Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2015, 04:46 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Rotating front lenses

This is an area where I am pretty ignorant. From reading routine net conversation and comment, I have picked up the attitude that lenses with rotating front elements are inferior.......Cheap. You buy them only as a last resort. Is this belief substantially true? Does the fact that a lens has a rotating front element indicate that the manufacturer was more concerned about economy than quality? Are their other problems inherent to a rotating front element beside the obvious problems associated with using a polarizing filter?

I ask because I noticed that the Pentax 18-135 has a rotating front element. It seems like a good lens, and it is not low priced.

Thanks

Last edited by tennjed; 02-27-2015 at 04:55 PM.
02-27-2015, 04:53 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only issue is the difficulty of using polarizing filters if the front element rotates.

There is no 15-135mm lens in the Pentax line-up. Which lens are you referring to?
02-27-2015, 04:55 PM   #3

Original Poster
My apology, I meant 18-135. Thanks for pointing that mistake out. I will edit
02-27-2015, 04:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you mean the DA18-135, the front element does not rotate.

02-27-2015, 05:07 PM   #5

Original Poster
Now I am really feeling like a fool. I am certain that was the lens I was looking at. Not that I doubt you. Does the front element rotate on the DA 50-200? I was looking at both, and for some reason left with the impression the front element on the 18-135 rotated.
02-27-2015, 05:16 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tennjed Quote
Does the front element rotate on the DA 50-200?
Not on my copy it doesn't. Are you sure your talking about the front element rotating or the focus ring that does rotate?
02-27-2015, 05:42 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Not on my copy it doesn't. Are you sure your talking about the front element rotating or the focus ring that does rotate?
No, I am talking about the glass element. Maybe I was inadvertently rotating the lens body. Sorry for the bother.

02-27-2015, 05:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The only issue is the difficulty of using polarizing filters if the front element rotates.
Or a petal-shaped hood. For this reason, a wide-angle zoom will be internally focusing. Telephoto zooms can use round hoods (and most people don't put polarizers on them) so internal focusing isn't as important.
02-27-2015, 05:52 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by tennjed Quote
This is an area where I am pretty ignorant. From reading routine net conversation and comment, I have picked up the attitude that lenses with rotating front elements are inferior.......Cheap. You buy them only as a last resort. Is this belief substantially true? Does the fact that a lens has a rotating front element indicate that the manufacturer was more concerned about economy than quality? Are their other problems inherent to a rotating front element beside the obvious problems associated with using a polarizing filter?

I ask because I noticed that the Pentax 18-135 has a rotating front element. It seems like a good lens, and it is not low priced.

Thanks
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any DA lens has a rotating front element. I think this style of lens has gone out of fashion, and not surprisingly so since it doesn't exactly help speed up AF performance

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-27-2015, 06:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

A rotating front element is not the actual problem; rather, it means you are probably holding a Canon.
02-27-2015, 07:38 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Surely no lens designed for a DSLR would because then circular polarizers wouldn't work (essentially) and linear polarizers don't work at all on digital, right?
02-27-2015, 07:55 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Surely no lens designed for a DSLR would because then circular polarizers wouldn't work (essentially) and linear polarizers don't work at all on digital, right?
Linear Polarizers work just fine. Most of the time. Then you get just the right angle between the polarizer and the AF module, and it all goes West.
02-27-2015, 08:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Linear Polarizers work just fine. Most of the time. Then you get just the right angle between the polarizer and the AF module, and it all goes West.
Yeah, that's it, they mess up the AF supposedly. Couldn't remember, just knew you're not supposed to use them anymore...
02-28-2015, 08:10 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I have a Quantray 70-300 with a rotating front element, so they do exist. It is not a hardship.
02-28-2015, 10:11 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The Canon and Nikon 18-55 kit lenses have rotating front elements. Most folks using the kit lenses probably wouldn't be using a CP. This is not intended to be a disparaging remark about kit lenses or their users; rather it is a balance between cost and features that those manufacturers have made.