Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2015, 11:26 PM   #1

Pentax q7 focal reducer

Hello,

Im new to the forums and I had a few questions. I own a Pentax q7 and it came with the standard 5mm-15mm zoom lens, lens 02. This lens is pretty nice, but I wanted to start using vintage lenses, specifically some nice cheap vintage 50mm lenses. The only problem with using these lenses is the crop factor for the Pentax q7, Its a whopping 4.7x crop factor. A 50mm lens on a Pentax q7 would be equivalent to a 235mm lens. Any tips on making a 50mm lens look like a 10mm lens. I was thinking about a focal reducer, but I just can't find any. I also have no clue on what kind I need either.

If a focal reducer is too complicated, do you have any suggestions on any nice vintage lenses for the Pentax q7? Something with a focal length between 8mm and 12mm so I can get that nice natural 50mm look. and a prime lens is preferable.

Thanks

07-28-2015, 01:08 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think you can beat the 01 standard prime when it comes to a normal lens. Adapted K-mount lenses are generally going to be teles or extreme teles- which is part of the appeal of the Q system. I guess you could also look at smaller lenses like C mount, which could give closer to a normal focal length.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-28-2015, 04:03 AM   #3

I'm not aware of any focal reducer available for the Q system. When it comes to adapting older lenses, it really only makes sense to use C or D-mount cine lenses.
Schneider Kreuznach Xenon and Cinegon primes and the Optivaron zooms actually have decent IQ and they start at 6mm. My favorite lens is the schneider 17mm f/0.95.
07-28-2015, 05:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Your best bet is to get an 01 prime lens. It is extraordinarily sharp and relatively easy to get now compared to a year ago. Shoot it between f/1.9 and f/2.8 for best results before diffraction eats away at the IQ.

07-28-2015, 08:57 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
You could theoretically adapt nearly any ILC lens to a Q because the registration distance for the Q is the shortest around. However, most ILC cameras have (or had) a much larger sensor or film size than the Q. This makes it so that lenses for most systems will only be helpful for 'telephoto' type applications. There are a few exceptions.

The adaptors for the Q that are easy to come by for more normal focal length applications are for C mount, D mount, and Pentax 110 mount (and even the 110 mount tend a bit toward 'telephoto' lengths).

The adaptors that are easy to come by for 'telephoto' applications include those for K mount, EOS mount, F mount and M42 mount.

(Telephoto technically just means a lens that has a focal length longer than its physical length, but is often used it to mean lenses with a length longer than the normal focal length for the system.)
07-28-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Frankly, the Pentax 110 lenses kinda suck for use on the Q, since they are fixed aperture, and you have to resort to mods (flocking the adapter and adding aperture discs) to get a half-way decent picture out of them on thye Q.
I get excellent pictures from the 110 lenses on the Q series. Flocking not required -- stopping down with a disc helps, but having a fixed aperture isn't a big deal for what I do. So...there are limitations, but "kinda suck" is a bit strong except to those who think anything manual focus sucks. I would say it "quite easy" to get more than half-way decent pictures out of them. The 110 lenses are very sharp (with the exception of the 18mm pan focus) -- you can even do reasonable macro with their associated close-up filters and it is all very compact. I'm very fond of my 110s on the Q...
07-28-2015, 03:34 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by romay Quote
I'm not aware of any focal reducer available for the Q system. When it comes to adapting older lenses, it really only makes sense to use C or D-mount cine lenses.
Schneider Kreuznach Xenon and Cinegon primes and the Optivaron zooms actually have decent IQ and they start at 6mm. My favorite lens is the schneider 17mm f/0.95.
Where can you find these lenses? I cant seem to find them any where

---------- Post added 07-28-15 at 03:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Any of the Kern or Berthiot lenses made for 16mm Bolex cine cams. Some of the 8mms work, too, but watch out for vignetting. Cosmicar (Pentax) and Fujinon C mount CCTV and lenses are great, too.
Are there any specific lenses that you would recommend? And where can you buy them? Any good lenses under $50 usd? Im looking for a good prime 50mm equivalent so something between 8mm and 12mm. I am also looking for a good lens that can cover higher focal length maybe something starting around the 15mm focal length and goes up to any number past 28mm. So far I only have the standard zoom lens which covers 5-15mm. And Im looking for vintage lenses under $50 usd. Thanks

---------- Post added 07-28-15 at 03:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Naughtyninja Quote
Where can you find these lenses? I cant seem to find them any where

---------- Post added 07-28-15 at 03:41 PM ----------

Are there any specific lenses that you would recommend? And where can you buy them? Any good lenses under $50 usd? Im looking for a good prime 50mm equivalent so something between 8mm and 12mm. I am also looking for a good lens that can cover higher focal length maybe something starting around the 15mm focal length and goes up to any number past 28mm. So far I only have the standard zoom lens which covers 5-15mm. And Im looking for vintage lenses under $50 usd. Thanks
Oh and any suggestions on a budget zoom lens that is par focal with a constant aperture? Any zoom lens between 5mm to 50mm would be fine, but the lower the focal length the better. Im mostly using my camera for film making.