Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2014, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lens Tournament comment

This post is not an attempt to throw cold water on the entertainment value of the Lens Tournament (it is entertainment, right?). Heck, I haven't even read each and every comment interspersed between the voting affirmations. I am struck, however, by the angst among our members in having to choose one family member over another. We all have our favorites for particular situations of course - few if any of us tote our entire collection with us when out taking pictures. But isn't it nice to know that in the end we have a great selection of current and past high performers to choose from? And that, dear members, is a good part of what makes choosing so difficult.

Jeff

10-24-2014, 07:54 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It probably isn't that big a deal. So many of the lenses that are in the pool aren't even available currently -- whether you could find a copy of the A *200 macro or the FA * 200 macro is uncertain and even if you could, the price will probably be more than the bank account will take. At the same time, it is interesting to think about all of the great lenses Pentax has had over time and how they compare to newer lenses with newer coatings.

However great the old manual focus lenses may be, I will buy lenses that have auto focus, just because I like it.
10-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think the all idea of lens tournament is a bit silly, but still does no harm ...and actually if the pairings are lenses which are similar, the following discussion may lead to some interesting points about those particular lenses - of course supposing that people writing comments know both lenses from their own experience....
10-24-2014, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamarley Quote
... few if any of us tote our entire collection with us when out taking pictures.
You don't? NOW you tell me. I could have gotten a much smaller backpack,. DOH!

10-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
You don't? NOW you tell me. I could have gotten a much smaller backpack,. DOH!
Yes, and my back and neck would ache a whole lot less!
10-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

pure entertainment indeed.
Though now i think the street price of a lucky old legacy lens is about to spike.
This whole contest format is akin to determining, "who is the best member of your family",
so keep it light, folks.
10-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Though now i think the street price of a lucky old legacy lens is about to spike.
This whole contest format is akin to determining, "who is the best member of your family",
so keep it light, folks.
once you are at that point, you are really screwed. there are no best members in any family, that's how jealousy starts

my supertak 50/1.4 is gloating at the moment however

10-24-2014, 12:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
so keep it light, folks.
Per the contest rules "The winning lens in each match goes to the next round; the loser goes home."
As ours is an empty nest now I doubt we can adhere to the go home part.
And I'm not keen on a family vote anyway - my wife feeds the dog & bird more than I, so I would probably come in fourth!

And yes mikeSF, it is pure entertainment, though it does evoke a different sort of comment than we see in our lens database.
10-24-2014, 12:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Any lens without an aperture ring is incomplete, that makes voting easy in these first round of this silly contest.
10-24-2014, 12:41 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Voting is an exercise in self discipline. In my case, if I haven't owned the lens (now or in the past) I didn't nominate it, no matter the reputation. So far, I've declined to vote when one of my lenses is in a gunfight - though I might comment. It's all in how we handle it.

And as I've written, I will pursue certain SMC 'K' series lenses to the ends of the earth and back regardless of coating and lens formula improvements in certain classes. I don't recall reading anywhere in the Rules a requirement for rational determination.
10-24-2014, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glasbak Quote
Any lens without an aperture ring is incomplete,
You mean like any car without a hand crank on the front to start it with?
10-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by glasbak Quote
Any lens without an aperture ring is incomplete, that makes voting easy in these first round of this silly contest.
and in other news, the horseless carriage is beginning to catch on.

10-24-2014, 01:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

and in other news, the horseless carriage is beginning to catch on.

based on all the K and M glass getting love in the contest, I think most nominators pre date the wheel...
10-24-2014, 05:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm actually really enjoying the lens contest. I'm new to cameras and Pentax, and it's introduced me to a lot of lenses, especially older ones, that I'd never even heard of before.