Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2015, 09:49 AM   #1

Do I need a standard zoom?

Folks, I know this is personal preference but I'm still optimizing my gear. On the wide end I have a 15/21/40/50 prime set, and a sigma 18-50 ex. The standard zoom is actually a great piece of glass but I hardly ever use it any more. Mostly because I love the limiteds and I usually just pick one and use it for a while. So is it worth keeping? Or maybe I should upgrade it to either a 16-50 for weather sealing or a 12-24 for a great travel/outdoor lens. For those who love their primes, how often do you pick a standard zoom and why?

08-29-2015, 10:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Sounds like you answered your own question.
08-29-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I had this discussion on one of my threads recently. If you want you can look for it.

Basically I am in the same boat. I LOVE my primes!!! There is nothing like an FA Limited!

That said it all depends on what you are doing and what kind of shooting you want to do.

For me it boils down to this... I will describe it as two styles... one is painting and the other is hunting. When I 'paint' I find a shot, look for light, hunt, wait, plan, I scope out a place, see when the light might be best... and try to go back there sometimes numerous times to get the shot...

When it comes to hunting though that is a different thing. A friend of mine lives in Africa and one day there was a small riot on the streets (no reported injuries) but in the midst of the (what amounted to a food fight) some guy stooped down and picked up a big chunk of watermelon that had been busted during the fight...

It turned out (to me) to be a pretty compelling photo...people were fighting and arguing all over the place and he's there just munching away on some watermelon...

He had *snap* about that long to get and compose his shot and take it. He was able to take it at several angles of view as well... because he had a zoom... and later on was able to pick the one that looked the best.

So for me choosing a zoom isn't about image quality. I love my primes and you won't get them away from me... but I am also very much considering getting the 16-85mm merely because of situations like what my friend experienced.
08-29-2015, 10:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Maybe. You have a good collection of short primes.

Maybe you might enjoy a longer zoom lens?

08-29-2015, 11:54 AM   #5

Original Poster
I am debating between the Tamron 70-200 and da300 as long lenses at the moment as well if that makes any difference.
08-29-2015, 04:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My choice is pretty easy: DA15/K24/DFA50 when I can take my time or need macro, Sigma's 18-50 HSM if silent focus and a random mix of focal lengths will be needed. I found the 18-50 for under $100 so it was a cheap insurance policy, which cannot be said for the DA* but if weather seals + silent focus are really important at times, the 16-50 or 16-85 is probably your best option. You don't say if your 18-50 has HSM so you may be in the same spot as I with that.
08-29-2015, 05:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My first UWA zoom, the Sigma 10-20mm, was a revelation for me. If you haven't tried an ultra-wide before, I suggest you do so. I never imagined I would use an ultra-side so much, but for a while it was probably my most frequently used lens.

08-29-2015, 06:21 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ncallender Quote
Mostly because I love the limiteds and I usually just pick one and use it for a while.

You are a prime user. You will unlikely get more than $200 for the 18-50 but I would sell it. I love the 12-24 but would only get it if you got rid of the now-redundant 15 and 21. I recommend getting different focal lengths rather than duplicating what you have and fretting over which lens to use.
08-30-2015, 10:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I agree with not duplicating focal lengths. Personally, I am keenly aware of redundancy and the burdensome feeling of having "too much stuff." I only have primes under 100mm. That being said there is always a lingering feeling (suspicion?) that I am missing something by not having a 16/17--50/70/85 zoom.

I wish you could buy hindsight rather than waste time doubting or drooling over the fantasy of other lenses.
08-30-2015, 10:41 AM   #10
Pentaxian

If I were you, I'd keep your Sigma 18-50 for those times when you want to travel as light as possible, then sell either your 40mm or 50mm to help finance a longer prime, like the 77mm or maybe a 100 f2.8 macro.
08-30-2015, 06:08 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

For over twenty years of 35mm film photography, I shot with two primes (28mm and 50mm) and a moderate tele zoom (70-150). When I bought my K10D in 2007, I got the 18-55 kit because there was no difference in price vs. body only. I figured I would move back to a 2+1 kit again as the lens selection expanded over time.

Well, that was 8 years ago and while I was lucky to acquire the FA 35/2 when it was still moderately priced, I am still waiting for that magic 18mm f/2.8 prime to duplicate the performance and utility of the tiny 28/2.5 Tamron that was so handy on 35mm film. I am also still waiting for the 50-100/3.5 compact zoom to fill the slot held by the Tamron 70-150/3.5. (No, I had no funds for the DA 15 Limited or DA* 50-135/2.8.)

Since then the FA 35/2 was pretty much resident on the camera with both the kit zoom and a Zenitar 16/1.8 Fisheye sharing space in the bag with the old Tamron zoom. I learned to squeeze every possible bit of utility from that kit lens and came to appreciate what it had to offer. As a result, I did not hesitate on the purchase of a Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 (C) when I bought my K-3 and I could not be happier...unless Pentax were to manage a FA 20/2.8 redux...

Soooo...do you need a standard zoom? Given that you already own a broad range of wide to short tele primes, I would say no. That is unless you want to leave the bag at home on occasion.

Steve
08-30-2015, 07:31 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got a cheapo 18-55 DA L for those times when I didn't want to bother with the primes.

Those times never came.
08-30-2015, 08:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
I got a cheapo 18-55 DA L for those times when I didn't want to bother with the primes.

Those times never came.
I think that is good advice. Heck, maybe even "splurge" on a WR version for times you want to travel light in wet climates.
08-31-2015, 04:54 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I'll go for a zoom when I know I'll need lots of focal lengths and probably won't be able to stop and change lenses (out with the kids at a playground or on holiday, etc). I recently bought a secondhand Pentax FA 28-90, which on a full-frame camera would be the equivalent of an APS-C 18-60, but haven't yet got around to trying it on a film body. However, given that I use a 28-50-135mm trio on my K-5, the 28-90 actually covers most of that ground if I want to carry just one lens for lightness and leave the FA primes at home. Most of that shooting is in broad daylight or at short range with the inbuilt flash, so the significant drop in speed at the long end (f/5.6) isn't as much of an issue as it otherwise would be.

If I had your lens set and wanted a single zoom to fill in for those "don't want to change lenses" days, the 16-50 is the obvious choice as it spans pretty much your entire prime kit (bar 1mm at the wide end). Plus there's that weather sealing and the constant f/2.8 aperture, which is as fast as or faster than all but one of your primes. Speed isn't everything, I know; but for a zoom you are using in place of multiple primes, that's not to be ignored. The issue of course is that the SDM motor has strikes against it for failures and reliability issues - and that would be your risk to take.