Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2015, 07:41 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DC motor upgrades?

Any rumors that some of the current lens line will get upgraded with the DC motors?
I've been shooting a lot lately with my 55-300HD, and while I like it for size, and range, I had the 18-135 back on the camera for a shoot,
It is a much nicer, snappier, lens in focus speed and accuracy, and the quiet is nice too.

No idea how much it would take to change/add the motors in the old lens designs, but it would be nice upgrade, and in the 55-300 they'd have a winner of a lens at the size, quality and price point. Assuming you could keep all of those features in an upgraded, quieter, faster lens, it would make a real nice package with the 18-135 if both were DC motored.
Just a thought....

09-04-2015, 08:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
No idea how much it would take to change/add the motors in the old lens designs, but it would be nice upgrade, and in the 55-300 they'd have a winner of a lens at the size, quality and price point.
Likely a complete redesign, which I think we will see, eventually. But the 55-300 was released in 2008, making it quite modern in the Pentax lineup. And refreshed in 2013 with new coatings and WR. So I would bet it will be quite a few years before they refresh it again. And most likely next time it won't be a refresh but a completely new lens. Possibly with the old screwdrive 55-300 staying in the line as the kit lens. Unless they ditch all screwdrive lenses of course. But if you want ultimate reliability, screwdrive is the way to go. Any motor will fail, eventually, so I doubt very much we will be still using our DC motor lenses 30 years down the road like we do with screwdrive.

With the FF coming out I think Pentax's focus will be filling out the FF line up for the next few years. I don't foresee many new APS-C lenses for some time. Just MHO.
09-04-2015, 11:29 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think upgrading the AF in the 55-300mm would be a good thing, but I wouldn't expect it to happen in the near future.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: