Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2015, 03:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bent Filter on Super-Tak 55

Okay, so I tried the rubber ring trick to remove a filter with a dent in the ring. No go. The lens is a 55mm Super-Tak attached to a purchased Asahi-Pentax S-1a. When I try to move the deformed 49mm UV filter, the focusing barrel of the lens starts to back out of the lens body, so my fingers cannot stop the barrel and the filter will not budge. In my humble opinion, no plastic filter wrench will work on a deformed filter ring.

So my question is whether the Super-Tak is worth the trouble? Second question is what about the loose focusing barrel, probably created by the original owner. Third question is can I de-glass the UV filter without damaging the lens objective?

I got this package on an eBay auction for $27 simply for display/wall hanging. So I did not have high expectations. Surprise, the body is immaculate, shutter works, film advance lever works. The S-1a is unmarked, was in a leather case, and shutter curtains are smooth in operation. So now I suddenly want to buy a roll of film.

BTW, there is a lot of dust visible through the viewfinder. About half is in the Tak, based on viewfinder after removing the lens. this may have resulted from previous owner's attempts to remove the deformed UV filter.
Any easy fixes or should I test the camera with film and if it works, get another M42 Super-Tak?
This camera is exactly like my old Yashica from the early '80s, so it feels nice in my hands.

What is the best method for removing dust from the mirror box and prism. That is an added question!

Last edited by waterfall; 01-28-2015 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Forgot a question
01-28-2015, 04:54 PM   #2
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not from my (direct) experience, but the filter ring is generally aluminum or brass. And you should be able to do following. Not sure whether the steps are better 1-2-3, or 2-1-3.
1. cut through the filter with a fine saw (just go part way),
2. remove the filter glass, or break the filter glass--depending on the filter design
3. and finish with a sidecutter, and then bend the filter ring inwards.
Breaking the glass should be possible with a punch or hammer so long as the travel distance is limited. Maybe a block of wood with a nail projecting slightly should do it as the filter ring will stop the wood--before the nail goes in too far. Then pull the glass shards outwards.
01-28-2015, 05:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The ring is brass. I won't use a saw in this fine condition. Anyone used a spanner wrench with holes drilled through the filter ring.

Or, I could just leave it and display the camera as I intended. But we all know, that will not happen. Need to remove this filter and get a short roll of film!
01-28-2015, 05:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some filters have a retaining ring holding in the glass. Can't you get a better grip on the lens if you extend it with 'close focus'? You can try drilling holes 180* apart and putting a rod through to enable a twisting grip on the filter.

01-28-2015, 06:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So what is going on with the outer lens barrel unscrewing during my attempts?

---------- Post added 01-28-15 at 07:30 PM ----------

The dust in the viewfinder appears with the outer barrel and bent filter removed. In this case, I will not attempt a destructive filter removal. I still have to remove dust from the mirror (visible with lens removed) and mirror box area. I'll post film images if I get that far.
Does the moving outer barrel of this lens have an optical element immediately behind the filter ring? I removed the barrel, with the name ring, and see no screws. The name ring came off like a screw on hood. Resembles a modern hood that extends with close focus. I don't know Taks, so all of this is perplexing.

BTW, the lens is Asahi Super Takumar, 1:2/ 55, serial 1544103, in case that helps

---------- Post added 01-28-15 at 07:33 PM ----------

I think the name ring is on a screw off hood. Is this possible with this lens?

---------- Post added 01-28-15 at 07:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Heat the filter with a hair dryer, then grab it with a rubber kitchen glove. To tighten the barrel, you will need to get the name ring off, then tighten the 3 screws underneath.
I don't have no stinking hair dryers. Or badges. 😁 (just funning here).

---------- Post added 01-28-15 at 07:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Some filters have a retaining ring holding in the glass. Can't you get a better grip on the lens if you extend it with 'close focus'? You can try drilling holes 180* apart and putting a rod through to enable a twisting grip on the filter.
My usual tool in this case would be a 12" Channellock pliers and a bench vise. I am not a lens disassembler. My eyes cannot find the little screws if I drop them. Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate the help.
01-28-2015, 06:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
So what is going on with the outer lens barrel unscrewing during my attempts?

---------- Post added 01-28-15 at 07:30 PM ----------

The dust in the viewfinder appears with the outer barrel and bent filter removed. In this case, I will not attempt a destructive filter removal. I still have to remove dust from the mirror (visible with lens removed) and mirror box area. I'll post film images if I get that far.
Does the moving outer barrel of this lens have an optical element immediately behind the filter ring? I removed the barrel, with the name ring, and see no screws. The name ring came off like a screw on hood. Resembles a modern hood that extends with close focus. I don't know Taks, so all of this is perplexing.

BTW, the lens is Asahi Super Takumar, 1:2/ 55, serial 1544103, in case that helps

---------- Post added 01-28-15 at 07:33 PM ----------

I think the name ring is on a screw off hood. Is this possible with this lens?

---------- Post added 01-28-15 at 07:36 PM ----------

I don't have no stinking hair dryers. Or badges. 😁 (just funning here).

---------- Post added 01-28-15 at 07:40 PM ----------

My usual tool in this case would be a 12" Channellock pliers and a bench vise. I am not a lens disassembler. My eyes cannot find the little screws if I drop them. Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate the help.
There definitely are no screws or screw holes hiding inside the lens barrel that is attached to the deformed filter. When removed, this barrel exposes the lens glass, with no visible identifying info. The lens ID is on the empty barrel with the dented 49mm filter. Weird.

---------- Post added 01-28-15 at 07:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Here's a disassembly guide for the Super-Multi-Coated version, but disassembly should be similar:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/114-maintenance-repair-articles/217082-ta...egreasing.html

The name ring screws into the front barrel (in this guide, labeled "filter ring"). Three screws anchor this down to the moving inner helical. The other three up front hold in the lens and aperture diaphragm assembly, which moves back and forth on these primes. If you remove those scrws, this whole assemby will pop up. Three more screws attach the focus ring to the brass inner focus ring. These are a bit deeper down in the lens.
Thank you. I will read the info you provided. But the name ring on this lens has no screw holes into the lens body. Maybe it will become clear when I digest this info.

Thanks for your help. I will post photos of this entire process tomorrow.