Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Quick Question on Quick Shift

Since I just got a DFA 100 WR, I've become much more aware of the value of the Quick Shift feature. First, I discovered (and appreciated) that by quickly focusing manually in low light conditions I can help the lens achieve a faster AF lock. Then I began to use it more as it was designed - to fine tune the focus to better align with what I want versus what the AF latches onto. So now my thought is a bit esoteric - when looking at the Exif info, if you've used Quick Shift, it's now neither fish nor fowl (not exactly AF, but not fully MF either). This is not a complaint, rather an observation.

Jeff

10-30-2014, 05:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So what's the question?
10-30-2014, 05:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
So what's the question?
Yeah, the title became poorly worded the more I typed. Don't know if it can be changed at this point. It popped into my head as a question but the more I thought about it and especially when putting the thought to words here in the forum it simply became a comment.
10-30-2014, 06:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
So what's the question?
The question appears to be "what's the question?"

11-01-2014, 11:28 AM   #5
Forum Member

quickshift? Would it be more useful taking macros when you focus and then doing multiple shots but focus on diff areas then stack them all up???
11-01-2014, 02:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

also, if you want to focus a certain distance into your field but not on a specific object. You can lock on an object, the use QS to rock slightly back and forth to place plane of focus precisely where you want it. that is a landscape approach to QS anyway
11-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm a little lost as to how you guys do this. My technique is broken, I focus and get exposure then release the button and try shifting focus...only to realize when I push the button again it will change! My guess is that this stems from glasses and being left eye dominant, I compose and withdraw my eye prior to checking the view again and posting the button.

11-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bradshea Quote
I'm a little lost as to how you guys do this. My technique is broken, I focus and get exposure then release the button and try shifting focus...only to realize when I push the button again it will change! My guess is that this stems from glasses and being left eye dominant, I compose and withdraw my eye prior to checking the view again and posting the button.
if you use back button AF, you can separate the two easily. otherwise AE-L is useful
11-02-2014, 06:29 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
if you use back button AF, you can separate the two easily. otherwise AE-L is useful
Is back button af available on the k50?
11-02-2014, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #10
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bradshea Quote
Is back button af available on the k50?
Yes. You can program the (I think) AE-L button to AF. Then disable AF from shutter button half-press. It will really make QS a lot more useful.
11-02-2014, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

right, the K-50 shares a button for AE-L and AF, so assigning it to AF allows you to re-focus only when you want and not every time you half press the shutter.
11-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Ah yeah, I never really thought about QS and exif. And I, too, have changed AF away from shutter button, so camera AFs only when I press the AE-L button. This, with quickshift, allows really precise focusing, reasonably fast. I think there was a thread about this, "Perfect focus everytime" if you want more opinions on the different focusing technique
QS is invaluable with the DFA 100mm macro, since the lens has a long focus throw and no focus limiter (I would still like a focus limiter on there, though)
11-04-2014, 07:00 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Ah yeah, I never really thought about QS and exif. And I, too, have changed AF away from shutter button, so camera AFs only when I press the AE-L button. This, with quickshift, allows really precise focusing, reasonably fast. I think there was a thread about this, "Perfect focus everytime" if you want more opinions on the different focusing technique
QS is invaluable with the DFA 100mm macro, since the lens has a long focus throw and no focus limiter (I would still like a focus limiter on there, though)
Exactly what I'm saying, except in my sometimes wandering mind I DID think about the exif info. I guess it just goes to show that no matter how complex systems design becomes it still cannot complete with the human mind. We always find ways to do something that software cannot anticipate.

Jeff