Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2014, 09:33 PM   #1
Pentaxian

How the heck do you find the original K series lenses from pentax?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Seriously, Pentax didn't have much forethought for search engines . I've been looking for a few of these originals from Pentax but the only things I can find are the equivalent M-Series versions

09-17-2014, 09:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is no 'K' series. Though it is often referred to that way Pentax did not use the letters to distinguish until the 'M' series. So we have M,A,F,FA,& DA (plus DFA DA L and FA J)

To search for a 'K' lens try 'SMC' as that is the real name. You will also come up with a lot of other stuff including Takumars but that's the best you can do. Except for the marketplace here and if the seller is knowledgeable they might add the 'K' as it is common (though erroneous) usage.
09-17-2014, 09:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
There is no 'K' series. Though it is often referred to that way Pentax did not use the letters to distinguish until the 'M' series. So we have M,A,F,FA,& DA (plus DFA DA L and FA J)

To search for a 'K' lens try 'SMC' as that is the real name. You will also come up with a lot of other stuff including Takumars but that's the best you can do. Except for the marketplace here and if the seller is knowledgeable they might add the 'K' as it is common (though erroneous) usage.
Damn, that seems like a nightmare to find common focal lengths then. Thanks for the information.
09-17-2014, 11:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

They're relatively rare, so if you actually want to get hold of any at reasonable prices, often patience is required. The few I have took years to get.

The only thing I can think of is adding the term "52mm" to your searches, as most earlier and later series lenses used 49mm filter threads. But then, how many people add the filter size when talking about lenses...?

09-18-2014, 02:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

For the K85, I just used 'Pentax 85mm f1.8' for example. Should be easier for those with not later versions. I found it best to just look for the grip size, and just 'SMC Pentax' on the lens name, as the later 'M' have 'Pentax-M'. Also the naming system is a simple '1:1.8/85'

I love my K85 though, the best built lens I have held, just a rock solid small lump of glass!

09-18-2014, 03:00 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not an easy search, probably the easiest way is to search them lens by lens. I went to ebay and tried searching that way and found both 24s pretty quickly. I would also cheeck K2, KX,and KM film cameras since they were the first k-mount cameras, there is a good chance for them to have a 50 or 55 lens with them. If you're lucky enough to find them with a bundled with a camera on ebay you might find a deal, alone them seem to command pretty good prices.
09-18-2014, 04:19 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
The only thing I can think of is adding the term "52mm" to your searches, as most earlier and later series lenses used 49mm filter threads. But then, how many people add the filter size when talking about lenses...?
Actually this is a very useful tip. Some used-gear vendors list the filter thread along with the item name (I'm thinking of KEH and Adorama), which in some cases helps confirm which version it is. (Both these sites are generally good about designating the lens series, but occasionally there are mistakes and the filter thread size is the tip-off.)

09-18-2014, 05:57 AM   #8

Don't forget that in most search engines you can use the - function.

For example if you could search "pentax XXmm FX.X -m -a" That particular search would return results with no m in the name and no a.
09-18-2014, 06:31 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes - Boolean Query
QuoteOriginally posted by cohny Quote
Don't forget that in most search engines you can use the - function.

For example if you could search "pentax XXmm FX.X -m -a" That particular search would return results with no m in the name and no a.
"(Asahi, Pentax) +(SMC, xx, xxmm) -(takumar, m42, screwmount, m, a, f, fa, da)" You can add SMC in the +operand but that doesn't exclude any of the later lenses. If you add SMC to the -operand you WILL exclude your K lenses.

You just have to wade through the return list by focal length. You can cut down the return list by adding common returns you want to exclude from your list - when you have what works, save your Search.
09-18-2014, 10:23 AM   #10

I think i have just found one ?

Asahi Pentax 85mm f:1.8 SMC Super Multi Coated Lens Rare K version!!! | eBay
09-18-2014, 12:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hogboy Quote
Yup, there was only one K-Mount 85mm f1.8. The 'M' version was the more compact f2 model.
There was a M42 Screwmount Takumar 85mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.9 which I believe are very similar to the K-Mount version, optically.

Thats a good deal more than I paid for mine, it was only around £260ish a month or so back.
09-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hoopsontoast Quote
Thats a good deal more than I paid for mine, it was only around £260ish a month or so back.
Beware eBay sellers using the term 'Rare'.
09-18-2014, 02:14 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
Beware eBay sellers using the term 'Rare'.
Or describe the lens as being flavored.