Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
Forum Member

MF Lenses that are easy to focus?

I'm looking for a manual focus lens that focuses easily. You know, just pops into focus. That is, goes from clearly not focused to clearly focused in a one millimeter twist of the focus ring.

I have a Helios 44M-4 that has this quality. It is a joy to use because most of my photos end up in focus. My Mir-1V is almost the exact opposite. It has degrees of focus. Each millimeter twist gives you a little more focus. And before you know it, you're on the other side of the focus peak. Not great if you are photographing people.

I would love to hear from anyone who has a mf lens that has this focus pop characteristic. Thanks in advance.

12-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kharry2012 Quote
My Mir-1V is almost the exact opposite. It has degrees of focus. Each millimeter twist gives you a little more focus. And before you know it, you're on the other side of the focus peak.
A good trick to learn with manual focus
is to mimic the way autofocus works,
moving back and forth around the optimum point,
making shorter and shorter sweeps each time
until you're good to go.

Usually, faster MF lenses are easier to focus.
I have an 85/1.4 and a 90/3.5.
The 85 is much easier to focus.
12-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax 67 105mm f2.4 + adapter. They don't come much easier to focus than that! (Although admittedly it's massive, heavy, and the sharpness is a touch lacking on apsc)
12-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

I fell in love with MF lenses, coming from a superzoom background (Pana FZ20 camera and Pentax DA18-250mm lens). MF lenses provide excellent precision and ease to focus thanks to some nice, accurate focus ring with which it is a true pleasure to shoot MF.
Generally both the Voigtlander lenses and Carl Zeiss lenses can be recommended. I have the VL58mm and VL135mm, as well as the CZ85mm and CZ2mm. I can recommend very strongly these 4 lenses. In addition of outstanding IQ, the focus ring is sharp and dead accurae.

I fully enjoy working with these. I shared my own experience of the VL58mm (the most affordable of these 4 lenses) at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/209251-fa31...mm-f1-4-a.html.

Hope that the comment may help.

I can recommend a few

A relevant discussion is:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/146443-m...we-afraid.html

12-26-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tamron SP Adaptall-2 90mm f/2.8 (72B).

I was amazed when I focused this lens for the first time.

- Craig
12-26-2014, 06:08 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps this is just me, but I have found a couple of aspects to manual focusing...
  • Large focus throw - this is the amount of turns on the focusing ring. I have a Zeiss lens (Zeiss 25mm/f2.8 ZK) that has about 355 degrees of focus throw. That gives you a lot of focus play in terms of the adjustment. Small focus throws are wonderful for AF (as it lets them focus very fast), but leave little room for good MF I have found.
  • Focal length - for me the wide angle lenses are better than the telephoto lenses. Wide angle is a lot more forgiving, although I have a couple of 85mm lenses that are wonderful too (an Auto Tak 85/f1.8 and a Contax Zeiss 85/f2.8 Sonnar). I have a 300mm that I find I have problems focusing. Its smooth and everything, but to get it perfect for me is difficult - even on a tripod.

12-26-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I find the wide angle lens I have (K 24 f2.8) hard to focus - everything looks in focus when the focus point is slightly off. I do much better with longer lenses: the Vivitar Series One 105 Macro is easy for me to focus as is the A*300 lens. It helps if I'm taking detail type shots - the more the subject fills the viewfinder, the easier I find it. I practiced manual focusing because I did a lot of macro when I first started (still do for that matter). But my eyes aren't as good as they were, so I do find it harder now. Also, I have more AF lenses and I've gotten out of practice.

12-26-2014, 10:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I find the wide angle lens I have (K 24 f2.8) hard to focus - everything looks in focus when the focus point is slightly off.
I have that lens. It has possibly the shortest focus throw out of any lens I've tried. The barrel barely makes a 1/4 turn going from one end of the focus scale to the other. It's a little hard to focus because of it, but to me it's quite sharp (when focus is achieved).

