Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2014, 01:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

FA 43 Limited replacement hood - LH-X100?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello good people of photography,

Since I'm reluctant to use the original hood on my silver FA 43, I am looking for a replacement that will also look nice, hence my question:
does the dedicated hood for the fuji x100 (LH-X100) fit on a regular 49mm thread and has anyone had experience with it?
The fuji hood looks pretty nice and aftermarket versions can be had on ebay for ~5$. Unfortunately, I did not find an aftermarket solution for a silver MH-RA49.

Other suggestions will be greatly appreciated as well.

Pablo

Edit: here are a few links for reference -
LH-X100 on B&H
LH-X100 on Ebay

Last edited by Pablom; 09-23-2014 at 01:58 AM.
09-23-2014, 02:08 AM   #2
Forum Member

I bought a few of those three section collapsible rubber hoods for about $4 each and use them on all my lenses. My 43ltd really loves the hood. Like you I am not keen on the original hood, it's fiddly and spendy if lost...I mount the rubber hood which has filter threads as well and use a pinch type lens cap then never take it off unless I'm using Cokin style filters.

It might not be as "protective" as the original metal hood but I've never had an issue. Anyway just my solution to the same dilema.
09-23-2014, 06:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snipenekkid Quote
I bought a few of those three section collapsible rubber hoods for about $4 each and use them on all my lenses. My 43ltd really loves the hood. Like you I am not keen on the original hood, it's fiddly and spendy if lost...I mount the rubber hood which has filter threads as well and use a pinch type lens cap then never take it off unless I'm using Cokin style filters.

It might not be as "protective" as the original metal hood but I've never had an issue. Anyway just my solution to the same dilema.
Thanks, I already have a bunch of these rubber ones and some made of metal as well. They are all effective but I'm just looking for something that will look nicer, and maybe more convenient with that bayonet mechanism the Fuji has.
09-23-2014, 07:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

This is the old standard Takumar hood.It should be about the right size on your FA 43. I have since bought a longer one for my FA 50.

09-23-2014, 07:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use a DA40 hood on mine......a knock off on ebay is $17 plus $2 for a 31mm pinch cap
09-23-2014, 08:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
Hello good people of photography,

Since I'm reluctant to use the original hood on my silver FA 43, I am looking for a replacement that will also look nice, hence my question:
does the dedicated hood for the fuji x100 (LH-X100) fit on a regular 49mm thread and has anyone had experience with it?
The fuji hood looks pretty nice and aftermarket versions can be had on ebay for ~5$. Unfortunately, I did not find an aftermarket solution for a silver MH-RA49.

Other suggestions will be greatly appreciated as well.

Pablo

Edit: here are a few links for reference -
LH-X100 on B&H
LH-X100 on Ebay
I'm pretty sure that the bayonet adapter part of the Fuji X100 has female 49mm thread.
I don't think it will work.
09-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Given that with the crop factor you're looking at an equivalent angle to a 64.5mm lens, do you think a hood intended for an even wider lens is going to help much?

I use a cheap aftermarket 85mm metal hood on my 55mm f/1.2 lens and it doesn't seem to add any vignetting, and definitely makes a noticeable improvement in images taken in bright light.

09-28-2014, 04:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Given that with the crop factor you're looking at an equivalent angle to a 64.5mm lens, do you think a hood intended for an even wider lens is going to help much?
Yes I do.
And still my quest here is for an aesthetically pleasing solution for my silver lens, for which I already own plenty of lens hoods, all of them being very effective.

---------- Post added 28th Sep 2014 at 14:48 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I'm pretty sure that the bayonet adapter part of the Fuji X100 has female 49mm thread.
I don't think it will work.
I'm afraid you are right.

I'm thinking maybe using a reversal ring like this one will do the trick.

Any reason why it wouldn't work?

---------- Post added 28th Sep 2014 at 14:50 ----------

Would love to know if there is someone who owns both x100 and FA43 and can check this issue.

Last edited by Pablom; 09-28-2014 at 05:25 AM.
09-28-2014, 05:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is what I use as per post 5

by Noelpolar, on Flickr

by Noelpolar, on Flickr
09-28-2014, 05:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
This is what I use as per post 5

by Noelpolar, on Flickr

by Noelpolar, on Flickr
Thanks noelpolar, that looks great and unobtrusive as well!

The silver one might be even better, if it is even possible to get one.