tubes to get to 1:1.

That means you'll lose a lot of light.
08-31-2014, 10:33 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

It is a manual focus lens, Biff, with nice control. But a 'real' 1:1 MF macro lens shouldn't cost too much (especially if it's an old film lens).
09-01-2014, 12:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
Possible drawbacks?
Dedicated macro lenses are optimized to provide a flat field and minimize aberrations at close focusing distances. "Normal" primes may be a bit dissapointing in that respect if you go to closer working distances than they have been designed for, (using extension tubes and similar). Also bear in mind that you will need a fairly long tube with an 85mm lens to get a decent magnification - some 40mm to get a 1:2 magnification ratio.

You could do an initial try-out of your lens with a simple, homemeade extender made from a cardboard tube or similar?

09-01-2014, 03:42 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

yes, I did use successfully my Samyang 85 1.4 with Vivitar Macro 2x teleconverter for macro photography , it worked very well.
I will need to retest that kit again
09-01-2014, 04:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I was also wondering this some time ago, but decided to go with Pentax macro instead..
The Samyang has a pretty far minimum focus distance to begin with. I thought about buying it and some extension tubes, but decided to go with the DFA 100mm macro instead. I dont regret it. Yes, it costs a little more, but it has many advantages, like full automation, AF and QS, distance scales that are fairly accurate, WR, very sharp and contrasty photos, lens profiles in PP software, no quality control issues, true 1:1 macro,.. real macro lenses also have the advantages of: long focus throw in the macro range, flat field of focus, good diffraction resistance (Can be used for macro work at f16 and the quality is still acceptable, the photo isnt all fuzzy). This is why most people prefer to buy an actual macro lens. You can get one of those 1:2 magnification manual Pentax 100mm macro lenses. For most uses that is enough magnification, and you can use extension tubes to go beyond. They are good lenses and probably cost less than the Samyang..
You could use the Samyang with extension tubes, bellows or macro diopters. Since it is a sharp lens, it will probably work well enough, and it has the aperture ring (main weakness of the latest DFA 100mm WR, no aperture ring). I think there are websites that help you figure out the magnification with extension tubes, so you can get a rough idea before you buy
09-01-2014, 07:49 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I haven't used the lens as much as I'd like and thought maybe using it as a dedicated macro would be a good way to go as I like the manual focus for this application anyway. I could used my M 50 1.7 this way also, but like it as a manual walk around lens.

The Pentax 100 WR is a stunning lens and the way to ultimately go. I should start saving for that and maybe get some tubes anyway to play around with in the meantime.

09-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Extension tubes are always worth having and don't cost much. Mine are M42 and I use them on my older Takumars with good results. I owned a Spotmatic back in the day so I had some Taks to begin with. I use my shorter lenses with the tubes, usually my 55/1.8 and 28/3.5. It's a cheap way to do close up shooting with the lenses you already own but if you do a lot of macro, I think buying a dedicated 1:1 macro lens would be a good plan. Older, MF macros won't break the bank and will be easier to work with.