Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2015, 06:38 PM   #1

where to go with all these lense choices

Hey all - it's been a while since I've been here. The last few years I tucked my hobby away and had two kids, and I just got back from a vacation where I realized that this is something I want to pick up again. So, of course, it got me thinking lens setups. I'm really stuck at what direction I want to go with equipment and need some advice. First, here's what I have in the lens lineup that is worth mentioning.

DA21
DA40
A50 F/2
FA50 F/1.4
Sigma 18-50 F/2.8
Sigma 105 F/2.8 macro

I lost my DA70 a while back and never replaced it since at the time is was pretty pricey. So, I've been wanting to replace it, and what I think I'm really after is a good basic prime setup for travel, outdoor (landscape, adventure, nature, etc) and family pics. I've done several trips with primes only and it seems to work really well. In fact, I did a trip to Europe with the 21 and 70 and that's it, and it was totally fun. I like small and light and high quality construction that's going to last for a long time. So, with the news of a pentax FF, I'm somewhat at a cross roads. Here are my options:

Option 1: stick with DA lenses and finish the line up (15/21/40/70). I may ditch the sigma zoom (good lens, but a little bulky). I may also replace the sigma macro with the new DFA 100 macro. This would leave me with a setup that has all 49mm filters and very small and light.

Option 2: just plan to jump ship to FF and get the 3 FA limiteds. I'd sell everything else except the DA 21 and probably sigma macro.

Option 3, 4, 5, 6... some combo of the above or something else entirely.

So, what would you do? I'm in no rush to decide. I will definitely not be buying the first FF body that comes out though - I'd most likely wait until version 2, if that makes a difference.

07-27-2015, 06:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ncallender Quote
I'd most likely wait until version 2, if that makes a difference.
Version 2 might be 2017 or 2018 so I would just focus on APS-C and make sure you enjoy the hobby for now. When version 2 does come out (a big if IMHO) that is soon enough to worry about FF lenses.
just plan to jump ship to FF and get the 3 FA limiteds.
The FA limiteds are bigger than the DA ones, and how they will perform on the digital FF is as yet unknown. You could end up getting them and then 2 years down the road want the new DFA Limiteds instead. So, not a good option if you are waiting for FF v2
stick with DA lenses and finish the line up (15/21/40/70)
That gets my vote and add the DFA 100 WR (which is the same construction as the DA limiteds and should be a limited lens) and you have a wonderful prime kit with all 49mm filters. Keep the FA 50mm because it is f/1.4 and sell off the Sigmas. If you want an all around zoom look at the DA 18-135 or 16-85 plenty good enough for family snaps and you have the primes when you want the best.
07-27-2015, 07:12 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

This is a hard call and you cannot only decide for yourself.

First there is nothing wrong with mixing up lenses. You do not need to have a complete series. You do not need to have all AF lenses.

Assuming that you not need a focal length above 200 mm, I would suggest:

-keep the Da21mm and DA40mm

-buy the FA31mm and FA77mm - to complement the above lenses that you own already

-consider an all-around lens like to DA18-135mm when you go on holiday with the family.

Hope this will help.

Last edited by hcc; 07-27-2015 at 10:56 PM.
07-27-2015, 07:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I've tried a bunch of different lenses. It can be very daunting (and expensive) to figure all this stuff out. Basically I bought everything I thought I would like.

i started out in photography wanting nothing but the biggest zoom I could find. Then I migrated over and was using a 17-50mm. Then I bought some Limited primes.

After a long while using those, I started using FA Limiteds. Truth be told I could go around the world with the 3 amigos and be more than satisfied. And to be honest, that's what I will be doing pretty soon most likely.

I am also now back to somewhat being attracted to a short to medium weather sealed zoom to accompany the 3 amigos. If I could find a 16-50mm (that range) full frame weather sealed constant aperture zoom I would be on it. Truth be told I am a HUGE prime lens fan, but I definitely see the virtue in having a zoom in the bag to be able to add a different style of shooting. If I am walking around the dusty streets somewhere or caught up in a rain storm in Vietnam the zoom is the way to go. Also if I am walking around and see a scene unfolding right in front of me, a zoom will be the best.

At heart I am a prime lens kind of guy. 110% I am a prime guy... but that said I will probably re-purchase a zoom again at some point.

07-27-2015, 08:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You have 18-50 covered with 5 good lenses.
I would either hang on to these and not get any more in that range; or consolidate to just the most used.

With your lens kit, I would miss not having a wide angle and not having a long telephoto. YMMV!!
07-27-2015, 09:20 PM   #6

Option 2: just plan to jump ship to FF and get the 3 FA limiteds.
Keep in mind that the DA 40mm and 70mm cover the full frame sensor and may be compatible with the upcoming full frame body. You can't go wrong with the FA limiteds, but if I were in your position right now, I would wait to see what new lenses are announced for the full frame before getting them. The newer lens features (DC, WR, newer coatings) are really nice to have.
07-27-2015, 09:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The 3 FA's are not very wide nor long on FF, but if you were happy with the 21/70, and you don't shoot long or wide, maybe they would be enough.

