Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2015, 04:25 PM   #1
Forum Member

DA 35mm f2.4 in colors

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I posted about this the other day in Ask B and H Photo, and no they don't have/can't get them. Thought I would follow up here in case others are interested as well. Saw pictures of this lens, in 12 different colors in the lens review database. I have a new blue K-S1 and would like to have a fun lens color for my fun camera. Found them online on Ebay and coming from Japan at quite a premium (around $260 + shipping). Nada on Amazon.com, unless I wanted black.

Searching the forums here I found other people were interested in the recent past and ran into the same problems as I did. I checked Pentax's catalog via the link found in one of the forum posts. Here it is: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/support/catalog/pdf/lenses_accessories.pdf (see pages 9/10), and sure enough this lens is still being made. The Pentax US webstore does not stock this lens in colors, so I wrote and asked why/if I could get the lens from them. No answer. I posted on Ricoh's Facebook page asking the same thing. No response.

So today I searched kakaku in Japan, with a little help from Google Translate. Found the lens. Then found who was selling it at a good price in colors (around $160). One of those sellers was Amazon.co.jp. Visited the page and found they carry all 12 colors! At around the $160 price + shipping (free to Amazon prime members in Japan). Plus they provide English translation on the website. I wondered if my Amazon account in the US could be used, so I had a chat session with an Amazon.com rep and asked her if 1) they could stock the lens in the US (and maybe offer a square trade warranty as Pentax USA likely wouldn't honor the warranty here) or, 2) if I could use my Amazon.com account to buy things on Amazon.co.jp. She said she would forward my request to the proper dept, and later this afternoon the white version showed up on Amazon.com via multiple Japanese vendors. I haven't looked at those that closely yet as white isn't my first choice of color, and the price was $226 (in the last few minutes it has dropped to $215). As to ordering from Amazon.co.jp, that requires setting up a new account there, and then ordering (international shipping is done, but I only have a rough idea of the price so far--doesn't seem astronomical). The rep checked while I was online and the process seems to work in English. Here's the page with the DA 35mm f2.4: Amazon.co.jp?PENTAX ???????? DA35mmF2.4AL ???? K???? APS-C??? 21995?Camera & Video??

08-30-2015, 04:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would have loved to have gotten mine in a different color than black. Maybe silver or blue . I think that would have looked better on my blue K-30.

After seeing the colors. The gold or silver would look great on the front of my K-30

Last edited by patrick9; 08-30-2015 at 06:44 PM.
08-30-2015, 06:18 PM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
That white copy is pretty sweet looking.
08-30-2015, 06:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would like to get the white one, it would match my K-50 but it's not worth the extra $70 compared to the black one from B&H.

08-30-2015, 07:47 PM   #5

Would love an orange one of these on my ks2!
08-30-2015, 08:50 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The colored DA 35/2.4 lenses were made to match the K-r. Any that you see for sale are used or leftover old stock.

I have the white one, that I got from someone who broke up a K-r bundle. It doesn't quite match my K-m (the original "Stormtrooper"). Other than that, it's just the basic Plastic Fantastic 35/2.4.

Last edited by THoog; 08-31-2015 at 05:01 AM.
08-30-2015, 10:07 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Like I posted in the other thread, the special colors are Japan only / only bundled with specific custom color kits.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-31-2015, 02:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I want some hot pink!
08-31-2015, 02:19 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well look at this on the Amazon Germany site, it's the blue K-S1 with the 35mm blue lens! Pentax K-S1 SLR-Digitalkamera 3 Zoll Kit inkl. SMC DA: Amazon.de: Kamera
08-31-2015, 03:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

These lenses are also listed on the Map Camera Japan website with (MTO) in the listing, with a 3-4 week order time if not in stock. Possible (MTO) is Made To Order? Perhaps Pentax Japan have continued to produce these for the local market?

Another way to order these sort of items from Japan is using a buying service. I have previously used Zen Market, who I'm not associated with in any way, to purchase items from Japan and have them shipped to Australia at a very reasonable rate. They will buy from Amazon.jp, as well as Yahoo Auctions and other Japanese sites for you.
Looks like the total rate shipped to the U.S. by EMS would be around USD$180 for this lens through Amazon, via Zen Market.

This is the link to the Zen Market site Japan Shopping Service
They currently have a promo where if you register you get a 500 Yen credit.
If anyone wants feedback on their service I'm happy to provide it...I was impressed.

Cheers
Dean
08-31-2015, 10:22 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Now my only problem is deciding which color I want. The blue or the yellow. The blues of the camera and the lens, although not a perfect match, do seem to look nice together. On the other hand the yellow lens would really pop on the blue camera.
09-01-2015, 04:42 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Like I posted in the other thread, the special colors are Japan only / only bundled with specific custom color kits.
I know but was considering seeing if my 35 could become silver or gold
09-04-2015, 06:50 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
After 2 online chat sessions with Amazon.com with questions about this lens (in yellow!), they recommended going thru Amazon.co.jp which carries it in all 12 colors. A US Amazon.com account won't work on the Japanese site. I was able to get the sign up page in English and everything seemed okay until it came time for me to provide my name with the Japanese pronunciation. THAT stumped me. So I sent email to customer service at Amazon.co.jp. They sent me my name in Japanese (pretty cool) and let me know I could just type in my name in English as the pronunciation. However, that neither they, nor any of their sellers were shipping that lens to the US.

That meant plan two, which was what Dean suggested above. I've signed up for a Zen Market account, gotten a quote from them, accepted it, and paid for the lens via Paypal. Now awaiting confirmation they have made the purchase. With shipping via EMS the total should be about $178.
09-05-2015, 04:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Good stuff Tessie, I hope the whole process goes smoothly.
Look forward to seeing a few pics of the lens when you receive it
Cheers
Dean
09-05-2015, 06:21 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Be sure to post some shots of it when you get it.