Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2014, 08:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Portrait lens direction

Alright, I am looking for a high end lens that I can do portraits with. I will list what I have and my thoughts.

I already own the following:
Tamron 17-50
Fa 43 Limited
Da*55
Vivitar 85 1.4
Tamron 70-200

I know - it is a great setup. Everything is full frame except 17-50 (I am not buying a FF until a digital Pentax one comes out so take it for what it is worth.)

The lenses I am considering are:
Sigma 30 1.4 EX - I had it before and it was awesome. This is truly an artistic lens. Very much like a wider da*55. I know there is distortion. Would part with my Tamron 17-50 for.

Pentax FA 77 - People say this is it for portrait photographers. I love my da*55 and want something a bit longer with the same caliber. Would part with my fa 43 and Vivitar 85 1.4 to get.

Pentax DA 70 - I have used it and it is pretty stellar. It isn't in the da*55 league (in my opinion) but it is close. I would part with my 85 1.4 for this.

Ultimately I want to get more compact. I love my Tamron‘s but they are bigger than primes.

I am not as sold on the fa 43 as some people, so I could stand to part with it. It is higher grade, and light, but I am not terribly impressed with my results (some are amazing, some are average). I see the Sigma giving me a better look at what I want.

The Vivitar 85 is awesome. If it was AF this wouldn't be up for debate. Ive shot it without the hood (mine didn't come with one used), but I ordered one. I have had some magical pictures with it, and feel like when I get focus, they are awesome pics. But AF and much smaller in size is attractive.

Some of you portrait guys give some thoughts. I would love the fa 31, but price is out of my range, and for what I do the majority of the time - the Sigma 30 would get it done.

I would entertain dialogue about the fa 35 f/2 also.

09-18-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You've got the DA* 55mm f1.4 and the 85mm f1.4 which on APS-C cover the traditional full frame portrait focal lengths of 85mm and 135mm.

I'd use the DA* 55mm f1.4 unless you want more working distance between you and your subject, in which case I'd go with the 85mm f1.4.

The SMC Pentax-FA* 85mm f1.4 is a good portrait lens if you wish to spend about $1,200.

Small size, fast, portrait focal length lenses are not small or light.

Regards

Chris
09-18-2014, 08:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've used my FA 50mm f/1.4 for portraits and it works out great for me. Would that working distance be too close for you?
09-18-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
sbc
Pentaxian

He already has a DA*55. That is better than the FA50.

09-18-2014, 11:52 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found that the FA77mm Ltd is a great portrait lens. It will complement nicely your DA*55mm. I have used both my VL 58mm and FA77mm for portrait and I prefer the 77mm focal length.

On the other hand, there is little difference between 85mm and 77mm IMHO, based upon my experience (I have both 77mm and 85mm lenses).

When I want to capture people in a natural position, I tend to prefer AF over MF.

For all these reasons, the FA77mm is my favorite portrait lens and I would recommend it.

My 5 cents....
09-19-2014, 02:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The FA77 is an excellent lens for portraiture:

Pentax K10D SMCP-FA77mm f/1.8 Limited - Wireless AF540FGZ+ sto-fen diffuser.

Some people tend to subconsciously freeze up when they have a big lens pointed at them, the small discrete size of the FA77 doesn't cause that kind of reaction. Though it does focus slowly and it does have issues with purple fringing* It is an excellent lens.

* Just about every lens in the 75-85mm focal range for 35mm cameras has this issue.
09-19-2014, 06:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

If shooting indoors without much room to move, using an aps-c camera, I like to use a lens in the 35mm to 90mm that has a very wide aperture, If outdoors or where I have lots of room to work with I like to take advantage of the narrower field of view and shallower depth of field that a longer telephoto lens has to offer. To me there are many highly regarded lenses for portraiture and if you are shooting in a controlled studio environment it is much easier to narrow one down to serve the mainstay purpose than if you are shooting in different random environments. Any of the ones you currently own could be used effectively, so in my opinion if you are setting up a studio where a mainstay lens could be of help then possibly a new lens might be needed, So ask yourself first what it is your current lenses aren't providing you and if there is anything you could do differently to use them more effectively to get the look you want and trying that prior to adding a new lens. That is of course unless you just have money burning a hole in your pocket you just have to spend....LOL we've all been there more times then we'd like to admit.