07-27-2015, 09:50 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DA21
DA40
A50 F/2
FA50 F/1.4
Sigma 18-50 F/2.8
Sigma 105 F/2.8 macro

I lost my DA70 a while back and never replaced it since at the time is was pretty pricey. So, I've been wanting to replace it, and what I think I'm really after is a good basic prime setup for travel, outdoor (landscape, adventure, nature, etc) and family pics. I've done several trips with primes only and it seems to work really well. In fact, I did a trip to Europe with the 21 and 70 and that's it, and it was totally fun. I like small and light and high quality construction that's going to last for a long time. So, with the news of a pentax FF, I'm somewhat at a cross roads. Here are my options:

Option 1: stick with DA lenses and finish the line up (15/21/40/70). I may ditch the sigma zoom (good lens, but a little bulky). I may also replace the sigma macro with the new DFA 100 macro. This would leave me with a setup that has all 49mm filters and very small and light.

Option 1. I currently own the 15, the 40 and the 70. I carry them when I want a small prime kit. Sometimes I add to that my HD DA 1.4x TC for use on the 70 for extra reach.

BTW - on the 40 and 70 the HD version seems to be preferred. I have the SMC 15 and 40 and the HD 70. I can't compare since I don't have the alternate versions. Since you already know this style kit works for you - I would just add to it and thin the herd a bit. The 15 is well worth adding and you already know what the 70 can do. The DFA 100 is a nice lens but I find macro to be something I am more apt to make a special trip for rather than just happenstance. I carry a Raynox filter for use in the field when I need it unexpectedly. I also carry the HD DA 1.4x TC for extra reach from my 70mm. I have the F 100 Macro which is much heavier and larger than the DF A which may influence my thinking a bit in this respect.
07-27-2015, 10:02 PM   #9
Pentaxian

You do not have the 15 ltd. The DFA100 can be used in a lot of cases, and with the future full frame body.
07-27-2015, 11:33 PM   #10
Pentaxian

If the FA77 is too much $outlay, I'd suggest the M85 f2 or 100/2.8 non-macro for now. I really like my small and talented M100/2.8, esp since my 50mm is the DFA macro. The DA15 would definitely fill the wide gap.
07-28-2015, 12:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I like to use mostly Pentax primes.... and thats all I take with me on my travels..... normally in a nice little Domke 5ish bag.... waxed canvas is lovely with them. Any way, My preferance when travelling with a APSC camera is the 21, 31, 43 and 77. Just wonderfull. I have a 15 as well.... but don't use it much when traveling. I find the 31 the most used. When FF comes along, then the 31,43 and 77 will do nicely.... thanks. The only lens I add to these when travelling is my F*300/4.5...... pure perfection!
07-28-2015, 03:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

You have a pretty nice lineup already! Sure, you have a gap in the short telephoto range, since you lost the 70mm (my condolences), but wouldn't you be more interested in something above 105mm? 200mm telephoto is a lot of fun, opens some new opportunities.
Or get a Samyang 14mm. Its ultra wide, FF compatible, fast aperture, sharp optics.. but manual focus and super affordable. Noticeably wider than 21mm.
07-28-2015, 03:59 AM   #13

Hey all - it's been a while since I've been here. The last few years I tucked my hobby away and had two kids, and I just got back from a vacation where I realized that this is something I want to pick up again. So, of course, it got me thinking lens setups. I'm really stuck at what direction I want to go with equipment and need some advice. First, here's what I have in the lens lineup that is worth mentioning.

DA21
DA40
A50 F/2
FA50 F/1.4
Sigma 18-50 F/2.8
Sigma 105 F/2.8 macro

Option 2: just plan to jump ship to FF and get the 3 FA limiteds. I'd sell everything else except the DA 21 and probably sigma macro.

Option 3, 4, 5, 6... some combo of the above or something else entirely.

So, what would you do? I'm in no rush to decide. I will definitely not be buying the first FF body that comes out though - I'd most likely wait until version 2, if that makes a difference.
Just starting photography again myself - from film days I relied on three prime lenses most of the time 35MM ,50MM, and 135 MM . I plan to do something similar this time round unless anyone can advise?
07-28-2015, 07:41 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobble Quote
I plan to do something similar this time round unless anyone can advise?
It's difficult to advise without knowing what you're photographing. I do prefer primes, and 28-50-135 is my preferred kit (that first one is an FA prime); but that being said, I like to have a zoom or two on hand for when I need flexibility and can't waste time changing lenses. If I didn't already have an 18-250, the 18-135 WR would be high on my candidate list. Those who mostly shoot at the long end would be better served by their single zoom being in the 70-200 range or thereabouts.
07-28-2015, 07:54 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobble Quote
from film days I relied on three prime lenses most of the time 35MM ,50MM, and 135 MM . I plan to do something similar this time round unless anyone can advise?
No reason that will not work on the digital FF as well. One big difference now though is that zooms have improved dramatically but primes only marginally. So a good modern zoom will deliver image quality similar or better than your older prime lenses but in a single package.

If you still have your 35, 50 & 135 then you are all good to go. If not you might consider just getting a single good zoom. Of course we do not know what Ricoh has planned for us in the zoom category yet.

One of my favorites is the old F 35-135 as far as focal length is concerned though the IQ and handling of that lens is not the best.