Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2015, 10:54 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bought From Digital Rev?

I know DigitalRevtv is a legit youtube channel, but I recently discovered that they have a store as well, and I found this:

Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM Lens for DSLR for Sale

Sweet price, but this of course makes me assume it is grey-market, although there is no such label on the website. Anyone else bought from them? Thanks!

03-03-2015, 11:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

According to a plethora of customer reports DigitalRev is definitely grey market.
03-03-2015, 12:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
According to a plethora of customer reports DigitalRev is definitely grey market.
Grey market in what sense? They are a Hong Kong company and never hide it, just look at their youtube channel.

---------- Post added 03-03-15 at 08:11 PM ----------

QuoteQuote:
"You acknowledge and agree that DigitalRev Limited's role is limited to procuring products available in Hong Kong and other regions and making these products available through the site to you for purchase in Hong Kong and for your import to your country."
QuoteQuote:
"By purchasing a product through the Site, customers outside of Hong Kong authorise DigitalRev Limited to make arrangements for clearance of customs on their behalf for the products they have ordered."
Here's the proof.
03-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Grey market in what sense?
In the sense of the quotes you copied. The first implies that there is no guaranty regarding the regional imprint a product might have (documentation, firmware language choices, etc.). It also implies that the warranty (if any) will be through the manufacturer.

The customs implications are pretty much standard for any off-shore seller, regardless of where the vendor is located. If you make a purchase outside your country, you are the importer and are responsible for any import duty.

Steve

03-03-2015, 12:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
In the sense of the quotes you copied. The first implies that there is no guaranty regarding the regional imprint a product might have (documentation, firmware language choices, etc.). It also implies that the warranty (if any) will be through the manufacturer.

The customs implications are pretty much standard for any off-shore seller, regardless of where the vendor is located. If you make a purchase outside your country, you are the importer and are responsible for any import duty.

Steve
Yeah, but I don't really see it as grey market when the store is set up in the Hong Kong market but offers international orders. If so Adorama and B&H are both grey market for me here in Sweden.
03-03-2015, 01:05 PM   #6
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
If so Adorama and B&H are both grey market for me here in Sweden.
Do you get warranties from B&H and Adorama?
03-03-2015, 01:09 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah, but I don't really see it as grey market when the store is set up in the Hong Kong market but offers international orders. If so Adorama and B&H are both grey market for me here in Sweden.
Thr same - no Swedish warranty, right, VisualDarkness?

03-03-2015, 02:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Thr same - no Swedish warranty, right, VisualDarkness?
Exactly, I have to send stuff back to the US in case of problems. I only call stuff imported (or drop-shipped) in the wrong market "grey market", not stores based in another country as in this case.
03-03-2015, 02:19 PM   #9
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So what do you think? Pluses and minuses of buying a $500 lens for $350 from Digital Rev?
03-03-2015, 02:23 PM   #10
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Exactly, I have to send stuff back to the US in case of problems. I only call stuff imported (or drop-shipped) in the wrong market "grey market", not stores based in another country as in this case.
That's my interpretation of the term as well.

But whatever you call it I still prefer our Scandinavian warranties
03-03-2015, 02:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
So what do you think? Pluses and minuses of buying a $500 lens for $350 from Digital Rev?
If you've factored in customs and taxes and you're willing to deal with them instead of Sigma in case something goes wrong, then I guess you should go ahead DigitalRev seems to be a pretty large and reputable company. They've got a 9.8/10 rating on Trustpilot with over 2,500 reviews.
03-03-2015, 02:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

From B&H

QuoteQuote:
The terms "grey market", "direct import", and "Imported", refer to the same thing in this article. B&H sells most products with a warranty from the manufacturer or from the manufacturer's licensed importer. We also sell some products we've obtained from sources other than the manufacturer or its licensed importer. These are "grey market" products. "Grey market" is not illegal, not factory seconds, not demo merchandise, not cheaper or inferior products. In fact in almost every instance a "grey market" product is absolutely identical to its US-warranted counterpart.
See ► U.S. & Grey Market Products | B&H Photo Video
03-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Yes, it's grey market if they import the product and sells it, not if you as a customer do. There's a big difference.
03-03-2015, 03:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I purchased a light meter from them back when they had an ebay store. It was grey market as I understand the term- the item I received was not intended by the manufacturer to be distributed to the North American market but digitalrev sold it to me anyway.

Rather than quibble over the term, I think the more relevant question here is can you expect warranty support from your domestic sigma distributor? That I don't know one way or the other.
03-03-2015, 03:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I purchased a light meter from them back when they had an ebay store. It was grey market as I understand the term- the item I received was not intended by the manufacturer to be distributed to the North American market but digitalrev sold it to me anyway.

Rather than quibble over the term, I think the more relevant question here is can you expect warranty support from your domestic sigma distributor? That I don't know one way or the other.
Still, then every store selling internationally are selling grey market, making the term washed out.

I highly doubt that they got worldwide warranty like that.