Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Help me choose my next lens

Hey everyone... I feel that I am ready to purchase my next lens, but I need your help in choosing which lens to get... This is my current lineup:

DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 WR
DA 35mm f/2.4
DA 50mm f/1.8

I love all of these lenses and am happy with the quality and results I get from them. I am anticipating another Black Friday sale to happen for the bulk of Pentax lenses and I feel this will be the best time to pick one up...

The plastic fantastics are awesome lenses, but I am ready to take it to the next level... I want to add a serious lens to my collection.. Something that can help me take my photography to the next level... This is where I need help from you all.

I suppose you all need to know what I shoot in order to make a proper recommendation... It's pretty varied... Recently i've been shooting my 3 year old son more than anything (at the playground, the beach, outside, etc.) I also shoot outdoors, nature, really anything that catches my eye... I know this is fairly non specific in terms of narrowing down a good lens to recommend...

Ultimately I want to take it up a notch and get a lens that can outshine what I already have and produce sharper images...

I was thinking about the SMCP FA 77mm f/1.8 lens... It seems to be one of the best K mount Pentax lenses that exists today, and from what i've read on here it sounds like one of the sharpest as well.

My only concern with this lens is the limiting focal length... Certainly I know that this focal length only has so many uses, and all of them will be outdoors and of moderate distance from the subject... Are there other options that are just as sharp/good as this lens, but of other focal lengths that are more useful?

I would prefer my new lens compliment my existing collection, unless this new lens could replace something I have due to the closeness in focal length and betterment in quality ( SMCP FA 31mm f/1.8 perhaps?)

Any constructive input is greatly appreciated

09-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
After buying a budget tele lens 7 years ago - I gained an appreciation of birds and the night sky. It was a bit like a whole new world opens up when you have a 300mm lens.
So I recommend the WR55-300 - it's the lens I'd miss most from your line up.
That, and a tripod and maybe a flash - they are more important for sharper images, if you want them from your existing lens collection.
09-21-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah the 77 is a touch odd with its focal length, but it's only really a problem indoors when a group suddenly appears (and then it's a quick change for the da 50). Outdoors you'll never have a problem though (and it's surprisingly good as a landscape lens!)

The da40 is a great toddler lens (the focus is fast, and the image quality is great - better bokeh and less ca's than the plastic fantastics). It hasn't really excited me as much since I've picked up the 77 though!

The da21 might be worth considering. It's great wide open if you don't mind getting close to your subject, and crawling on the ground looking for odd perspectives! Stopped down its a very nice little landscape lens.

The fa 43 and 31 are ones I've never tried, but now I've seen what the 77 can do, I'd quite like that rendering at a slightly wider FOV! (Though you'd have to pry the 77 from my cold dead hands!)
09-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Here is my lens line up: 15mm, 21mm, F28, 31mm, 40mm Ltd., 43mm, F50, and DA70. (I don't have the 77mm yet, and there are several others that are interesting to me so please note the list is not complete)

That said, anything on the list there and you will be golden as far as lenses go. Believe me when I say I spent a lot of time researching and buying and selling lenses...I can personally vouch for those on my list. It took me ages to build what I have.

If you want prime lenses (or really anything for that matter) I would say monitor the market place here.

As for focal length there are plenty of choices. If it was me in that boat though, I would probably go with something wide. 15mm or 21mm and then concentrate on composition with the stuff you have.

09-21-2014, 07:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shaX 07 Quote
Recently i've been shooting my 3 year old son more than anything (at the playground, the beach, outside, etc.) I also shoot outdoors, nature, really anything that catches my eye... I know this is fairly non specific in terms of narrowing down a good lens to recommend...

Ultimately I want to take it up a notch and get a lens that can outshine what I already have and produce sharper images...
Rather than a specific lens, you may get a lot of benefit from learning how to shoot RAW and post-process your photos.
There are many good online tutorials, and you can also see what people are doing and talking about here.

Digital Processing, Software, and Printing - PentaxForums.com
09-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Something wide like the 15 or 12-24.
09-21-2014, 08:47 PM   #7
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you considered a Tamron 90? Very sharp and arguably more versatile than a 77 because of the macro capability. Macro is a lot of fun. Could also help teach your child to look at the wonder in small things.

Otherwise, I would suggest expanding the focal range, either with a long tele (70-200mm f2.8 for speed, 300mm prime for reach) or an ultrawide (e.g. 15mm Ltd or DA 12-24). Each requires new skills to get the best from them.

