Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which lens should win this round?
DA 15mm F4 Limited 11089.43%
DA 14mm F2.8 1310.57%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens Tournament: DA 15/4 Limited vs DA 14/2.8

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the knockout round of the Greatest Pentax Lens Tournament! The rules are simple: Two lenses enter. You must choose one. The winner moves to Knockout Round Two. The loser is gone. Check out the bracket here, which is based on the user nomination results.

In this wide-angle knockout match, the SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 Limited faces the SMC Pentax-DA 14mm F2.8.

Make your choice by voting in the poll above. You will need to log in or register if you don't yet have a forum account.
Feel free to argue, persuade, and generally carry on after that. Voting will be open for exactly 24 hours.

Lens info:

Full tournament bracket

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-19-2014, 09:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DA15, a truly unique jewel in Pentaxland.
10-19-2014, 09:28 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
ooh that magic little 15! I love it.
10-19-2014, 10:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
14mm with a large aperture of f/2.8. Also it slightly a wider angle lens.

10-19-2014, 10:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ebooks4pentax Quote
14mm with a large aperture of f/2.8. Also it slightly a wider angle lens.
Yes, but almost everybody has something like the 14/2.8. Only Pentax has the DA 15/4.
10-19-2014, 11:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Yes, but almost everybody has something like the 14/2.8. Only Pentax has the DA 15/4.
Not a solid argument, the FA31 is not better because of the +1mm in focal length. But a good argument still...
Both have good build quality, both are soft in corners, both have short min. focus distance, one is smaller but the one is faster (and hence bigger).
Tough call. But I foresee the obvious winner here. And vote against it.

Seb
10-20-2014, 12:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You don't have to look at too many photos to tell the DA15's a better lens.

10-20-2014, 12:48 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
Not a solid argument, the FA31 is not better because of the +1mm in focal length. But a good argument still...
Both have good build quality, both are soft in corners, both have short min. focus distance, one is smaller but the one is faster (and hence bigger).
Tough call. But I foresee the obvious winner here. And vote against it.

Seb
I consider this to be a contest of the best Pentax lens... and perhaps I'm taking this in a bit of a different direction than others, but I do believe there is something inherently different (not necessarily saying superior, just different) in the Pentax ethos. So, IMO, the DA 15/4 is not simply an outstanding lens, its "very Pentax" - a unique product.
10-20-2014, 12:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

How can either of these be the "Greatest Pentax Lens of All Time" when they only work with APS-C DSLRs made since 2003? They don't cover the full image circle on 35mm film, and even if they did they have no aperture ring compatible with the classic film-era cameras. And they will become pretty much instantly obsolete when the "full frame" DSLR is finally launched.

I'd like to propose a very simple test that can be applied to any contender in this competition: "If it doesn't work on a K1000, it can't be the Greatest Pentax Lens of All Time."
10-20-2014, 02:13 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
How can either of these be the "Greatest Pentax Lens of All Time" when they only work with APS-C DSLRs made since 2003? They don't cover the full image circle on 35mm film, and even if they did they have no aperture ring compatible with the classic film-era cameras. And they will become pretty much instantly obsolete when the "full frame" DSLR is finally launched.

I'd like to propose a very simple test that can be applied to any contender in this competition: "If it doesn't work on a K1000, it can't be the Greatest Pentax Lens of All Time."
This time both lenses are APS-C only lenses. We are all able to vote against any APS-C only lens. And we might do so. Eiher one of these are surely better than the M50/2.
I would be surprised if the winner of any category would not be FF compatible.

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I consider this to be a contest of the best Pentax lens... and perhaps I'm taking this in a bit of a different direction than others, but I do believe there is something inherently different (not necessarily saying superior, just different) in the Pentax ethos. So, IMO, the DA 15/4 is not simply an outstanding lens, its "very Pentax" - a unique product.
I saw your point and accepted it. The DA15/4 is very pentax in size and build. Like the M-series that I adore.

Seb
10-20-2014, 04:21 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The DA 15mm Ltd has a lot of goodness contained in a small package!

- Need to include a wide-angle on your next trip? Throw it in the bag, it's small and light. Check.
- Wide angle with minimal distortion? Check.
- Need a 'foreground lens'? Perfect.
- Sometimes forget to bring a hood? No problem - it's built in.
- Need to set hyperfocal distance? Easy.

- Craig
10-20-2014, 06:37 AM   #12
Forum Member

DA 14 F2.8 is wider and faster but that is just paper characteristic. I voted for DA 15 F4 limited.
10-20-2014, 08:01 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
The DA 15mm Ltd has a lot of goodness contained in a small package!

- Need to include a wide-angle on your next trip? Throw it in the bag, it's small and light. Check.
- Wide angle with minimal distortion? Check.
- Need a 'foreground lens'? Perfect.
- Sometimes forget to bring a hood? No problem - it's built in.
- Need to set hyperfocal distance? Easy.

- Craig
-need to aim it at the sun? Look ma, no flaring.
-need lovely 14-pt stars? Best of the line for this.
-say, is that a DA15/4 in your shirt pocket?
10-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #14

I own both the 14 & 15

With close focus and 2.8, got to choose the 14. I do love a beautifully machined lens with BI hood, the 15 is in the limited club which has excellent glass.
10-24-2014, 11:15 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I own both, if the DA14 had 9 blade instead of 6 and had just a little of the magic pixey dust that the DA15 has it would have given the DA15 a serious run. However, the DA15 is just a brilliant lens period. The DA14 is very good too but just not magic.