Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2015, 11:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Cloudy m-200mm F4

I've got the opportunity to buy a pentax M 200mm F4 for a reasonable price, but after testing it it looks a bit cloudy. Is this a known characteristic of this lens, or should it have good contrast? I only shot at 5.6 and 8.

08-28-2015, 11:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

You'd have to give example shots. I know the 200 M isn't stellar with contrast (or CA) but it shouldn't be particularly "cloudy".
08-28-2015, 11:47 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clockworkrat Quote
Is this a known characteristic of this lens
No, "cloudy" is not a known characteristic of the M 200/4. Contrast is fairly typical for the breed and it benefits from a little deeper hood than the one built onto the lens.

Here is one of my better shots with my copy:

...and another (back-lit) shot taken at a longer distance:

I also have a Vivitar 200/3.5 (Komine) of about the same vintage. That lens is both bulkier and heavier than the Pentax, but also is a little sharper with better contrast.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-28-2015 at 11:56 AM.
08-28-2015, 11:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Here's a full size shot from a baseball game with only minor post done, don't really see any cloudiness.

http://puu.sh/iLsBv/e194fb0c3c.jpg

And here's a shot of the moon I took a while ago cuz why not!

08-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
If there is haze on one of the inner elements, chances are it can be cleaned. What does it look like if you shine a flashlight through it?
Good idea...

Dark room, penlight, shine obliquely through front while looking through back. Repeat with light shining through back.

Steve
08-28-2015, 03:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I've got the opportunity to buy a pentax M 200mm F4 for a reasonable price, but after testing it it looks a bit cloudy. Is this a known characteristic of this lens, or should it have good contrast? I only shot at 5.6 and 8.
There are so many copies of this lens for sale, generally at very reasonable prices,
that it's really not worth bothering with a potentially poor one.

My copy is not at all cloudy. The lens is sharper towards infinity than it is closer in.
08-28-2015, 06:11 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Could just be slight overexposure, too.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-28-2015, 07:50 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Could just be slight overexposure, too.
OP has disappeared...

Steve
08-29-2015, 06:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I agree with the general direction of comments, especially the point made by Lytrytyr regarding sharpness and contrast better near infinity.

Obviously, if you can look at the lens to see if it's clean overall, that helps. Shot RAW at the longer distances, it's a fun lens to have because it's very small for 200 f/4, has the nice built-in retractable hood, and typical superb M build. It is cheap for a reason, though, and the contrast is pretty low even on a clean copy. It takes some work with good RAW conversion to get really strong shots and eliminate the CA, but the final result can be quite impressive as shown above (especially in good light).

Still, I would rate the even-smaller 75-150 from the same era a step higher overall, especially when it comes to contrast and shooting at closer distances.
08-29-2015, 03:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Obviously, if you can look at the lens to see if it's clean overall, that helps. Shot RAW at the longer distances, it's a fun lens to have because it's very small for 200 f/4, has the nice built-in retractable hood, and typical superb M build. It is cheap for a reason, though, and the contrast is pretty low even on a clean copy. It takes some work with good RAW conversion to get really strong shots and eliminate the CA, but the final result can be quite impressive as shown above (especially in good light).
Thanks, that's the information I was looking for.

Here are my test shots exported from Darktable with no edits.

The second one in particular bothers me because I was shielding the lens from the sun and pointing at what should be a really high contrast scene.
08-29-2015, 03:16 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks, that's the information I was looking for.

Here are my test shots exported from Darktable with no edits.

The second one in particular bothers me because I was shielding the lens from the sun and pointing at what should be a really high contrast scene.
Unless it was a foggy day, those results are not typical. OTOH, your import settings to Darktable might at fault. Do out-of-camera JPEGs show the same low contrast?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-29-2015 at 03:25 PM.
08-29-2015, 03:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Definitely pass. It must have haze or fungus. It really shouldn't have IQ all that much different than the 50-200 at the long end, probably a bit sharper and just a bit less contrast. Keep an eye out for one in better shape - they're a good deal with so many of them typically available if you wait just a bit.
08-29-2015, 05:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Unless it was a foggy day, those results are not typical. OTOH, your import settings to Darktable might at fault. Do out-of-camera JPEGs show the same low contrast?
I just use RAW these days, but from other lenses I do get better contrast.

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Definitely pass. It must have haze or fungus. It really shouldn't have IQ all that much different than the 50-200 at the long end, probably a bit sharper and just a bit less contrast. Keep an eye out for one in better shape - they're a good deal with so many of them typically available if you wait just a bit.
Cheers, may do.