Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2015, 04:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Re: DA* 16-50 SDM Updated Reliability

Hi:

I have been considering a zoom for a trip to Europe this summer (and have received incredible advice from forum members) and though it would be a stretch for me to actually purchase given my own history with a formerly owned DA* 16-50, I was wondering how people have been faring lately with recently purchased versions or recently repaired copies of this lens.

My own 16-50 (originally purchased in late 2009) had the SDM fail twice, the second time being not terribly long after the first repair. I sold it after approx 1.5 years and I did not use it "all of the time," but did regularly use it. I know there has been discussion about long rest periods being detrimental to the SDM motor--which I never really quite understood.

I have looked at reviews on B&H and Amazon and there appear to be recent failures--i.e., after the purported redesign of the SDM motor.

Is there a sense whether the issue remains? I imagine there still could be "old new stock" around, but I worry about recent repairs not working.

Also, I have read about the zoom "sticking or locking." Is this a more random "sometimes things happen" issue or more akin to the systemic SDM problem?

Lastly, for those who have reverted to the screw drive--how easy is it for a reasonably DIY person, but not necessarily a natural DIY person? And, is there any downside to the screw drive (other than some noise)? Like reliability?

Any thoughts are very much appreciated.

Last edited by candgpics; 01-30-2015 at 04:43 AM.
01-30-2015, 04:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best of luck. Why not just use one, if you must, as a screw drive lens?

Oh, and cue the SDM apologists.........
01-30-2015, 04:42 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Does anyone know?

The biggest thing that gives peace of mind right now is the knowledge that it is really easy to convert it to screwdrive if you need to. That said, I had the SDM replaced in my 16-50 about three or four months after I purchased it (under warranty) and it has been fine since. That was about six and a half years ago.
01-30-2015, 05:04 AM   #4
Forum Member

Save yourself a whole load of money and buy the Tamron 17-50, I 've had the DA*16-50, the Tamron is better, even Pentax Forums came to that conclusion, it just lacks AW.

01-30-2015, 05:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The one I got a couple of months ago has a tiny ricoh imaging on the bottom of the box, so it should be new stock hopefully. If you box says Hoya on the other hand....
01-30-2015, 06:31 AM   #6
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
The one I got a couple of months ago has a tiny ricoh imaging on the bottom of the box, so it should be new stock hopefully. If you box says Hoya on the other hand....
I bought my 16-50mm in late 2008 and I've had 2 failures as well, for the last one gears were replaced and I the cost was reduced...! It has been working fine since, but for how long? My second SDM, the 50-135mm failed too a month ago. I am told that there is a possibility that it failed because of a shock (there is some noise inside when you shake it) of some sort which I don't remember ever occurring...??? Its been a while at Pentax and still no news on what happened to it. So that's too many for comfort.
Take your pick, maybe I'll check this screw drive...?
01-30-2015, 06:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave's clichés Quote
Save yourself a whole load of money and buy the Tamron 17-50, I 've had the DA*16-50, the Tamron is better, even Pentax Forums came to that conclusion, it just lacks AW.

I would second that.

01-30-2015, 07:38 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave's clichés Quote
To me, the biggest thing is that color and contrast are better with the 16-50 than with other lenses out there. I know I've been a 16-50 apologist on the forums, but I really do think the results are excellent from it.

01-30-2015, 08:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
To me, the biggest thing is that color and contrast are better with the 16-50 than with other lenses out there. I know I've been a 16-50 apologist on the forums, but I really do think the results are excellent from it.

Not a lot of people can coax their 16-50 to produce beautiful images consistently like yours do. I know it's the eye behind the lens, but with a lot more mediocre image samples around, coupled with a number of SDM scares, the 16-50 may be a hard sell.

In my opinion, Ricoh should be better off discontinuing this lens and issuing a new one, with a new name, sans the stigma.

Last edited by drypenn; 01-30-2015 at 08:50 AM.
01-30-2015, 08:36 AM   #10

Hi!

