Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

35mm f/2.4

Ok, first a sincere and deep apology to those following my latest threads, for the ****** I've been the last few days...
That said, I ran a few more tests, this time with the 35 stopped down to 2.8. To my incredulity and disbelief, everything has changed!!! Tack sharp, close, further, low light, pop flash...
I feel somewhat embarrassed, but someone could have just told me that the 35 isn't sharp wide open... Is this true to all Pentax glass?

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/282985-focus-unaccuracy-4.html#ixzz3MNwgLSs6

Kind regards.

Paul

Last edited by Parallax; 12-19-2014 at 03:36 PM.
12-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Flugelbinder Quote
.................someone could have just told me that the 35 isn't sharp wide open... Is this true to all Pentax glass?
Kind regards.

Paul
Yes, this is true of all Pentax glass, and all Nikon glass, and all Canon, and Sigma, and Tamron, and.................. No lens, of any type, focal length, or brand is going to be as sharp wide open as it is stopped down a bit.

Last edited by Parallax; 12-19-2014 at 03:51 PM.
12-19-2014, 03:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
someone could have just told me that the 35 isn't sharp wide open.
Le sigh.
12-19-2014, 03:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yes, this is true of all Pentax glass, and all Nikon glass, and Canon, and Sigma, and Tamron, and.................. No lens, of any type, focal length, or brand is going to be as sharp wide open as it is stopped down a bit.
Except for the Fuji, and therein lies the root of my 'issues' mentioned in earlier threads... They spoiled me with their 1.4 lenses...

Again, for what it's worth, I apologize sincerely.

12-19-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

And to dovetail on what Jim said, the degree of lack of sharpness at wide open can vary greatly, even among identical lenses. Glad you got it sorted out. I recommend you spend time reading our lens reviews before purchasing any more glass for in depth user reports on their respective pros and cons, plus any lens tests that may be applicable.
12-19-2014, 03:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Except for the Fuji, and therein lies the root of my 'issues' mentioned in earlier threads... They spoiled me with their 1.4 lenses.
This is incorrect. I too am a fan of Fujifilm, but not even they are immune to physics. It's just the nature of optics that lenses with diaphragms get sharper as their stopped down.
12-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Except for the Fuji, and therein lies the root of my 'issues' mentioned in earlier threads...
Yes, even Fuji.

Fujinon XF 23mm f/1.4 R (Fujifilm) - Review / Test Report - Analysis

Fujinon XF 35mm f/1.4 R (Fujifilm) - Review / Test Report - Analysis

Both lenses are sharper when stopped down a bit than they are wide open.

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/overview

12-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know anything about the history of the issue the OP is alluding to, but I've found center sharpness on all my AF Pentax primes very good wide-open. DA 21 Ltd., DA 35/2.4, DA 70 Ltd. My DA 21 & & 70 sometimes struggle to attain infinity focus, the DA 35/2.4 has been most reliable for me.

I've found on some (older) lenses, what I initially think of as "not sharp" wide open is actually a situation where the detail resolved is pretty good, but the contrast is low and that combined with shallow DOF create the impression of "non-sharpness".

I don't know of any fast lenses (f/2.8 or smaller) that are near peak sharpness wide-open, other than the legendary Voigtlander 125/2.5 APO Lanthar. I'm sure someone will comes along and prove me wrong
12-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I feel somewhat embarrassed, but someone could have just told me that the 35 isn't sharp wide open... Is this true to all Pentax glass?
Here is a test from Photozone with the K5 if you havn't seen it (Ignore the "f/2.5 typo")
Attached Images

12-19-2014, 04:12 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Except for the Fuji, and therein lies the root of my 'issues' mentioned in earlier threads... They spoiled me with their 1.4 lenses...

It might be a combination of the Fuji's X-Trans sensor and super lenses, producing a resolution that a 16MP Pentax can't quite match.
12-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Except for the Fuji,
Oh, come on!

Show me the measurements of any Fuji lens that's not sharper when stopped down!

Outrageous you're still peddling this line.
12-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Simply not true. Physics are ...well...physics, regardless of brand. Fuji's claims do not qualify as evidence on this either, sort of like asking the used car salesman if there is anything wrong with the car he is selling. I can't find any objective tests of Fuji lenses that say they are just as sharp wide open.
12-19-2014, 04:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not saying they're not sharper stopped down, obviously they are, but they are already sharp wide open, as is the DA, when it focuses (that was my issue) unlike the Fuji that, despite being slower to attain focus, it always does...
12-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not saying they're not sharper stopped down, ........
Um, actually you said exactly that. Your reply to my post that stated all lenses are sharper stopped down than they are wide open was "except the Fuji."
12-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You are right. It wasn't the intention of my words. English is not my first language after all... Or second, for what it's worth...
What I meant was that they are already super sharp wide open.

---------- Post added 12-19-14 at 05:48 PM ----------

Btw, have shot another 20, or 30 quick snaps (testing again) and not one have missed focus!!!