Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2015, 05:38 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
18-55mm DA L AL vs DA ALII

What's the difference between the kit lens that came with my K30 and the ALII? Looking at the reviews, the ALII has a better rating for all criteria but I thought they were optically identical? Is this just a result of subjective opinions or is does the ALII actually produce better images?

Would it be possible that the optical specs are the same but the ALII has better quality control or manufacturing tolerances?

I can get a 2nd hand ALII for about $30AUD, but undecided whether it's much of an upgrade. I'm not fussed about the metal mount but I do like the quick-shift feature.

04-27-2015, 08:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They are different optically. The old version I has 12 elements, 9 groups (1 aspherical element)
the new version II has 11 elements, 8 groups (1 aspherical element, 1 ED element).
The wr version II is the best of the series due to weather sealing.

But it's worth shelling out for the 18-135wr if you want to upgrade your 18-55. The 18-135 lens is noticeably better in every regard whilst being only slightly larger than the 18-55s.
04-28-2015, 04:22 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
The specifications in the user reviews section has the listed as optically identical (11 elements in 8 groups). The kit lens I refer to is under the "DA L Zoom" section.

It also looks like the WR version gets more mixed reviews regarding image quality despite being "optically identical" to the ALII, what's up with that?
04-29-2015, 12:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AL/II, WR and DAL are optically the same; the original AL is different.

The opinions in the user reviews are indeed subjective; also the AL/II comes from an era where QC was a little better so people might have a lesser quality copy.

04-29-2015, 12:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trevorg Quote
What's the difference between the kit lens that came with my K30 and the ALII?
None. But although the optical formula is the same, the lenses have their own personality. My personal scorecard of the 18-55's I've owned is:

AL II (kit lens with my K200D): 8.5. Excellent lens.
DAL (kit lens with my K-x): 8.5. Never took a bad shot with it. Worked great with the K-x.
AL II WR: 7. Images just never looked as good as images from the other lenses. But handy to have due to WR.

Overall the 18-55 is one of the better kit lenses out there. You can't really go wrong with any model. If you hit it's sweet spot it can be very sharp even wide open. Pic related from the SLRGear review of the AL II lens.

04-29-2015, 07:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by trevorg Quote
It also looks like the WR version gets more mixed reviews regarding image quality despite being "optically identical" to the ALII, what's up with that?
The WR version tends to be purchased by more experienced photographers who are accustomed to using better glass and are therefore more discriminating in their assessment of lens performance. Many people who get non-WR versions of the 18-55 are newbies just getting into DSLRs. They have no real frame of reference by which to judge the 18-55, beyond perhaps a cell phone or a compact camera.