Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-22-2014, 03:28 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Another lens-advice question

In recent year I have reconsidered my lens needs and have sold and bought some equipment.
I ended up with two kits:
Travel kit:
DA 18-138WR
DA 50-200WR
DA 35/2.4

HiQ kit:
DA 10-17 FE
Tamron 17-50/2.8
DA* 50-135
DFA 100 MACRO

And I have also several good old manuals.

My question is - what next?
My way was this:
I had sold my consumers zooms (18-200, 70-300), and I had sold HD55-300 because my copy has same IQ on 200mm as my 50-200WR. And on 300mm is the same IQ as on 200mm upsampled. I know that quite all folks here are satisfied wtith IQ of 55-300 - maybe it only my copy is so mediocre. And I realized, that I don't need long telephoto for my purposes. I must say that I'm not quite satisfied with Da35/2.4 either. It is not bad, but not better than Tamron on 35mm and outdoor, stopped to f6.3 or f8 not much better than my 18-135 to justify nonWR and single FL. My old manual lenses are way better, but I need something AF.
I'm not satisfied with my Tamron. It has inconsistent IQ and I cannot rely on it. Sometimes shots are very nice, sharp, but very often flat and unsharp images, even on f7.1 or so. ANd I found it more noisy - dont meen AF noise, but ISO noise. On same ISO as my kit it has more noise - It is possible or it is just my paranoia? So I'm almost decided to sell it. But what do get instead of it? I hoped, that Photokina reveals something like upgraded DA*16-50, but not.

If I sell Tamron I need some fast lens on that FL. Which way I should go?

I consider saving up to new Sigma 18-35 (here $930) and maybe filling gap to 50mm with da40( $550). Or is DA*16-50 so good to justify expense ($1200)? And what about Sigma 17-50/2.8 EX (price here dropped to $540). Is there something what I overlook?

Thanks for your advices.

09-22-2014, 03:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Da*300

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 09-22-2014 at 04:42 AM.
09-22-2014, 03:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jannis Quote
On same ISO as my kit it has more noise - It is possible or it is just my paranoia?
That is paranoia, if the exposures are identical the noise profile will look the same.
09-22-2014, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
That is paranoia, if the exposures are identical the noise profile will look the same.
Actually the light transmitted (T-stop) can be different for the same f-stop.

---------- Post added 09-22-2014 at 09:12 PM ----------

Jannis do you prefer primes or zooms? I have a couple of zooms for convenience and then high quality primes for quality/pleasure. The limiteds are simply a joy to use, where as fast zooms while more convenient, weigh a ton. No matter what you go for the best thing to do is have a look at the photos a lens produces to get an idea if the rendering of the lens appeals to you. Which country are you buying from by the way? US, Aus, NZ?

09-22-2014, 04:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote

---------- Post added 09-22-2014 at 09:12 PM ----------

Jannis do you prefer primes or zooms? I have a couple of zooms for convenience and then high quality primes for quality/pleasure. The limiteds are simply a joy to use, where as fast zooms while more convenient, weigh a ton. No matter what you go for the best thing to do is have a look at the photos a lens produces to get an idea if the rendering of the lens appeals to you. Which country are you buying from by the way? US, Aus, NZ?
We are talking about two different kinds of exposures. I talk about the photometric actual exposure and you talk about exposure as a function of photographic variables, it's two different things.
09-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #6
Pentaxian

If you're not happy with the IQ of the Tamron 17-50 and the DA 35 2.4, there's only one remedy for that, as far as I know... Limiteds and * prime lenses.
09-22-2014, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I must say that I'm not quite satisfied with Da35/2.4
Look at the DA40 Limited. and try to find it used, you'll save a bunch.

I'm not satisfied with my Tamron.
surprising, most people love it.

ANd I found it more noisy - dont meen AF noise, but ISO noise
That's not a lens issue, ISO is strictly sensor.

I'd say if you're not happy with that lens, consider the Sigma 17-70. It's not as fast at all apertures, but it's extremely well-regarded and covers many bases. You could throw in a DA21 too if you really want to

09-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all advices.

Jannis do you prefer primes or zooms? I have a couple of zooms for convenience and then high quality primes for quality/pleasure
I thought that I like primes more - but then I bought DA*50-135 I have been excited. So joy to use and really nice images. So i started belive taht zooms can beat primes.

Which country are you buying from by the way? US, Aus, NZ?
I'm from Czech Republic, so I must buy here or from European union - otherwise - duty, tax, customs and shipping will be so high that I can buy new ones from local store for price of used form US + tax...

