09-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Your thoughts on the DA 14mm f2.8?

Your thoughts on the DA 14mm f2.8?

What do you think of this lens?

09-02-2015, 02:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Bof... I had it and sold it to get the 15 limited.
Flare resistance was poor and to get good sharpness I had to stop it down a lot. Plus it weights a lot.
Go for the DA 15 or the 12-24 zoom...
If you are interested I'm selling my DA15 on this forum cause I'm switching brand, It is one of the lenses I'll miss with Nikon...
09-02-2015, 02:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have the DA 14mm, I have the Samyang 14mm.
I've seen some great photos taken with DA 14mm, but I've also read some fairly negative opinions. Not sure why, as some lab tests show it as quite decent. Anyway, the main problem for me was the price, so I got Samyang 14mm instead. Samyang (also sold as Rokinon, Bower, Walimex, and other brands) is a very sharp lens, film/FF compatible, but big, doesn't accept filters, and manual focus only (though, this is not a big problem, since DoF is so wide). Quality control can be a problem (decentering, uncalibated distance scales) and I actually returned my first copy, but I quite like this lens. At the price, its worth a try.
That said, I can't speak ill of the DA 14mm, because, as I said, I've seen some great photos taken with it. The DA 12-24mm zoom and DA 15mm are stiff competition, though. As are the UWA Sigma zooms and Samyang primes. Yikes! Good luck deciding

Edit: Oh, one more thing, there are many threads about DA 14mm vs DA 15mm ltd and other UWA lens recommendation threads. These come up very often. Maybe you can find some answers in those, as well, since UWA lenses right now have been out for a while

Last edited by Na Horuk; 09-02-2015 at 02:52 PM.
09-02-2015, 02:44 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can't find it right now but there is a DA14 thread on this forum. Ah here is the thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/117422-pentax-da14mm-club.html I've owned this lens since about 2009. It's never seemed to garner the love that lenses like the DA 15 Limited does, however, it's very capable. But for me I'll dispel some myths I've read, 1) 'it's huge' nope not true, 2) 'it's slow focusing' sorta but there isn't a long throw to it and the depth of field is great, 3) 'it's noisy,' compared to what? yada yada yada.

Given that for a long time this was the widest and fastest rectilinear lens for the K-mount, this lens is one of the older designs for APS-c from Pentax. If this lens had 9 rounded blades instead of 6 flat ones, I believe this would be prized well above the DA 15 Limited even with its magic pixey dust. Given that a lot of other lenses in this range have apertures larger than f2.8 the initial feature of the DA 14 is for low light situations. Oddly, I seldom make use of the lens that wide open, but it's there if I need it. I bought it to do indoor stuff but I find that I use it for outdoor and nighttime photography as well. I say this as an owner of the DA 15 Limited and a fair number of other UWA lenses. I'm glad I own it though, while it's not my first lens of choice, it's got a roll. Was going to sell it off last year but each time I've thought that, I use it and remember why I bought it. Yes, it's overlooked and not a sexy as the DA 15 Limited but it's a keeper and AF as well.

In 2011 I shot all month with it and got the results posted here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/blackcloudbrew/albums/72157625742843601 with my favorite being this one.

Note: I also own the DA 12-24 f4 which is a great zoom but not f2.8.

09-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DA 14 is a lens actually so different from DA 15, and should not be compared side-by-side only.

DA 14 has f2.8, and the focal plane curve is much better than DA 15. True, flare resistant is not as good as DA 15. But this can not be considered as negative: you are comparing with a lens has probably the best flare resistance. The DA 14's flare is much better than Samyang's.

DA 15, color and contrast is great, flare resistant if excellent. sharper in the center but softer in the corners.

So I use DA 14 indoor a lot. It shines in a small space such as in a bar, for small group photos. You don't have to worry the faces close to board being soft. Distortion is much better also.
And I bring DA 15 when I walk in a park. color, contrast are important, and the 3-D real world sense makes the curving focal plane less a problem. The small size helps a lot!

