Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-20-2015, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Pop Photo test on Limited 20-40

Popular Photography...May 2015 edition....has a test and some nice things to say, on the Pentax 20-40 Limited zoom. The test is untitled..' No Limits...unlimited potential in a Limited-Series Pentax.'

The showcase feature picture...a colour double page spread ...has been taken using the 20-40 Limited and a K-3.

All in all...good to see this coverage on Pentax in a major American, specialty photography magazine.

04-20-2015, 12:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting, maybe I'll pick it up to take a quick look

I love my DA 20-40, the compactness makes it more enjoyable even in low light conditions.
04-20-2015, 04:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Interesting, maybe I'll pick it up to take a quick look

I love my DA 20-40, the compactness makes it more enjoyable even in low light conditions.
When did you get your DA 20-40 ltd, you sneaky devil...

...the excerpt from Popular Photography May 2015

Last edited by Stavri; 04-20-2015 at 04:58 PM.
04-20-2015, 05:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
When did you get your DA 20-40 ltd, you sneaky devil...

...the excerpt from Popular Photography May 2015
Earlier in the year after my xmas bonus

It's really an enjoyable lens, especially at the discounted price. I'd say it's in a league of it's own if it ever drops to the $550 range.

04-20-2015, 06:55 PM   #5
Forum Member

I was just going to post something about this! I don't subscribe to PP but buy a copy any time I travel for business as I am this week. Went to dinner and opened it up and saw the showcase pic and read the lens review. Very favorable review of its performance and comparison to the Sigma Art 18-35, although admittedly not as fast. I agree good to see this coverage in a major photo pub.
04-20-2015, 08:23 PM   #6

I'm continually scratching my head about the mixed reviews for this lens. Lenstip and this website were not exactly impressed with the lens's corner sharpness till the lens was stopped down. The Pop Photo lab results do not seem to show this IQ shortcoming, nor do other reviews. Users seem to love the lens, however.

Maybe there are quality control issues?
04-20-2015, 08:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gavinhw Quote
I'm continually scratching my head about the mixed reviews for this lens. Lenstip and this website were not exactly impressed with the lens's corner sharpness till the lens was stopped down. The Pop Photo lab results do not seem to show this IQ shortcoming, nor do other reviews. Users seem to love the lens, however.

Most people who own this lens like it a lot. Other's got turned off by the PF review and others.

04-21-2015, 03:16 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gavinhw Quote

I think this was a tough lens for a lot of people to understand. A relatively short focal length, not super speedy aperture, but a small physical size. People were constantly comparing it to lenses like f2.8 zooms and even the Sigma f1.8 zoom (that was announced at a pretty similar time). And it seemed that there were some issues with bad copies initially. In addition, the launch price was pretty steep for what it was.

That said, it really feels like this is the sort of lens that fits really well with the DA limited ethos. If you want small lenses that are sharp wide open, but don't feature the fastest apertures, than Pentax has a line up that works well. If you want a 16-50 f2.8 zoom and don't care about size, then you should look elsewhere.

I like the photos I've seen from it, but I own a 16-50 and have been decently satisfied with it.
04-21-2015, 07:11 AM   #9

The 20-40 is $496.95 at Adorama right now when bundled with the K-3 or K-S2. The temptation....

Edit: it went up by $200 to hit $696.95 again. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..............

Edit: it's back at $496.95! lol

Last edited by goodnight; 04-26-2015 at 02:15 PM.
04-29-2015, 07:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think this was a tough lens for a lot of people to understand. A relatively short focal length, not super speedy aperture, but a small physical size. People were constantly comparing it to lenses like f2.8 zooms and even the Sigma f1.8 zoom (that was announced at a pretty similar time). And it seemed that there were some issues with bad copies initially. In addition, the launch price was pretty steep for what it was.

That said, it really feels like this is the sort of lens that fits really well with the DA limited ethos. If you want small lenses that are sharp wide open, but don't feature the fastest apertures, than Pentax has a line up that works well. If you want a 16-50 f2.8 zoom and don't care about size, then you should look elsewhere.

I like the photos I've seen from it, but I own a 16-50 and have been decently satisfied with it.
I am travelling to Japan and Korea now... I have noticed the price of the DA limited 20-40 price just went up on Apr-20 from 75000 to 84330 yen here in Japan. I managed to get a slightly used one at the older price. I am quite pleased with this lens so far for its overall performance which compares favorably to my 16-50. From now on, my traveling lens kits will likely be three small lenses including 18-135, 20-40 plus 77.