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
surprising, most people love it(Tamron 17-50).
I know it. I think that I have some AF probles. I sent it for calibration - it takes month - and not better. Focusing incosistency - some FL BF, some FF... I need lens that I can rely on it... I think, if I can get better one I will be satisfied. If I'm focusing manually, IQ is good. I don't want to sell it and buy another one, becouse I don't want to risk to get another bad piece and used market is quite odd with pentax gear here. Is hard to sell and is hard to buy. New one is $470 but i can sell it to used schop for only $180... And I think that DA35/2.4 has quality issues as well. My friend has very inconsistent AF with his copy. But his copy was sharper than my.
Look at the DA40 Limited. and try to find it used, you'll save a bunch.
Yes, its my plan If I can find one... BTW - what about XS40? Its worth to buy it?

consider the Sigma 17-70
And will it be IQ upgrade from 18-135?
You could throw in a DA21 too if you really want to
Yes, I'm thinking about it. Instead of zoom in short FL, two or three primes. DA21 DA40 (DA35) (DA15)... But had anyone experience with Sigma 18-35 in comparation to limited? It can take role of three of them - so $1500 for primes or $930 for Sigma...

But again, thanks for your help.
09-23-2014, 05:02 AM   #9
Pentaxian

what about XS40? Its worth to buy it?
I have not used it, but by all accounts it's excellent. You loose a few things, namely the build quality, quick-shift, hood and filter thread, but it's less expensive and its IQ is comparable to the limited.
09-23-2014, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

My kit is the 18-135 for a travel zoom, and the DA15, 21, 35macro for when I want/need higher IQ. I also carry a Sigma 30/1.4 and a SuperTak 50/1.4 to satisfy my large aperture desires. At the long end, it's a Tamron 70-200/2.8 zoom. It truly gives me prime quality in a zoom lens. The 50-135 is more or less the same.

There is no reason in my mind to get a zoom better than my 18-135 but worse than the primes. The Limited Primes are just amazing. They have a close minimum focus distance, and you can take shots with the sun in the frame. Sharp, amazing colors, very little PF. All reasons to love them.
09-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I just done some tests shots (tripod, etc) and found, that problem is probably in T-stop. If I shoot same scene (controlled light) with Tamron@35mm f3.5 and my DA 35 AL (t 1/20, ISO 400) - I need to rise up exposure in Camera raw by 2/3 to get similar histogram and picture- and now, noise in photo taken with Tammy is noticable more noisy...

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
There is no reason in my mind to get a zoom better than my 18-135 but worse than the primes.
You are right. But the question is - Is there any zoom lens in short FL that is as good or better than primes? I have three lenses in mind - Sigma 17-50EX, Pentax DA*16-50 and Sigma 18-35 A. I read about Tamron 17-50 that it is bunch of primes - but it isn'n - at least my piece not. But my DA*50-135 is. It is better then da 50/1.8 and at least on par with DA70 ltd, (tested only one piece...). Is there anyone that have both - high quality¨zoom and limiteds?

Thanks to all.
09-24-2014, 12:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The sigma 18-35 is definitely on par with all but the very best primes. Its issues are weight, focus accuracy that needs a dock to adjust, weight, Bokeh donuts, weight, flare control compared to 15/21ltd (not bad for a zoom), and finally weight!
If you need low light performance the the 18-35 is the best zoom you can get. In bright daylight conditions I would rather a Da ltd for the colour and flare control, but the sigma does not lack for sharpness. The Da* is more suited to portraiture work for me, where sharpness is not as big a concern but out of focus rendering is.
09-24-2014, 01:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

If you're not happy with the Tamron and DA35/2.4, replace them with a combo of DA21 and DA35macro, I think you won't need the DA40. That's what I'm using when there's time to switch lenses.

And the DA*300 will be your answer for the long end. (I'm thinking of it for myself too)
09-29-2014, 02:40 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
End of the story is: I had bought sigma 18-35. It is nice lens, but focusing issues are too bad, so I returned it. Now, I'm proud owner of 21ltd and it is really good lens with unique rendering. Not as sharp as Sigma, but stop down it a bit and it is marvelous. It has some kind of character that is beyond simple sharpness, contrast etc. It just makes shots nice and I don't know, how

Thanks to all and good light
09-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would sell the 18-135 and the 50-200 and settle on one kit. Leave what you want at home if traveling but 10-135 should be sufficient for all you do for travel.

Add a 300/4 for reach,