But before leaping in to an expensive purchase, I would suggest asking yourself why you are not satisfied with the results from your existing lenses (which are all good). As lytrytyr suggests, if you want to take your photography to the next level, investing first in improving technique and PP skills might be more profitable. Even if you are very experienced, there is always more to learn.

09-21-2014, 09:25 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I would almost recommend longer things, like the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8.
09-21-2014, 09:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The most obvious gap is at the long end. The HD Pentax-DA 55-300 WR would give you some affordable reach for wildlife, or if your budget extends to it, the DA*60-250 is very highly regarded.
09-22-2014, 01:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 WR
DA 35mm f/2.4
DA 50mm f/1.8
One can litterally go all sides with this question. Look at something you'll know will challenge you.
That could be wider (da15 or 12-24) or longer ( 77, DFA100 macro or a 55 300) . Guess these lenses or similar focal lengths will add most to you current line up.

I feel you don't need to pay too much attention to what you currently shoot. having a different focal length at you disposal will automatically redirect you to look differently at things.
my 2 cents...
09-22-2014, 02:34 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I want to add a serious lens to my collection.. Something that can help me take my photography to the next level... This is where I need help from you all.
no lens will take your photography to the next level. it is only up to the individual to learn and improve over time and to develop an eye for composition and stunning images. take robert paul jansen for example. some of his best work was taken with an iphone.
only piece of advice i can give you is if you're still not sure on what focal length you need, wait a little until you're certain. can you remember situations where you've felt that your lineup was insufficient and might have said to yourself "if i had this lens id probably take a really good shot?"

i think you can narrow things down a bit by deciding if size and weight is an issue. I have the 3 lenses that you own as well and the way I see them is as follows :

18-135mm - All round holiday lens, ideal for any situation, WR
35mm - Usually for street photography and full body or group shots
50mm - Portraits

However I do find myself using my A-50mm F1.4 more than the DA 50mm even though its an AF lens as opposed to the A-50mm being a MF. I use the DA50mm when I certainly need AF and dont have much time to focus manually (since its difficult below f2).
Theres some spectacular manual lenses out there as well which can be found really cheap if you're willing to try the MF route.

Last edited by schnitzer79; 09-22-2014 at 05:05 AM.
09-22-2014, 03:15 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Bonjour,

If you are thinking about the 77/1.8 (length) I would suggest that you take a look at the D FA 100/2.8 Macro WR.

It's an excellent lens that will do most of what a 77/1.8 will do (as far as portraits, just further away), plus it's a 1:1 Macro and with WR, so you can go everywhere with it ... and a wonderful short telephoto.

I have both, and if one "had to go", it would be the 77/1.8 ... no contest, for my needs/style.

Salut, J
09-22-2014, 04:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Your DA 18-135 WR is a good place to begin looking for what you need next. If you are zooming in to 135 all the time and the subject of your photo ends up as a small dot in the center, you probably want something longer, like the DA 55-300. If you find yourself zooming out to 18 and then walking backwards most of the time, you probably want something wider, perhaps the DA 15 Limited. It doesn't sound like you are doing macro, but your 18-135 can already get pretty close.

Most people in your position would go for a longer lens before a wider lens. One way of doing this on a budget would be to purchase an older, used, 2x teleconverter from ebay. For less than $20, you can test-drive your primes as 70mm and 100mm. If one of those is really working well for you, then invest in a full-time prime.

And, like someone else already said, consider a flash and a tripod. These tools add a great amount of versatility to your kit.
09-22-2014, 04:53 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I were spending your money , I'd get a 15 or 21 Ltd. I have the 21 and it is a joy to use with stellar IQ and surprising closeup abilities that give a lot of context due to the wide focal length.

I don't have kids, but in my mind a zoom would be useful...but hey, you're gravitating towards the 77, don't let me talk you out of it!

Edit: I see you mention sharpness several times. If you are not satisfied with the sharpness of your current lineup, macro lenses are the ticket. (As some others have suggested.) You will notice a difference from your current lineup. I recently sold my Sigma 105 macro, and that puppy was tack sharp at f/2.8, and razor sharp beyond that. Focusing speed was slowish though. Something to consider.

Last edited by filoxophy; 09-22-2014 at 04:59 AM.
09-22-2014, 06:04 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Other people here have much more experience than me, but I'll add my two cents.

I wasn't thinking about a telephoto lens, but I saw a good price on an FA*300, so I bought it thinking I'd return it if I didn't like it. Well, I love that lens. It gives me the ability to get shots I cannot get with the rest of my kit. It's one thing to improve the quality of what you're already doing, and another to open up new possibilities. You decide which you'd like to do and go from there. I recommend the DFA100 or a 300.