Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2015, 03:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens cover for DFA 150-450

Hi are there any lens covers for this lens,camouflage type?
also anyone found a good holster bag for this & K5/K3 it seems only Manfrotto Pro Light Access Camera Holster: ACCESS H-17 PL or Kinesis C600 are the only options?

Thanks

06-03-2015, 07:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Haven't seen any yet- perhaps some will be release later this year.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-03-2015, 07:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Hi are there any lens covers for this lens,camouflage type?
also anyone found a good holster bag for this & K5/K3 it seems only Manfrotto Pro Light Access Camera Holster: ACCESS H-17 PL or Kinesis C600 are the only options?

Thanks
Another forum member sent his 150-450mm to LensCoat to get a set of neoprene, camo covers made (see the link below). Presumably LensCoat will soon offer these for sale in a variety of patterns.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/295779...300-2-8-a.html

LensCoat's link: - LensCoat

Edit:
They already have the new pattern on their website: http://www.lenscoat.com/lenscoat®-pentax-150450mm-f4556-p-2471.html
06-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

dang it.... now I want a lens cover for my DA*300

06-03-2015, 07:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Another forum member sent his 150-450mm to LensCoat to get a set of neoprene, camo covers made (see the link below). Presumably LensCoat will soon offer these for sale in a variety of patterns.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/295779...300-2-8-a.html

LensCoat's link: - LensCoat

Edit:
They already have the new pattern on their website: Pentax Covers - LensCoatTM Pentax 150-450 LensCoat
looks good,can I do it myself? won't risk sending to US from Europe...
06-03-2015, 09:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The lens is weather sealed, one could put so foliage and mud on it.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 06-03-2015 at 09:53 PM.
06-04-2015, 04:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

looks good,can I do it myself? won't risk sending to US from Europe...
LensCoat's covers are designed so that a customer who buys covers for a lens can easily install them him/herself. Instructions come with the covers, and the neoprene is stretchable, so the covers easily slip onto the lens. The forum member sent his lens to LensCoat only because the company had not yet designed the covers for that model of lens, so they needed to make a series of measurements of the dimensions of the lens. Once LensCoat had measured, cut and sewed a prototype, they then tested it on the forum member's lens. I recently received the "forest green" covers for my FA* 400mm f5.6 and was able to quickly slip them on my lens with no problem.

06-04-2015, 07:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm curious -- what's the point of putting a neoprene cover on a lens, particularly one with a camo pattern? I use neoprene pouches to store my lenses, but I can't think of what a cover would give you.
06-04-2015, 07:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian

the idea is that lens cover offers some protection from scrapes and bumps. It also helps break up the shape of your lens, making it less noticeable to wildlife. But any animal knows your there.
06-04-2015, 07:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
I'm curious -- what's the point of putting a neoprene cover on a lens, particularly one with a camo pattern? I use neoprene pouches to store my lenses, but I can't think of what a cover would give you.
The shiny silver barrel and hood on my FA* 400mm lens stand out like a sore thumb to the wildlife I photograph. The ubiquitous, white Canon L series telephotos and zooms that many people use to photograph wildlife are the biggest market for lens covers. Don't wear white, silver, red, orange or yellow unless you want to scare off the wildlife (although red attracts hummingbirds). When I had the DA* 300mm I didn't bother buying a cover for it because it was black.

The neoprene is easy to install, stays in place when in use, removes easily, and leaves no adhesive behind after removal. The alternative, various kinds of adhesive tape, leaves a sticky residue when removed from the lens, particularly if the tape has been in place for long periods of time. CamoForm (made by McNett) is an alternative without adhesive -- it's made out of self-adhering bandage. However, it can roll back when inserted into a camera bag.
06-04-2015, 01:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The shiny silver barrel and hood on my FA* 400mm lens stand out like a sore thumb to the wildlife I photograph. The ubiquitous, white Canon L series telephotos and zooms that many people use to photograph wildlife are the biggest market for lens covers. Don't wear white, silver, red, orange or yellow unless you want to scare off the wildlife (although red attracts hummingbirds). When I had the DA* 300mm I didn't bother buying a cover for it because it was black.

The neoprene is easy to install, stays in place when in use, removes easily, and leaves no adhesive behind after removal. The alternative, various kinds of adhesive tape, leaves a sticky residue when removed from the lens, particularly if the tape has been in place for long periods of time. CamoForm (made by McNett) is an alternative without adhesive -- it's made out of self-adhering bandage. However, it can roll back when inserted into a camera bag.
So black is not so scary for animals?? just think the big 150-450 might scare some birds away..as guns are also black & long
so lens coat is adhesive?

Thanks
06-04-2015, 06:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

So black is not so scary for animals?? just think the big 150-450 might scare some birds away..as guns are also black & long
so lens coat is adhesive?

Thanks
Black doesn't stand out as much from the background as light colours do, unless you're on a white-sand beach or a snow-covered field.

LensCoat is not adhesive. However, the inner surface has the texture of rubber, so the LensCoat cover does not slip easily against the lens barrel when you are handling the lens. This means the cover stays in place without adhesive.
06-04-2015, 06:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Black doesn't stand out as much from the background as light colours do, unless you're on a white-sand beach or a snow-covered field.

LensCoat is not adhesive. However, the inner surface has the texture of rubber, so the LensCoat cover does not slip easily against the lens barrel when you are handling the lens. This means the cover stays in place without adhesive.
so really no need to get a lens coat then,save only to prevent scratches on the outside of the lens... maybe just the lens hood would be enough if anything
06-05-2015, 06:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

One thing a cover might help with is heat.

I'm thinking Safari, which was my main purpose for getting the DFA150-450. A black lens under the African sun will heat up pretty fast. Having a lighter coloured cover may avoid that. The Realtree Max4 looks like the way to go for a safari setup. I would probably also add a Hoodie in the same material to protect the front element from gathering too much dust (esp when walking).

I wonder how the AF buttons will work however? And whether material will offer enough grip on the zoom ring which is pretty rigid to move?

Tempting as this is, the price is respectable to say the least. In comparison to the cost of the lens it's not that much OTOH...

Wim
06-05-2015, 08:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
I wonder how the AF buttons will work however?

Wim
In the photo on LensCoat's website of the 150-450mm cover you can see a rectangular cut-out to give access to the autofocus buttons.

Forum member GlassJunkie might be able to give feedback on whether the neoprene grips the zoom ring to move it.

---------- Post added 5th Jun 2015 at 13:17 ----------

I find it surprising that LensCoat now has lens covers for a variety of Pentax lenses. They had none until the DA 560mm was released. For a long time after that they sold covers for only that lens. Now LensCoat sells covers for 9 lenses. This number includes the HD DA 1.4x tele-converter, as well as 4 out-of-production lenses (FA* 200mm f2.8, FA* 300mm f2.8, FA* 400mm f5.6, and SMC 1000m f8)! If LensCoat is providing a supply, there must be demand for these products.