Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-18-2014, 12:24 AM - 1 Like   #1

Got my Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, lots of test photos

After weeks seeking I've got a well-condition Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC with an "A" label on box. The IQ is great! Better than I expected. And I haven't found any defective. Seems this is a good quality one.

The sharpness is great even at F1.4-F2, and the corner is also as good as center when step down to F4. I shot lots of "wall brick" photos and it's also great for landscape. The color is a bit lighter than pentax lenses, but with good details and tone, it become nice after I add one or two step in camera saturation setting. Since I've used to light color of old FA lenses, it's fine to me. Even it's good for portraits, since I don't get a yellow face. Purple tint is much lighter than FA*85, hard to notify.

I like it's performance, it's already got its solid position at this range. I'll learn to take portraits with this 45mm view. With FA*85, I've forgotten how to take portraits wider than shoulder. And under 45mm view, I found it's quite interesting to take a child stand with good scenes. It tells story in this range.

Check these photos please. Tell me if you cannot see them.

City wall pictures were at F4-F8:

And I forgot to change camera settings for my girl, so most pictures of her is out of focus. But I've been loving this angle of view.

09-18-2014, 12:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Which camera are you using it with? How's the autofocus speed?
09-18-2014, 12:49 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Which camera are you using it with? How's the autofocus speed?
Hi, Cal. I use K-3. I think it's as fast as FA*85, FA43, and other normal screw-driven lenses. And I haven't found any big problems with it, as well as IQ, built quality, as they usually complain. Maybe I'm lucky to pick a good one, maybe they just hidden inside and jumping out someday.
09-18-2014, 01:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Interesting - the colours are very similar to those I get with my sigma 17-70. I wasn't sure that was from your camera or the lens. I guess there must be a sigma 'look'.
I think it's a cool but slightly 'glowing' look - plus noticeable 3D feel.

09-18-2014, 03:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Brick walls done right.
The one with the dog is precious for the family album.

I'm thinking of the Sigma 30 myself. I have the FA35/2 for low light f/2 work but I'm not good friends with my copy.

How do you get along with the size of the Sigma 30?

Regards,
--Anders.
09-18-2014, 03:56 AM   #6
Forum Member

Hey great! Thanks for letting us know. I hope you continue to like it :-). I agree with you both that the colors are not the same as Pentax -- to me not necessarily less saturated but somehow less vibrant, but also not worse just different. I like the shot of your girl from above. Her size is much more apparent than in the photos you shared with your awesome 85. But speaking of the 85, you inspired me to pick up a Samyang 85 1.4 to play around with. I too just found a well-priced used copy and will have it in a few days. Cheers!
09-18-2014, 06:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Interesting - the colours are very similar to those I get with my sigma 17-70. I wasn't sure that was from your camera or the lens. I guess there must be a sigma 'look'.
I believe the blueish tint is the sigma look. I get that from the 10-20 as well, and I see it in the 50-150 shots posted here.

Not sure if that contributes to the 3D look at all though, imo that's mostly from the dof that he chose to work with.

Congrats on the good copy It's like winning a lottery!

09-18-2014, 08:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian

do you have any problems with autofocus performance that the PF Forums in-depth review mentioned?:
Review: Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM "Art" - Autofocus | PentaxForums.com Reviews

are you using center-point Spot AF or Select AF instead of the 11-point/5-point Auto-select?

thanks for the sample photos!
09-18-2014, 06:52 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I believe the blueish tint is the sigma look. I get that from the 10-20 as well, and I see it in the 50-150 shots posted here.

Not sure if that contributes to the 3D look at all though, imo that's mostly from the dof that he chose to work with.

Congrats on the good copy It's like winning a lottery!
QuoteOriginally posted by mgoblue Quote
Hey great! Thanks for letting us know. I hope you continue to like it :-). I agree with you both that the colors are not the same as Pentax -- to me not necessarily less saturated but somehow less vibrant, but also not worse just different. I like the shot of your girl from above. Her size is much more apparent than in the photos you shared with your awesome 85. But speaking of the 85, you inspired me to pick up a Samyang 85 1.4 to play around with. I too just found a well-priced used copy and will have it in a few days. Cheers!
Thanks you all a lot.

Yes, actually that is this lens' style. Someone like Pentax color style, someone doesn't, it's only personality. In K-3 it's a bit similar to Canon color, make skin look more palm. It's good for me since our lady always love to look more white. And I think it performance better in Pentax camera than other brands, since Pentax gives it more colorful looking. What will it be when mounted on a Canon camera? And seems many Nikon users complain about Sigma's yellow tint.

Thanks mgoblue, looking for your pictures on Samyang 85. It's not suit for me since my girl cannot wait for me to focus... FA*85 is really great but quite expensive and old. I think its value should equals to AF85/1.4D. It always "retouch" the faces it takes, making them more attractive than they actual face, and make my two and half years daughter looks like 4 or 5 (especially when her hair was longer). That's why I didn't sell it out to change a FA50/Da*55 for saving money and more convenient range.

And I was worried how my girl look in this S30/1.4, because FA*24 gave me a bad expression that her face got fat looking in wide lens. Now I can tell S30 is just suit for her, since she looks as same as her actual face, and a little "retouch" by the light tone it rendering. So, certainly, it's a lucky lottery for me!

QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
Brick walls done right.
The one with the dog is precious for the family album.

I'm thinking of the Sigma 30 myself. I have the FA35/2 for low light f/2 work but I'm not good friends with my copy.

How do you get along with the size of the Sigma 30?

Regards,
--Anders.
Thanks Anders. Well, sure it's much heavier and bigger than DA35/2.4 (the only 35mm I used), similar to FA*24 (I ever tried recently). Because it's lighter and smaller than FA*85, so I feel it quite fine to me. I don't think it's a problem, unless size is most critical to you. At least, it's quite small than those big zoom lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
do you have any problems with autofocus performance that the PF Forums in-depth review mentioned?:
Review: Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM "Art" - Autofocus | PentaxForums.com Reviews

are you using center-point Spot AF or Select AF instead of the 11-point/5-point Auto-select?

thanks for the sample photos!
Thanks a lot. I used select AF and most were not center-point. AF.S for landscape and AF.C for kids. Right now I didn't have that problem, the only one annoying is its focusing ring. It rotates quite powerful when AF works, often hit my finger if I forget and put hand on it. But I only used it during daytime, haven't tried it in evening. So in conclusion, this lens I got works quite well in daytime, as good as all those screw-driven lenses I ever used.

I'll post some picture in evening or room when I shoot. And hoping this one works always well and won't break itself down.