Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-31-2014, 09:58 AM   #1
Inactive Account

28mm Shift lens focus issue

Has anyone ever adjusted the focus ring on a 28mm Shift Lens, mine is focusing infinity at 1.5 metres. I have not been able to find any service manuals on the web or forums for this lens. The focus ring is not behind the name plate as on other Pentax Lenses.

11-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also have the Shift lens, and fortunately mine focuses as expected. In terms of a do it yourself repair, I would not have an idea as to where to start. Also, I don't know of a service manual.

However, I do know Eric who has been repairing Pentax pretty exclusively since the 60's, does know and certainly has the skills.Eric is a living legend here in Pentax-land. He is known for superb quality work, fair and excellent pricing. I have used him on several occasions (lenses). He offers estimates via email.
07-24-2017, 04:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry for digging up this old thread, but I'm having the same issue with my K28 Shift. I had never noticed this in the old days when I still used it (on a low res 6MP body, which could explain why I didn't). But I took it out recently and found out about it doesn't focus to infinity. :-( Did anyone find out more in the mean time about adjusting infinity focus on this lens?

Tx!! Wim
07-24-2017, 10:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian

It might require additional shimming. At 28 mm 0.2 mm offset can result in serious short focusing.
I would check with Pentax as these adjustments are typically not just adjustment of the focus ring position.

10-04-2017, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For reference, yesterday I completed focus adjust of Ishpuini's lens. Here is how to do it:

repair Pentax 28mm lens Disclai - pentaxke | ello

So adjusting infinity focus is not done with spacers/shims (that was a first for me.) It's not for the fain of heart, but with a little of perseverance and patience it is a pretty straight forward adjust (only that Wim's lens clearly has fallen and that adjusting focus meant that the rear part of the optical group interfered with the gelatine filter holder and made shifting near impossible. I resorted moving this holder to the back with 4 little shims. That part is not included because it was specific to Wim's lens.

If any questions, please ask!