Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KEH "as is" lens sample (wiith video) YMMV.

I purchased a "bargain" KX slr from KEH and decided to take a gamble on a lens from their new "as is" category, a 35mm f2.8 for $41.00. The KX is their typical "bargain" body, cosmetically in reasonably used condition, good seals, appears to be mechanically sound and ready for a test roll. The exterior needs a good once over with a toothbrush for the nooks and crannies. Again, typical for their bargain bodies and, so far, another good deal. A test roll with a good lens will tell but I've always had good luck with SLR bodies and rangefinders from KEH.

Okay, enough kudos about the body and on to the lens. The "as is" category is new to KEH and this is my first "as is" purchase from them. An "excellent" rated version of this lens was $175.00. My "as is" lens clearly needs a good professional cleaning so I'll have to get a quote and see if it was the bargain I hoped for. Here is a video showing the condition of the glass. I've quarantined the lens from my others for fear of fungus spreading.

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 11-27-2014 at 08:46 PM.
11-27-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hmmm, may not end up being such a bargain - problem with "as is" is that it could include anything, so I'm not too sure I'd buy in that category, if your video is anything to go by. If it's the category below "bargain", they apparently do not consider it a bargain. I have heard positive feedback about the "bargain" category, though.
11-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by demondata Quote
Hmmm, may not end up being such a bargain - problem with "as is" is that it could include anything, so I'm not too sure I'd buy in that category, if your video is anything to go by. If it's the category below "bargain", they apparently do not consider it a bargain. I have heard positive feedback about the "bargain" category, though.
I've bought mostly "bargain" rated gear from KEH and have always been very happy. This was a roll of the dice and I crapped out, such is the nature of buying "as is". So, I'll get a quote for a thorough cleaning and if it totals out to what the "excellent" rated lens would have cost then nothing lost or gained.

I'm not unhappy with KEH in the least, I bought the lens knowing the risk I was taking. The reason for posting this is so others can get a sense of their new "as is" category. I'll be happily sticking with their "bargain" stock in the future.
11-27-2014, 09:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
that's about what i'd expect from the rating. I bought something in the bargain category from them before and it was easy for me to understand why I saved so much money, haha.
Hope it cleans up nicely for you.