Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2015, 04:49 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Extreme ultrawide primes?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So DA15 is my widest lens at the moment.

Is there an even wider reasonable alternative (current or legacy)? Extreme ultrawide?

1. normal
2. fish-eye (like Sigma 4.5mm)

Anything you could rec?

01-31-2015, 04:55 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Samsung 14mm ... Sigma 8-16mm ...
01-31-2015, 05:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The da10-17 FE is a lot of fun and can be 'de-fished' to quite an extent in software.

I also have a Russsian Zenitar 8mm that is really fishy and fun

Last edited by wizofoz; 01-31-2015 at 05:17 AM.
01-31-2015, 05:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm primary thinking about primes now.

Just came accross Samyang 10mm F2.8 - any good? How does it differ to Sigma 8-16?

01-31-2015, 05:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You have the following new options: Pentax DA 14mm f2.8
Samyang 16mm f2.0, Samyang 14mm f2.8, Samyang 10mm, Samyang 8mm FE (many Samyang lenses are also sold under many other names: Walimex, ProOptic, Falcon, Rokinon, Bower, Vivitar)
Zenitar 16mm f2.8 FE, Peleng 8mm FE (these two are available in m42 and K-mount, I think. Can still be found as new from Eastern Europe)

Zooms:
Pentax 12-24mm, Pentax 10-17mm FE
Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Tamron 10-24mm

What I would look at is, how does the DA 15mm not fit your needs? And then find a lens that does that well. Do you need faster aperture? Do you need AF? Maybe a fisheye is your best bet - if you shoot raw you can use software to de-fish it and still get an "ultra wide" look.
My Samyang 14mm is quite wide enough for me. In fact, I often think of switching it for 16mm

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Just came accross Samyang 10mm F2.8 - any good? How does it differ to Sigma 8-16?
In many ways. Samyang is prime, Sigma is zoom. Sigma is very highly praised, but it has its weaknesses and it is a fairly big lens. Check the Lens review section. The Samyang, according to reviews, appears to be quite great, but manual focus
01-31-2015, 05:58 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
The 10 mm Samyang is very good unless you need autofocus, but quality control may be an issue; you'll want to buy from someone with a good return policy. The PF review is nice.
QuoteQuote:
Our only major concern is with respect to manufacturing defects. We had to order three copies of this lens to get one without flaws: the first suffered from de-centering, which resulted in one edge of the image being excessively blurry; the second had a loose hood and occasionally-stiff focusing ring. While such a small sample size isn't necessarily indicative of a widespread quality control issue, we felt obliged to mention it.
01-31-2015, 06:07 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like the Sigma 12-24, cracker of a lens, I have had the 10-20, ok, but still prefer the 12-24. I have the 8-16, its good, don't get me wrong, but , too much barrel distortion for my liking. The Pentax 10-17, love it, for fisheye. I wish Pentax would bring out a Prime 10 or 12mm lens, I would buy it in a heart beat.

01-31-2015, 06:15 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I have the 8-16, its good, don't get me wrong, but , too much barrel distortion for my liking.
there are ways of working around it, so it isn't noticable. However for architecture - forget about using it at 8mm, 12~14mm focal range has less distortion than most common zoom or prime lenses at similar focal lengths.

Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 @ 8mm ( slight crop)

Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 @ 13mm

Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 @ 10mm ( cropped)

Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 @ 10mm
01-31-2015, 06:19 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Peleng 8mm FE

Crazy, I've never heard about such thing...

Now I managed to find it on ebay - Belomo Peleng 8mm 3 5 MC Fisheye 180° Manual Lens Pentax K Mount SLR DSLR | eBay
Seems like it's Belarus production. 180 deg field of view...
It's clear that it's manual focus, but what about the aperture?
01-31-2015, 06:20 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I agree. I each has it's strengths.
01-31-2015, 06:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have the Sigma 10-20 and the Pentax DA 10-17 FishEye. They are very different from each other at 10mm, like Picasso vs. Dali. Both are excellent - I wouldn't be without them.
01-31-2015, 06:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Just got the Samyang 14 f2.8, really liking it so far (only got it yesterday though, so haven't had a chance to play much). I have a friend who has the 10, he seems to like it a lot.
01-31-2015, 07:01 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some additional information would help us help you....
  • How wide are you thinking - or wider than 15 and as wide as possible?
  • Why are you thinking of a prime as opposed to a zoom? A faster aperture?
  • If you feel you need a faster aperture - how fast and why?
  • What is the driving motivation wider than 15mm?
  • Landscapes, cityscapes, architecture, astro, and/or ??????
  • What are you considering to shoot with it, that you are unable to do with the 15mm?
  • Have you considered stitching with the 15? Is motion involved - shooting moving things?
  • What type of photography do you normally shoot, or your interests?
  • The wider you go the more distortion you are going to get. Is distortion a concern?
  • Is physical size or weight a concern?
  • Is cost a constraint?
  • Is flare an issue or constraint?
  • Is time a constraint - will having to possibly go through several lenses to find a good one a problem?

01-31-2015, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, you want to buy an expensive specialized lens that's seldom used and ends up collecting dust as it rolls around in the bottom of your camera bag? Why, when any lens will do... even the kit lens? Just take a few minutes and learn to post-process a multi-image panorama using MS-ICE (free). Learning how is easy and fun, plus you can go as wide as you wish... With a little practice, the resulting image can be almost distortion free and will dazzle your friends.

Cheers... M
01-31-2015, 07:55 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I tried to reply each point (not so easy...):

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Some additional information would help us help you....
  • How wide are you thinking - or wider than 15 and as wide as possible? Exactly. I have DA15 for "normal" wide, now I'm after something more extreme... as wide as possible - but not circular!
  • Why are you thinking of a prime as opposed to a zoom? A faster aperture? Optical quality. IQ.
  • If you feel you need a faster aperture - how fast and why? This would be a nice bonus. For bad light conditions and to control DoF (objects near camera vs. background).
  • What is the driving motivation wider than 15mm? Difficult question. Would you accept "just to have even more fun" as an answer?
  • Landscapes, cityscapes, architecture, astro, and/or ?????? All what you mentioned (now and again). Not willing to buy a special ultrawide lens dedicated for each of the subjects.
  • What are you considering to shoot with it, that you are unable to do with the 15mm? just one example - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/33549-fisheye-fever-club-f...ml#post2418560
  • Have you considered stitching with the 15? Is motion involved - shooting moving things? I'm not into stitching that much. But of course that would be a possibility.
  • What type of photography do you normally shoot, or your interests? Nature, landscapes, travelling, architecture, my family.
  • The wider you go the more distortion you are going to get. Is distortion a concern? No.
  • Is physical size or weight a concern? No.
  • Is cost a constraint? let's say my budget for such lens would be up to max. USD 800 - 1000.
  • Is flare an issue or constraint? it depends. Normally this is something one should try to avoid...
  • Is time a constraint - will having to possibly go through several lenses to find a good one a problem? I don't like to sell lenses... so far. I'd rather spend some time by reading reviews and watching sample photos before I decide to buy (I mean if it's not a real bargain...)