Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2015, 10:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Old lens on full frame body

Hi Pentaxians,

I have one question (may be stupid). I currently own a K7 and I am planning to buy FA43 or FA77. May be in future, I would like to move to full-frame, once the price drops considerably for my budget. My question is, any of the these FA lenses or any old M or A series will be any good for a sensor with 30+mp resolution? Will they be able to stand and deliver with the latest sensors? Or it is a good idea to buy new DFA lenses with better coating, etc?? Please suggest.

06-30-2015, 11:02 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Newer lenses will almost always be better, but that doesn't mean that older lenses are going to get any worse An FF sensor would need a 50Mp resolution (roughly) to match the pixel density of the K-3, so I don't think we should be overly concerned from the get-go.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-30-2015, 12:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If it's an FA limited, they'll shine on FF. With the older M and A, it's a question of which lens. The 50A f1.4 will perform quite well (more than good enough for 36mp). Some others less well (eg 20A f2.8). If they're good on the k-3 (and their corners aren't terrible), they should perform well enough. (The exception may be some of the older zoom lenses, which can be a bit dubious).
06-30-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It's probably safe to say that any old ultrawide lenses will be dramatically inferior to any new ultrawide lenses, at least when there's bright light. Coatings make such a large difference there.

07-01-2015, 09:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

There are a few Sony A7 users who have mounted FA Limited lenses on their bodies by using adapters. The resulting images looked very, very nice. Some initial pixel peeping revealed a very sharp center with some fall off in the edges as expected. Of course, new lenses with new design methodologies, materials, coating, etc have the potential to be sharper and all that ... but I don't think we have anything to be worried about. The FA Limited lenses are very good!
07-01-2015, 09:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much everyone. Now, I have to decide which one, FA43 or 77 ;-)
07-01-2015, 10:14 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ntrao Quote
Thank you very much everyone. Now, I have to decide which one, FA43 or 77 ;-)
Keep in mind your FOV will be a bit wider when you move those lenses from your K7 to a full frame.

07-01-2015, 11:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Keep in mind your FOV will be a bit wider when you move those lenses from your K7 to a full frame.
Reverse crop factor! yay headaches!

Approximation: the 43 will feel like a 28mm on k7; the 77 will feel like a 50mm on k7.