Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
09-17-2014, 06:56 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The three things of Ricoh's lens developing which puzzle me

I don't understand why all-weather Pentax DSLR system have no AW primes in the most demanded range.

1. No all-weather wide prime.
2. And no any prime between 21-31 mm.
3. No continuing of serie DA35/2.4 and DA50/1.8. Cheap, sharp and high contrast.
Something for wide-angle. 18/4 or 16/4.5. And 85/2.8 for tele or 100/3.5.
Any lens could be good.

To make landscapes and street photos in time of no good weather is necessity for system where cameras has good WR.

Between 12 till 200 mm - only DA*55 has good WR, DFA100 macro has simple WR.

Last edited by ogl; 09-17-2014 at 09:32 AM.
09-17-2014, 06:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To be fair, their inhouse probably assumes that the DA 20-40 Ltd is sufficient for #1 and #2.
I'd like a #3, but then again I already have a FA*24 so I don't really care too much.
09-17-2014, 07:04 AM   #3
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
To be fair, their inhouse probably assumes that the DA 20-40 Ltd is sufficient for #1 and #2.
I'd like a #3, but then again I already have a FA*24 so I don't really care too much.
1. 20-40 was sent to Pentax Russia because of low QC of this lens. And it was changed to FA31.
20-40 is not sharp enough at the corners, it's not DA*, it's big and rather expensive for such optics.
I've paid 1000 EURO for 20-40 and got a piece of junk.

2. FA*24/2 is not so good at 16 MP camera. The corners are very weak even at f8-11. It has no any WR at all.
And it's USED gear.
09-17-2014, 07:20 AM - 5 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
1. 20-40 was sent to Pentax Russia because of low QC of this lens. And it was changed to FA31.
20-40 is not sharp enough at the corners, it's not DA*, it's big and rather expensive for such optics.

2. FA*24/2 is not so good at 16 MP camera. The corners are very weak even at f8-11. It has no any WR at all.
And it's USED gear.
Man, you are really unhappy, are you sure photography is a positive thing in your life? Or is just the Russian "complain about everything" mindset? I have known Russians from Siberia who complained about everything even when they were having great time, maybe I'm just reading you wrong.

09-17-2014, 07:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

And it's USED gear.
I don't know much about #1. I'm just saying that Pentax probably thinks that's why they don't need to release anything.

My #2 was referring to the fact that I would like to see a wide cheap prime, but as I already have a FA*24/2, I'm not in the market for that product.
09-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #6
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Man, you are really unhappy, are you sure photography is a positive thing in your life? Or is just the Russian "complain about everything" mindset? I have known Russians from Siberia who complained about everything even when they were having great time, maybe I'm just reading you wrong.
You wrong and biassed. It's just discussion. I think you don't understand it at all.
Do you realize what is this forum intended for? I don't talk about photography. I talk about the direction of Ricoh's lens developing. And nothing else.

If you can't discuss, why do you post here? Find another thread and talk about photography till the Second Coming.
09-17-2014, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

You should take it easy on national stereotypes. This comment can't lead to a positive discussion ..

I think the OP raises a few legitimate issues

09-17-2014, 08:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ricoh is not "developing" any lenses, they're not even allowed inside the Pentax R&D. All Ricoh does is sign invoices, or gaze at their cellphones during board meetings when the topic of new lenses comes up.
09-17-2014, 08:44 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

No continuing of serie DA35/2.4 and DA50/1.8.
Did I miss a rumor somewhere? Both those lenses are on the current roadmap and both are listed as current product and widely available for purchase.

Steve
09-17-2014, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #10

Photos: Albums
You wrong and biassed. It's just discussion. I think you don't understand it at all.
Do you realize what is this forum intended for? I don't talk about photography. I talk about the direction of Ricoh's lens developing. And nothing else.

If you can't discuss, why do you post here? Find another thread and talk about photography till the Second Coming.
I think it's the way the Russian language translate to English. It makes most Russian appear very demanding / complaining when they are not. It's the same for many Russian professional athlete. I am a big mma fan and one of my favorite fighter is Khabib Nurmagomedov. His twitter feed makes him look very demanding / or it looks like he is complaining a lot.
09-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

ROFL

All this time (since 2007) I thought this forum was about photography with Pentax cameras and lenses. You are absolutely correct, you do not talk about anything other than Ricoh's business plans. It gets a bit tedious at times since your comments are almost always negative, but that appears to be your purpose and it is not good to deprive people of their purpose.

BTW...sorry about your negative experience with the DA 20-40 Limited. Early reviews were mixed and I figured that was enough to take the lens off my radar.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-17-2014 at 08:55 AM.
09-17-2014, 08:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Did I miss a rumor somewhere? Both those lenses are on the current roadmap and both are listed as current product and widely available for purchase.

Steve
I think he means an update to the 35 F2.4, as well as a new cheap lens in a similar vein that is in the 15-24mm range.
The 50 1.8 is pretty recent, so that should stay.
09-17-2014, 09:01 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I agree with all the points, but I am by no means depressed by them

I guess I'm more of a "the glass is half full" kind of guy.

There's 3rd party lenses that fulfill those needs, except for the all-weather wide prime - which as far as I'm concerned, nobody else offers anyway. So, not worth getting depressed about Just shoot what you got and if the weather gets bad, slap a zoom on the camera. At least you'll get the shot.
09-17-2014, 09:09 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I guess I'm more of a "the glass is half full" kind of guy.
the glass is always full - where it isn't full of water, etc, it is full of air. unless you're in space, then I guess dark matter..?
09-17-2014, 09:14 AM   #15
Pentaxian

All my primes are manual types (except the DA40) so that's my half-full(-of-liquid) choice. Zooms are the easy sell in today's market, sadly.. I too would like Pentax to fill the primal gaps in the 15-30 range, but my Vivitar 28/2 has no plans to leave my kit.