Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2014, 10:46 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dog broke the lens I just bought, can I.......

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So I bought a 70-210mm Promaster branded MC lens. I was very excited, and I received it Monday afternoon in literally pristine condition, no dust, no fungus, super smooth sliding and focus, virtually no wear marks on the mount. I was happy. I had no time to try it so I intended to do so tomorrow since I am off work... was gonna have three days of experimenting with this thing.

And then my dog crapped on my bed right in front of me, and ran in a panic.... flinging off the bed my recently bought K-50 (as in less than a month old) with this new lens mounted on it. Lens banged into the caster leg of my desk chair. Camera is fine, no external damage and when i put the kit lens back on, everything works. Shots come out normal. But the Promaster lens... it banged so hard it put a tiny dent in the barrel Shutter is busted.

SO.... I saw an identical lens on Ebay, same price. Ordered it but after the fact I found out that it was for a Minolta (slipped into my K-mount search, oops). What I want to know is:

Can I switch the mounts? Four screws removes the K-mount on this one, and it looks like there is another offset hole for another mount. Other than the mount, these two lenses are identical. Is this something that can sometimes be done? Swap mounts? I'm still new to all this.

Thanks in advance for information that might be provided.

11-27-2014, 10:59 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd be more concerned about dog on the bed

Last edited by Parallax; 11-28-2014 at 08:49 AM.
11-27-2014, 11:06 PM   #3

Original Poster
Gee thanks. Washing machine resolves that. It doesn't fix my lens

These two lenses look identical except for the mounts, so I'm hoping you can just spin out some screws, swap mounts, screws in, and snap photos.
11-27-2014, 11:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have no idea whether you can swap the mount, but considering the price of those promaster zooms, I'd
say Go For It! Especially if it's an older, all mechanical lens like this:
Auto Promaster Spectrum 7 MC 58 mm 1 3 8 F 70 210 mm Lens | eBay

11-27-2014, 11:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Did you get a photo of the doggy do ?

Try swapping, it should work I think.
11-27-2014, 11:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Best insurance claim excuse ever.

At least it wasn't 'dog ate my lens'.
11-27-2014, 11:44 PM   #7

Original Poster
The offending animal:

"I'm sorry..."

Dog is only about a third longer than the lens.

11-28-2014, 12:53 AM   #8

Your doggie was angry because you were paying more attention to your new toys than to him.
11-28-2014, 01:00 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Suleeto Quote
These two lenses look identical except for the mounts, so I'm hoping you can just spin out some screws, swap mounts, screws in, and snap photos.
There is usually a lot more to change than just the mount. For instance the aperture rings turn in opposite directions from min to max f-stop between Minolta and Pentax. Something I find hard to remember after using Minolta lenses for nearly 4o years before switching to Pentax. You say the shutter is broken on the K-mount lens. I take it you mean the diaphragm. So it won't do you any good as you would have to swap out the whole aperture assembly. As I recall (from some 30 years ago) Kiron would change mounts for you but you had to return the lens to the factory for this to be done. And I believe their service manuals have a separate section for each mount.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
At least it wasn't 'dog ate my lens'.
Maybe "My dog shate my lens" would be more appropriate?
11-28-2014, 01:05 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
There is usually a lot more to change than just the mount. For instance the aperture rings turn in opposite directions from min to max f-stop between Minolta and Pentax. Something I find hard to remember after using Minolta lenses for nearly 4o years before switching to Pentax. You say the shutter is broken on the K-mount lens. I take it you mean the diaphragm. So it won't do you any good as you would have to swap out the whole aperture assembly. As I recall (from some 30 years ago) Kiron would change mounts for you but you had to return the lens to the factory for this to be done. And I believe their service manuals have a separate section for each mount.
I hope you're wrong, but you're probably right

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I have no idea whether you can swap the mount, but considering the price of those promaster zooms, I'd
say Go For It! Especially if it's an older, all mechanical lens like this:
Auto Promaster Spectrum 7 MC 58 mm 1 3 8 F 70 210 mm Lens | eBay

That is the exact lens, although that auctioneer didn't bother to tell us what mount that lens is for. Promaster made this lens for a few different platforms. I sent her a question to find out but if she has no clue she will need to post another picture.
11-28-2014, 02:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
it's a lot more work than just switch the mount :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/56234-konica-mino...ld-lenses.html
but if you like the DIY stuff than go for it it's fun and you'll understand the lens inside out
11-28-2014, 02:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sorry about the mishap - happens to all of us from time to time. Thankfully the camera is fine! About the lens , firstly this isn't something to really stress about - lens is fairly common and cheap. With that being said I can see the way of your reasoning - if you could switch the mounts that would solve the problem. I am not particurarly familiar with this lens but can tell you that I did once exactly the same thing with one of tokina lens - the 135mm I had came in minolta mount. I had another tokina lens , a zoom if I recall, that was damaged and so I took the mount off and put it on the prime.. Voila ! Worked perfectly the first time! So I say go for it - and really - how much you can loose anyway. In case it doesn't do the trick - you still can sell the minolta one and buy something else later.

Not sure how this lens of yours is doing but I can tell you that a SMC-A 70-210 f4 in A mount can hardly be beaten by anything in this price range - I paid extra for it for it is pristine but the manual experience it gives and superb images is really worth it. Another option I am eyeing at is often overlooked Kiron made Vivitar f3.8 constant 80-200 (or is it 70-200 ? ) - anyway this lens from what I saw can also pack the punch! And lastly my friend has a Vivitar f4.5 constant Komine made zoom ( 80-200 or 80-210 - something like this ) - amazing lens. It on some zoom settings is just delivering the prime quality! Especially contrast looks so good!

So don't worry and be happy the camera is fine

PS: Nice dog with funny fennek like ears
11-28-2014, 03:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Hey, sorry about your bad luck. Maybe the damaged lens can be fixed. Try sending it to a shop that does that kind of stuff, and tell them if any optics are damaged, you can send them the Minolta copy. Mount transplanting is difficult, but maybe some parts can still be used. Either way, I doubt this is a DIY project
11-28-2014, 06:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I think on the long run you are better of buying the lens again - fortunately they are very common and cheap enough.
11-28-2014, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #15

The pup looks remorseful. Don't be too tough on him.

Though I find it odd that a dog lets alone any pet would crap where it sleeps.

Last edited by BlakeShellman; 11-30-2014 at 09:17 AM.