I keep Samyang and hope to try it on pentax FF camera. It is very wide on A7. too wide for me in most case, but might be useful sometime.
09-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't offer any opinion about the DA 14. I have the DA 15 and have never tried the 14. I did a lot of reading and the 15 suited me more. But I am interested - if you don't mind saying, what is the driver for you looking at this lens specifically? A lot of people seem to go for the Samyang 14 or wider as an alternative for astrophotography and others like me go for the DA 15 for compact and flare resistant fun. I have had a hard time understanding what the appeal of the expensive DA 14 is over the DA 15 other than low light and that's not where I tend to use UWA unless it is with a very long exposure since I typically want f/5.6-f/11.

Several people posted since before I submitted my post. They seem to have a good handle on the differences. I'm glued to my screen curious about the differences.
09-02-2015, 04:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Theres one for sale at a reasonable price on this forum.....looked into it myself..... if only it was ff.

09-02-2015, 04:57 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I've owned the sig 10-20, pentax 12-24 (both fantastic) and now the DA14. I'm really not much of a wide-angle guy, but something about the images I saw online spoke to me and I've been going through a prime phase so I snatched one up. Seems like it has sort of a classic Nat Geo Photojournalist look about it. The focal length is just about right for WA on crop. Focuses very very close. Good colors, contrast, well controlled distortion, fairly even sharpness across the frame. It's really not that big, but the hood is kinda big.
It was designed by our beloved Hirakawa!
The compactness and flare resistance of the 15 beats it and the versatility and sharpness of the 12-24 beats it. BUT it's a 14mm 2.8 and if you need that it's got it.

Near and Far:

Last edited by ChatMechant; 01-28-2016 at 12:34 AM.
09-02-2015, 05:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

First off, I should say I've no experience with any other ultra-wide rectilinear lenses.

I quite enjoy my DA14mm. Part of the reason I went for it over the DA15 was the higher magnification at close distances. It's great for environmental type portraits of reasonably little things. I find it plenty sharp up close, even wide open.

It's generally pretty well priced on the used market, I might have been swayed to the DA15mm if I had to buy it new.

It's my biggest lens, but it's still not that big unless you compare it to the tiny pancake types. Solid and well built.

At some point I plan to get an underwater bag type thingie and I had expected the f/2.8 would be especially handy. Unfortunately the funds I had for this got gobbled up when a da10-17mm appeared locally a few months ago, so maybe next spring.

It can flare with the sun in the frame, oh yes. I don't really mind though, the sun is rarely a part of my compositions and the flare can be pretty trippy at the correct angles.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
09-03-2015, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I found the comparative review quite interesting:
Pentax 14mm F2.8 vs Rokinon 14mm F2.8 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
My main takeaway from that review was that the samyang is better at infinity, while the DA14 is better at close focus.

Regards,
--Anders.
09-03-2015, 09:10 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I really like my DA14, I would not have bought it (new) but I stumbled on a deal.
Now I don'y know if I would trade it for the DA15ltd anymore.

Seb
09-03-2015, 11:34 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
But I am interested - if you don't mind saying, what is the driver for you looking at this lens specifically?
Its pentax and I like their glass. Infinity will be set correctly. AF a bonus - though not necessarily needed. The f2.8 might make it suitable for night and astro/work. Older design... some of the old glass is really good.
09-03-2015, 01:27 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
Its pentax and I like their glass. Infinity will be set correctly. AF a bonus - though not necessarily needed. The f2.8 might make it suitable for night and astro/work. Older design... some of the old glass is really good.
Thanks.
09-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Thanks.
Sorry I didn't mean to sound so brutal!

It seems its been both praised and slain... a good sample sounds quite capable
09-04-2015, 10:34 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
Sorry I didn't mean to sound so brutal!

It seems its been both praised and slain... a good sample sounds quite capable
I was sincere. I appreciated the input from someone with the lens. I have the DA 15 and use it differently than many who are saying what they value about their DA 14 so I don't think I missed the boat. I just was interested since the topic came up.