I purchased mine copy in april of 2013 and about four months after that, the zoom ring broked. Stiff in beggining, then it started to get stuck and ended locking completely. I live in Brazil and we don't have official service nor get parts for the recent models, either lens or camera.

So I done a repair myself, not without some issues, but managed to get mine 16-50 to work again.

At that time, I searched foruns for issues like mine, but didn't find any. I guess I was a lucky one :P

The piece that broke is a metal lever that conects the optical system to the zoom ring and move all those metal tubes in a very weird way. It is screwed in the ring with 2 tiny phillips screws in a very small square part of the zoom ring. A pretty fragile design in my humble opinion.

For AF, after a year and half, the SDM did finally fail. It started to refuse to lock focus and as soon as I made sure it was the focus system (I have a K-5II and a K10D), i done the hack to convert it to screwdrive AF. Never look back.

So, in my opinion, if you can wait a little for CP+ announcements, wait if they will come with something. If don't, buy the Sigma or Tamron.

But there`s also the 16-85. According to some users that already purchased one, apears to be a fairly good lens. It is slow, but it is 16mm...

Last edited by sungibr; 01-30-2015 at 09:39 AM.
01-30-2015, 09:12 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
Not a lot of people can coax their 16-50 to produce beautiful images consistently like yours do. I know it's the eye behind the lens, but with a lot more mediocre image samples around, coupled with a number of SDM scares, the 16-50 may be a hard sell.

In my opinion, Ricoh should be better off discontinuing this lens and issuing a new one, with a new name, sans the stigma.
Maybe. The interesting thing to me is that the DA 15 (which is a slower lens) gets universal accolades from users, while the 16-50 doesn't. But my experience is that, except when you are shooting right into the unfiltered sun, you get every bit as good results with the 16-50 as with the DA 15 -- better actually at f4 and f5.6
01-30-2015, 09:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I have similar experience as Rondec (I believe he can certainly squeeze more mileage from that lens than anybody else can). The color rendition and contrast of that lens is up there among the best; and I use the DA* lenses (along with 50-135) regularly for event photos. Both my DA* lenses are in the early release batches with the original SDM motors replaced. I have not had any problems since then.
01-30-2015, 09:47 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Maybe. The interesting thing to me is that the DA 15 (which is a slower lens) gets universal accolades from users, while the 16-50 doesn't. But my experience is that, except when you are shooting right into the unfiltered sun, you get every bit as good results with the 16-50 as with the DA 15 -- better actually at f4 and f5.6
I would agree with that. I'm got more good images from the 16-50 than any other lens. I suspect a lot of the reviews are tainted by the SDM reputation.

Great shot of Pittsburgh! I have shot from that exact spot, awesome view.

To the OP, the 16-50 is a superb lens that might have the AF fail. Sadly that is the truth. I love mine, and if/when the AF fails I'll either get it repaired (again) or switch it to screw drive. The optics are too good to pass on. Hopefully the new ones have a better motor. Based on the poll results and general reduction in "My SDM Failed" posts I believe that is true. However, even if so it does not mean 100% reliability. So whether current failures are old stock or new stock that is failing at a lower rate, no one knows. You pay your money and take your chances.
01-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Optically, as I have both the DA15 and DA*16-50, I agree about the beauty of the 16-50.

It's so good, that once I did the conversion to screw drive after the SDM failure, I have *forgotten* that ever happened!

Imagine liking a lens so much, that you don't care that one of it's major components failed.

That's got to say something.
01-30-2015, 12:33 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I bought a new 16-50 December 2013. The SDM had to be replaced (under warranty) September 2014. I like images from the lens, it's my most frequently used lens, and IMO it's the best combination of IQ+WR+zoom in the Pentax lineup.

Pentax USA answers to questions about SDM reliability have been evasive. I can understand why their lawyers might not want to give decisive answers, but when I ask "are there SDM issues?" and get "Japan HQ has not told us" in response, it doesn't inspire confidence.

Last edited by DeadJohn; 01-30-2015 at 12:56 PM. Reason: their/there