Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2015, 10:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Vintage Lens Leather Case Question

Hi there,

I just bought my first Super-Takumar 135mm f/3.5, it came with the original 'Asahi Optiocal Corporation' leather case and I was wondering if I should keep it stored in that case ? Should I put a silicate satchel in it, just to be sure ? For the records, I'm not familiar with leather cases.

thank you for your time.
Regards.

07-28-2015, 11:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you live in a humid environment and plan to leave the lens on the shelf for extended periods, then yes I would use silicate.
07-28-2015, 12:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 84-5 Quote
Hi there,

I just bought my first Super-Takumar 135mm f/3.5, it came with the original 'Asahi Optiocal Corporation' leather case and I was wondering if I should keep it stored in that case ? Should I put a silicate satchel in it, just to be sure ? For the records, I'm not familiar with leather cases.

thank you for your time.
Regards.
Yep that's what I do with all my old lenses.

Phil.
07-28-2015, 02:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

is the case in good condition? I picked up an old leather camera bag that had a fabric liner that looked OK at first, but after a few days of stuff banging around in it, the fabric just disintegrated and left horrible dust all over everything. Thankfully this was on my first DSLR and I only had 1 lens, which was mounted on the camera and had a dust gasket, so dust didn't get in the lens or camera, but it was all over the outside, the filters and other random crap that was in the bag.. ugh.

If it's straight leather with no liner, and it's in good condition, its probably fine.

If you can take a white cloth and rub hard all over the inside of the case and the cloth comes out as clean as it went in, sounds like you're golden... if not, well, be careful.

I prefer putting my lenses in neoprene pouches if I'm going to be carrying them in a bag or storing them in a drawer or something.

07-28-2015, 05:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I store all of my lenses out of the cases. I want as much air circulation around them as possible to prevent fungus.
07-28-2015, 07:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
is the case in good condition? I picked up an old leather camera bag that had a fabric liner that looked OK at first, but after a few days of stuff banging around in it, the fabric just disintegrated and left horrible dust all over everything. Thankfully this was on my first DSLR and I only had 1 lens, which was mounted on the camera and had a dust gasket, so dust didn't get in the lens or camera, but it was all over the outside, the filters and other random crap that was in the bag.. ugh.

If it's straight leather with no liner, and it's in good condition, its probably fine.

If you can take a white cloth and rub hard all over the inside of the case and the cloth comes out as clean as it went in, sounds like you're golden... if not, well, be careful.

I prefer putting my lenses in neoprene pouches if I'm going to be carrying them in a bag or storing them in a drawer or something.
The gent who sold it to me was the original owner, he had it since the late 60's.
Here's the inside, as you can see it's very clean and the lining ain't dirty.

07-28-2015, 07:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These hard cases are lined with a green or red velvet looking cloth fabric with foam on the top and bottom. The case itself is a hard cardboard covered with a leather like material.

Phil.

07-28-2015, 07:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Clean to look at doesn't matter. Glue can break down. Whack it s few times on a table, rub it with a cloth after, shake it upside down onto clean white paper and see if anything comes out. hopefully not.
07-28-2015, 07:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Clean to look at doesn't matter. Glue can break down. Whack it s few times on a table, rub it with a cloth after, shake it upside down onto clean white paper and see if anything comes out. hopefully not.
Hi there,

Just just did as you said, whacked it a few times and passed a white paper. No gunk came out : )
07-28-2015, 07:58 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
I store all of my lenses out of the cases. I want as much air circulation around them as possible to prevent fungus.
Good idea, I usually only use lens cases when I want to carry the lens somewhere. Otherwise they sit on my shelf, like expensive wine glasses.

Last edited by hjoseph7; 07-29-2015 at 10:27 AM. Reason: typo
07-28-2015, 08:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just for the records, I live in Canada so humidity ain't a problem.
07-28-2015, 09:28 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 84-5 Quote
Just for the records, I live in Canada so humidity ain't a problem.
I'm in Vancouver and have stored my camera & three lenses in similar cases for the past 40 years with no issues. I have recently just added a small gel pack in the top of each case and leave them unfastened, as the gel packs make the case hard to close.

When I get a new "old" case I usually just vacuum it out and re glue any fabric/foam that has come loose.

Phil.
05-31-2017, 02:31 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I know this is an old thread, but is there an actual market for these things? I've got a bunch I don't use in varying condition.
05-31-2017, 02:40 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I know this is an old thread, but is there an actual market for these things? I've got a bunch I don't use in varying condition.
Sure there is. Depending on the size, I have several lenses could benefit from having a leather case instead of being stored the way they are now. Which is not ideal, as it's humid here most days.
05-31-2017, 03:22 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Yep a case in good condition can easily fetch over $20.00. Some hard lens cases are rare and you can get even more for them.

Phil.