Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2015, 10:00 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 10-20 4-5.6 versions

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Sigma 10 20mm F4 5 6 EX DC TO Suit Pentax Digital SLR 85126201609 | eBay
this is the current 10-20 4-56 for Pentax lens ( HSM not available for Sony and Pentax , why? ), mine years old looks a bit different,

hasn't got the window , AF/M switch and the hood looks different,

cosmetic only changes or optical as well??

the one pictured here:
Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC J Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
looks like mine and as far as I know it is not the current Pentax mount version??

Attached Images

01-30-2015, 11:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bought mine 2nd hand in 2011.
It certainly doesn't have a J anywhere either on the lens or on the box.
Mine doesn't have a window for the distance scale which is printed on the zoom ring.
The differences I see between mine and the one on ebay is that the printing on the lens is different:
- the EX/Sigma is inverted (EX on left side of Sigma, compared to being on the right side on the ebay picture)
- printing on either side of the EX/Sigma logo is different and at different distances from the logo.
- mine has the lens description (10-20mm/1:4-5.6DC) to the left of the logo about 20mm away and filter size and Made in Japan/serial number 35mm to the right.

But dcxpert's price seems GOOD - I paid a bit more 2nd hand!!
01-31-2015, 06:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

From what I can tell outside of the distance scales, the main difference is the lack of HSM being mentioned on the J model.
01-31-2015, 02:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
the main difference is the lack of HSM being mentioned on the J model.
Mine is not HSM, but as I say, it's not a J either.

01-31-2015, 02:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the same version as rod_grant but I can't add anything to the discussion about whether the lenses are optically different. But I can say that dcxpert are great vendors. Prices and delivery are both very good. And as the OP lives in Perth as well, they will know how hard it can be to find that combination in this city!!!!
01-31-2015, 06:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Carl, don't knock Perth! I just bought a Sigma 150-500 from Leederville Camera House (Couldn't get one at the price on this side of the Nullabor)
03-18-2015, 12:26 PM   #7

I *just* picked up this lens from a store today. They didn't have it in stock at the store ("we don't get a lot of Pentax shooters here"), and they ordered it from Gentec (aka Sigma Canada) yesterday. I was quite surprised when I opened up the box when I got it, as it did not look like the pictures I saw online. Then I stumbled across this thread, and realized there's different variations of this lens. FWIW, mine doesn't have the window and doesn't have the AF/M switch either. Another thing I noticed is that the plastic on the lens is not the peach-fuzz finish of the other Sigma lens I got - it's more like smooth plastic. The print on it says it's made in Japan, and serial number is in the 14880xxx range.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
HM NOTE  Photo 
03-18-2015, 12:33 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder why the HSM engine isn't available on the Pentax mount? I bought one of these last year and was surprised to find this out. I don't believe that the throw is too long, but still.....
03-18-2015, 12:48 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I wonder why the HSM engine isn't available on the Pentax mount? I bought one of these last year and was surprised to find this out. I don't believe that the throw is too long, but still.....
Just saw on another thread that this particular lens never did come with HSM for Pentax (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/199144-sigm...4-5-6-hsm.html) Yes, it is strange that it's not available on the Pentax mount. I guess I'll just accept that as the gospel truth until someone comes around and shows me a pic of it with HSM
03-18-2015, 03:33 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Drewski, mine is the same as yours in respect to where the lettering is. Interestingly, my serial number is in the 2146xxx range.
Whatever, be happy: it is a good lens.
Have a look at the 10-20 club (and post some pics.) https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/84539-sigma-10-20mm-club.html
03-19-2015, 07:13 AM   #11

Rod, thanks for the confirmation - I am looking forward to using it. All in, I paid CAD 540 (roughly AUD550 at current conversion rates), having waited for two years now for the prices to come down. And yes, it was the pictures in the 10-20 club that attracted me to the lens in the first place. Will put some up once I get some worthy to be included in there!
03-19-2015, 09:03 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Apart from probably being quieter, what the advantages of the HSM version?

Thanks in advance.

John