Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA* 60-250 focus accuracy

I just purchased a DA* 60-250 lens. So far it seems like a really nice lens with great resolution and color performance. There is one issue that I have though and I was hoping someone could shed some light on it. The first thing I normally do with a lens is check focus accuracy and make any necessary adjustments using my cameras' fine focus adjustment. The way I do this is by using a focus chart that is positioned at a 45 degree angle to the focal plane of the camera. My first check showed that focus accuracy looked really good with no adjustments required. I then repeated the test several times and noticed that when the lens is zoomed to 250mm it will front focus by about 60-70mm, as measured on my chart, about 30 percent of the time. My first thought was that it may be the camera (K3) so I put on my 55-300 lens and performed the same test. It focused to the same point every time. So that leaves the lens as the cause. Since I have never had a lens with SDM focusing I was wondering if this is typical for this lens or if the lens is defective and I need to return it for a replacement.

Thanks in advance for any insight into this issue.

12-27-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jim.haase Quote
I just purchased a DA* 60-250 lens. So far it seems like a really nice lens with great resolution and color performance. There is one issue that I have though and I was hoping someone could shed some light on it. The first thing I normally do with a lens is check focus accuracy and make any necessary adjustments using my cameras' fine focus adjustment. The way I do this is by using a focus chart that is positioned at a 45 degree angle to the focal plane of the camera. My first check showed that focus accuracy looked really good with no adjustments required. I then repeated the test several times and noticed that when the lens is zoomed to 250mm it will front focus by about 60-70mm, as measured on my chart, about 30 percent of the time. My first thought was that it may be the camera (K3) so I put on my 55-300 lens and performed the same test. It focused to the same point every time. So that leaves the lens as the cause. Since I have never had a lens with SDM focusing I was wondering if this is typical for this lens or if the lens is defective and I need to return it for a replacement.

Thanks in advance for any insight into this issue.
It should be consistent. I had a DA*300 that was inconsistent and it ended up having some mechanical issues. Not SDM, but some other bits. Eventually it stopped focusing even though it made all the right noises. If it is new I'd talk to whoever you bought it from and see if you can get an exchange.
12-28-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
It should be consistent. I had a DA*300 that was inconsistent and it ended up having some mechanical issues. Not SDM, but some other bits. Eventually it stopped focusing even though it made all the right noises. If it is new I'd talk to whoever you bought it from and see if you can get an exchange.
Thanks for the input. I decided to return it get a replacement. Hope the new one works better.