Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2015, 09:08 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HD DA 40mm Limited -- Thoughts on my review?

I reviewed my littlest lens, the DA 40mm F2.8 Limited, and was impressed. I honestly only bought it (the lens reviewed was purchased by me not in conjunction with the review) because it was so darn small. But the IQ had really few flaws.

In retrospect, we probably should have compared to the FA 43mm Limited. My suspicion is that the tiny DA 40mm would beat it...

What do you think?

HD Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Review - Conclusion | PentaxForums.com Reviews

--Sean

03-31-2015, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent, complete and non-biased review!

I own the SMC version which now is 'stored' on my K-01 - so it uses the K5IIs sensor from your reviews (albeit 12 bit RAWs). That combo has replaced my Q7/01 as my jacket-pocket camera.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-31-2015 at 02:30 PM.
03-31-2015, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As a writer of several reviews so far, I enjoyed your work and thought it professional, well-written, with good images and accrate conclusions.

As an owner of the SMC version, I share your enthusiasm with the lens! I thought I would like the silver version better, though I personally am not a fan of the silver on the black body. But that's just me
03-31-2015, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Appreciate the remarks all!

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I thought I would like the silver version better, though I personally am not a fan of the silver on the black body. But that's just me
It looks great on my silver & black X-E2!

03-31-2015, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I like the review ...
It's a great people lens for amateur

f 2.8

and a cat

and the sharpness It's in full resolution (my wallpaper)

Last edited by AldaCZ; 03-31-2015 at 02:08 PM.
03-31-2015, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #6

I am very interested in getting a 40mm pancake for my k-50.
Would have like to have seen some comparison to the 40mm xs version.
Is the HD version really worth 3-4 times the price?
03-31-2015, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I really appreciated how you noticed and discussed the bokeh artifacts. I bought a used version of the lens a few months ago, noticed the bokeh artifacts, and ended up returning the lens because I thought that meant the lens was broken. If I'd known this was normal, I probably would have kept it. Oh well, I'll just have to look for another copy.

Two very minor things. I would have appreciated a comparison between the 40mm Limited, the 40mm XS, the 43mm Limited, and maybe the 35mms as well. The main reason I read reviews is to decide which of a handful of similar lenses I should buy, and that sort of comparison would help with that.

The other thing is that I find 40mm to be kind of an odd focal length, and I'm not really sure what it's useful for-- a brief discussion of that would have helped me, unless I missed it...

03-31-2015, 03:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TzalamChadash Quote
I am very interested in getting a 40mm pancake for my k-50.
For me, yes. The 40mm XS lacks 49mm filter threads (it only has the small threads) so I can't put my existing ND and IR filters on that one. It also doesn't have the neat little hood like the DA does.

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
I really appreciated how you noticed and discussed the bokeh artifacts. I bought a used version of the lens a few months ago, noticed the bokeh artifacts, and ended up returning the lens because I thought that meant the lens was broken. If I'd known this was normal, I probably would have kept it. Oh well, I'll just have to look for another copy.
They certainly can be funky - and they don't always show up, which is why some respondents told you it isn't normal. Some people I'm sure are more bothered than others - for my needs it was a very small factor. I don't find myself shooting foliage at f/2.8 much!

Two very minor things. I would have appreciated a comparison between the 40mm Limited, the 40mm XS, the 43mm Limited, and maybe the 35mms as well. The main reason I read reviews is to decide which of a handful of similar lenses I should buy, and that sort of comparison would help with that.
I suppose since there are already 43mm Limited and 35mm/2.4 recently-published reviews, we could focus this one just on the 40mm Limited.

The other thing is that I find 40mm to be kind of an odd focal length, and I'm not really sure what it's useful for-- a brief discussion of that would have helped me, unless I missed it...
Sort of, in the beginning paragraph here: HD Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Review - General Image Quality | PentaxForums.com Reviews

It's a 'normal' lens in this scope. I think we could fill a 100-page thread about what a 'normal' focal length lens is 'for'!

Thanks a lot for your comments.

---------- Post added 03-31-15 at 06:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
I like the review ...
It's a great people lens for amateur
Those people shots are very nice!
03-31-2015, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I bought my 40 mm Limited used in very abused condition. The lens is battered, scraped, but is super sharp with a great 3D effect. It is definitely one of my favorite lenses. The compact size is icing on the cake, no matter where I go and what lenses I take, this one always comes along. I really enjoyed reading the review. When I read the first review comparing it to the DA 35 Plastic Fantastic and the 40 mm XS, my thought was it needed a second look review. My thanks for giving this little lens it's second look.
04-01-2015, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
and the sharpness It's in full resolution (my wallpaper)
This looks like the Windows XP desktop wallpaper with a twist.

QuoteOriginally posted by TzalamChadash Quote
Hard to say. It's better built, with a hood and quick shift. The HD version has round aperture blades and better coatings. The SMC version lacks those two last elements but still has the rest, and can be found used for a good price.

I find it an excellent focal length for portraits, street, studio (since my space is cramped), landscape, cityscape (though I prefer the DA21)
04-01-2015, 08:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How could I forget about this review? We already did one of those, just with the SMC version. IMO the HD version is very slightly better than the SMC version, as was also covered in a comparative review.

40mm Limited vs. 40mm XS vs. 35mm f/2.4
Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

HD vs. SMC:
HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
04-01-2015, 03:23 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
In retrospect, we probably should have compared to the FA 43mm Limited. My suspicion is that the tiny DA 40mm would beat it...

What do you think?

HD Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Review - Conclusion | PentaxForums.com Reviews

--Sean
Don't be silly 43 operates in a different zone altogether. Like comparing a CD to a specially produced LP. One might measure better but the other is the one you enjoy more.

Oops started the opening shots of the 40 - 43 war!
04-01-2015, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

War of pancakes
04-01-2015, 05:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Don't be silly 43 operates in a different zone altogether. Like comparing a CD to a specially produced LP. One might measure better but the other is the one you enjoy more.

Oops started the opening shots of the 40 - 43 war!
Truth be told, I never liked the 43, and passed up buying one for cheap. Back 8 years ago (oh man, I'm getting old!) it was pretty criticized even in the early days of PF. I remember it specifically being used as an example of "bad bokeh".

Looking at the recent PF 43mm Ltd review, I'm pretty sure the criticism was founded.

Of course, I totally underestimated the DA40 Ltd. I'll be happy to be pleasantly surprised. 😄
04-01-2015, 05:16 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Like comparing a CD to a specially produced LP. One might measure better but the other is the one you enjoy more
I think that analogy is a good one......I sold my HD DA 40 after using my 43 for a while.....more a heart decision then a head one.....and when I think about it, it was that I "enjoyed" using the 43 more (as a hobbiest)....