Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2015, 09:10 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kudos for Pentax Super Mult-Coating, and a Lens Filter Buying Tip

I just returned from a very rewarding trip to Cuba. In particular, the two cities I visited - Havana and Matanzas - were an absolute photographer's dream. However, I had some troubles with my polarizing filters that I thought I'd mention in case you are planning to travel to Cuba.

The cities are loaded with air pollution. I'd assumed this was primarily from all of the old cars belching out exhaust fumes (and believe me, they do a lot of belching), but I was told upon returning to Canada that there are factories outside the cities that also produce copious amounts of air pollution.

Regardless of the source, the pollution was trouble for my polarizing lens filters. In normal use, they are good quality, but they do not have multi-coating, and were an absolute bitch to keep clean. On more occasions than I care to mention, my filters were covered in gunk that didn't wipe off easily. Then, half way through the trip, my one and only lens pen broke, and I was left with just my microfibre cloth to do the cleaning.

The problem worsened until I ended up removing them and just throwing them in my bag. Just couldn't keep them smudge-free.

The good news was that my Pentax super-multi coated lenses fared much better and were easily cleaned. I also have the Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 which was not as good as my Pentax lenses, but better than the filters.

The lessons I learned from this trip are that; Pentax lenses even better quality than I thought, and that I will be spending extra money on lens filters to ensure they also have multi-coating.

Hope this helps someone avoid what I went through.

08-29-2015, 09:39 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you are most likely referring to Super Protect coatings. Different than SMC.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/104892-pentax-coa...ro-bright.html
08-29-2015, 10:06 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I think you are most likely referring to Super Protect coatings. Different than SMC.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/104892-pentax-coa...ro-bright.html
Thanks. Whatever it is called, it is infinitely better than the filters I was using, and quite a lot better than what is used on my Sigma lens.
08-30-2015, 12:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If it is that bad on your camera equipment, Think about what it is doing to your lungs. And worse still, think about all the people who have to live there, Especially the kids. Breathing that stuff all day long, for their entire life. It cannot be good for them.

08-31-2015, 07:38 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by promacjoe Quote
If it is that bad on your camera equipment, Think about what it is doing to your lungs. And worse still, think about all the people who have to live there, Especially the kids. Breathing that stuff all day long, for their entire life. It cannot be good for them.
Yup - that thought crossed my mind many times while I was there.