09-19-2014, 06:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I have the 70mm Limited. Sharp...a wonderful lens...great portraits with this.
09-19-2014, 07:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The FA77 is an excellent lens for portraiture:

Pentax K10D SMCP-FA77mm f/1.8 Limited - Wireless AF540FGZ+ sto-fen diffuser.

Some people tend to subconsciously freeze up when they have a big lens pointed at them, the small discrete size of the FA77 doesn't cause that kind of reaction. Though it does focus slowly and it does have issues with purple fringing* It is an excellent lens.

* Just about every lens in the 75-85mm focal range for 35mm cameras has this issue.
I love that shot. Nice, and funny...
09-19-2014, 07:54 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was going to make suggestions but the fact that you have the 43mm and the Da*55 and still are looking for "better" options, enrages me so I'll just shut up.
09-19-2014, 07:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
I was going to make suggestions but the fact that you have the 43mm and the Da*55 and still are looking for "better" options, enrages me so I'll just shut up.
Now let's hold the boat here for a second. I am by no means in anyway looking to replace the DA*55. To me there is no better option in that range for portraits.

The FA 43 is pretty good for a wider option for portraits, and I readily admit that. The question is there something better?

I shot some shots with my Vivitar 85 1.4 last night, and I think I am sticking with that at the moment. It doesn't meter perfect, but man it is beautiful at portraits. I would love it on a FF.
09-19-2014, 08:07 AM   #12
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by zbrueningsen Quote
Some of you portrait guys give some thoughts.
Shooting portrait sessions, I typically have the DA 50-135 on one body and Tamron 28-75 on the other. If its a small studio with speed light or mono lights or my annual Santa Claus gig, the DA 17-70 works well.. I worry a lot more about lighting, posing, engaging the client and post processing then lens choice. Here are examples of each, in the order I mentioned. .

09-19-2014, 08:15 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used the Sigma Ex Dg 85mm f1.4. Its a great lens, razor sharp with great isolation, compares very well with the FA 85mm. I sold mine because it was too specialized and I hardly used it. Like its smaller brother the Ex Dg 50mm f1.4 HSM it renders on the cooler side. I personally don't like the way the Ex line renders (I prefer the Pentax-F 50mm f1.4, and your FA 43 and DA* should be even better) As far as character goes, the DA* and the Fa 43 would please you more. The new art series coating is much better (I have the Art 18-35mm f1.8 and like its colors) Sigma is going to update the 85mm f1.4 prime, there's no news if they'll come out in K mount yet. I assume the new one will be superior to the old one but since the 50mm Art is almost a grand, the 85mm it's going to be even more expensive.

I would strongly encourage you to look into a older -F/FA 135mm f2.8 lens (I have the -F series and I love it to bits, they're incredibly sharp, have great colors and amazing bokeh (since I don't believe you own a fast 70-200 zoom, but I might be wrong)

Pentax-F 135mm f2.8 @f7.1 on K-5iis

crop:
09-19-2014, 08:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Brooke - excellent 1st picture - very captivating. I guess I should have clarified - almost everything is outdoors, so I have the length advantage. Ive read and seen good things about the tamron 28-75mm for portraits. I think studios have the large advantage of controlled light and the quality of optics aren't as closely seen (I readily admit I could be wrong since my experience is low).
Stavri, I have eyed the FA 135 for a while where people say it renders like a limited. I do have the tamron 70-200 2.8. It weighs 4x as much as the 135. It is great for longer shots, but I assume the FA 135 renders better. The tamron 70-200 is amazing for its price point.

Digitalis - hard to argue with any of your portrait advice since your work does the talking. Pretty impressed with everything I have seen of yours. I am still thinking things over, but I am thankful from input from people better at the trade than myself.
09-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #15
Brooke Meyer

Outdoors with the Tamron 28-75. No lights, no modifiers.