On the other hand, in response to the OP, I have a Takumar 55 1.8 that is such a joy to focus. I just measured it now, and it makes about a 3/4 turn to go from one end of the focus scale to the other, and it's smooth as butter. Better still, the infinity marker (located right at the end of the scale) ACTUALLY FOCUSES THE LENS TO INFINITY. Seriously, this is such a huge thing because not a lot of lenses do that these days (most lenses are a bit off on the infinity marker). It's just such a sublime pleasure to be able to focus to infinity quickly and with confidence.
12-27-2014, 08:38 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
I have that lens. It has possibly the shortest focus throw out of any lens I've tried. The barrel barely makes a 1/4 turn going from one end of the focus scale to the other. It's a little hard to focus because of it, but to me it's quite sharp (when focus is achieved).
Thanks for the comment - I never thought of the throw as being a part of the issue but I'm sure that's a big part of it. And you are right, it is otherwise a wonderful lens. Mine is in almost new condition since I hated it when I bought it new (1980?). I used it a couple of times then stuck it in a cupboard and ignored it for 25 years. I've used it much more often since getting my current dSLR cameras. It's small and relatively light.
12-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, a long throw is a joy to use.

My best MF lens in terms of focusing is the K50/1.2
12-27-2014, 09:21 PM   #11
Pentaxian

In general, longer focal lengths and wider apertures are easier to manually focus because of narrower depth of field. Manual focus lenses also tend to be easier than autofocus-capable lenses due to the focus throw.

My easiest MF lens is Sears 135mm F/2.8 With Macro Zone Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database. I rarely use the macro setting because it gives weird halo effects, but the lens is very sharp at more normal distances. Things just pop into focus with it.
12-27-2014, 09:36 PM   #12
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I find the wide angle lens I have (K 24 f2.8) hard to focus
Yup - I've all but given up on my A28/2.8 for anything requiring sharp focus and large aperture - it just doesn't work well for many of my indoor shots of school events and I've come to rely on my AF lenses.

I agree with EVT
QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
On the other hand, in response to the OP, I have a Takumar 55 1.8
about lenses like these. I have two copies of the 55/2 SMC Tak - one is pristine and the other bashed up a bit. Both take good photos, but the bashed up one has this silky smooth focus turning. The other lens I sometimes have success with is the A35-105/3.5 because I can use both the focus ring and the zoom ring to nail the focus and composition - the only problem with that lens is its weight.. As others have said, the focus throw is the key - the longer the better, but the harder it is to get from one end to the other. I have a Vivitar 90/2.8 macro lens - the focus throw is something like 900 degrees (i.e. 2 1/2 full turns) to get from one end to the other. Unfortunately the focus ring is quite stiff, otherwise I'd probably use the lens a lot more.
01-03-2015, 10:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

My A35-105 and my A28 2.8 are the easiest for me to focus with. The Tak 55 1.8 would be second to the A28 2.8 if I used it more.
01-06-2015, 04:18 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Just wanted to post a follow-up. Per the advice I received here, I tracked down a Zeiss. I'm trying to limit photography purchases right now, so I opted for the Pancolar 50 f/1.8 Zebra, which I was able to find on ebay for a decent price. It arrived today from Ukraine (only took 10 days??!!). And I am happy to report that it has focus pop just like my Helios 44M-4. Also, I am getting some lovely images from it already. My Helios is definitely built better, but I can already tell that the Zeiss's shorter focal length (by 8mms) will prove more versatile.

I also wanted to mention that I dug into my collection and did some mf experimentation. I figured out that the FA 43 has focus pop (but I use it in af 98% of the time) and so does the Tamron-f 28 f/2.8 BBAR M42.

Thanks everyone for the priceless advice. Pentax Forums is amazing.
01-06-2015, 07:45 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kharry2012 Quote
I'm looking for a manual focus lens that focuses easily. You know, just pops into focus. That is, goes from clearly not focused to clearly focused in a one millimeter twist of the focus ring.

I have a Helios 44M-4 that has this quality. It is a joy to use because most of my photos end up in focus. My Mir-1V is almost the exact opposite. It has degrees of focus. Each millimeter twist gives you a little more focus. And before you know it, you're on the other side of the focus peak. Not great if you are photographing people.

I would love to hear from anyone who has a mf lens that has this focus pop characteristic. Thanks in advance.
Lenses that just pop with 1mm twist of the focus ring are typically lenses that focus too quickly to be accurate.

You trade speed for accuracy on manual focus. You will note shorter lenses seem to focus faster because they have higher depth of field.

Note accurate focus on a DSLR is difficult for faster lenses than F5.6 because that is what the focusing screen is optimized for .

For good and easy manual focus get a split Image focusing screen.