Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What to take?

I am traveling to Oregon next week and am contemplating my kit for the journey. I have a K-50 and a K-5IIs which I intend to take along with a Vivitar DF-383-PEN flash and a light weight travel tripod. The K-5IIs will be wearing the DA L 18-55mm kit lens in keeping with my participation in the monthly singles challenge. The K-50 will probably sport the DA 18-270 superzoom for distant subjects. In addition I'm leaning toward the Sigma 28mm Mini Wide II, the DA 50mm f1.8 "Plastic Fantastic" and possibly the Rikenon 8mm Fish Eye. Obviously spare batteries, chargers and memory cards are a necessity.

Obviously there is overlap in the focal lengths and if I weren't using it in the Singles Challenge this month I would leave the kit lens out and just go with the superzoom and a couple primes. What am I missing?

10-04-2015, 10:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What other lens possibilities do you have?

Also, are your prepared for inclement weather?

Lastly, filters might be helpful, such as polarizers and neutral graduated density, if you have them. And of course, cleaning equipment.
10-04-2015, 11:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weather should be good next week, strangely . Of course that could change but so far looking good. Normally by this time we are into almost daily rain.

Of course it depends on WHERE in Oregon you are going. There is an incredible difference between coast / valley / high desert. If going to the coast dress warm, it is windy and cold most days. If the desert you will need warm gear in the morning but it will get hot later in the day.

For camera gear, anything goes. The landscape is quite varied. With no idea of which part of the state you are going just take it all.
10-04-2015, 11:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Weather should be good next week, strangely . Of course that could change but so far looking good. Normally by this time we are into almost daily rain.

Of course it depends on WHERE in Oregon you are going. There is an incredible difference between coast / valley / high desert. If going to the coast dress warm, it is windy and cold most days. If the desert you will need warm gear in the morning but it will get hot later in the day.

For camera gear, anything goes. The landscape is quite varied. With no idea of which part of the state you are going just take it all.

We will basically be in the northwest quadrant of the state. We begin in Portland/Beaverton then travel south and west though Salem and Eugene then across to Florence on the central coast. We have 3 days on the coast then back to Portland via Newport, Tillamook and Cannon Beach. Other lens choices are the DA 50-200 WR, the F 35-105, Sigma 28-80 Macro Zoom and a 500mm mirror lens.

I used to live up there so I'm very familiar with the climate and the weather issues. I'm considering taking that 50-200 WR rather than the 18-270 which is not weather sealed. I might miss the extra reach but the WR would be good insurance. I have a few filters in 49mm and 52mm but no CPL. There is (or was) an excellent camera store in downtown Portland and I may pay them a visit if I can't get over to Tempe Camera before I leave. I want to keep the weight and volume of gear down as much as possible but I don't want to skimp on what I will likely need.

10-04-2015, 12:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I would take the 18-55 (since you have to use it), the 18-270 and pack the 50-200 in case it gets rainy. Not sure the FE will be worth the bulk if you are moving a lot. And the 28mm prime is nice but will you really use it? Throw in the 50 f/1.8 for low light and have fun.

Stop in and get some ice cream at Tillamook!!!
10-04-2015, 01:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian

18-55, 50-200, 50/1.8 and leave the rest of the glass at home, is my call. Last I checked, even Walmart sold 52mm circular polarisers, so you shouldn't have to go without.
10-04-2015, 02:50 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
We will basically be in the northwest quadrant of the state. We begin in Portland/Beaverton then travel south and west though Salem and Eugene then across to Florence on the central coast. We have 3 days on the coast then back to Portland via Newport, Tillamook and Cannon Beach. Other lens choices are the DA 50-200 WR, the F 35-105, Sigma 28-80 Macro Zoom and a 500mm mirror lens.

I used to live up there so I'm very familiar with the climate and the weather issues. I'm considering taking that 50-200 WR rather than the 18-270 which is not weather sealed. I might miss the extra reach but the WR would be good insurance. I have a few filters in 49mm and 52mm but no CPL. There is (or was) an excellent camera store in downtown Portland and I may pay them a visit if I can't get over to Tempe Camera before I leave. I want to keep the weight and volume of gear down as much as possible but I don't want to skimp on what I will likely need.
I just got back from Oregon Friday. Went from Portland up Mount Saint Helens to Astoria, then down to Cannon beach, Tillamook and then Lincoln City back up to Cascade Locks and areas along Columbia River Gorge and then Mount Hood to Portland. I took DA 16-50, DA 60-250 (both had CP filters), Sigma 10-20 and K3, K5 iis and travel tripod. I took flash, 1.4 teleconverter and DA 15mm but never used them. Used the flash on the camera. I pretty much kept the 60-250 on the k5 iis and the DA 16-50 and on rare occasion I used the sigma on the K3. The travel tripod was used a lot.
I also took the ND filters but all the waterfalls I took pictures of were not in sunlight so was easy to get low shutter speeds

10-04-2015, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
18-55, 50-200, 50/1.8 and leave the rest of the glass at home, is my call. Last I checked, even Walmart sold 52mm circular polarisers, so you shouldn't have to go without.
I second this selection.
10-04-2015, 07:14 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Just be careful, as Camera World in downtown Portland can fill any gaps you discover as you travel ..and no sales tax
10-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
what am i missing?
A 12-24. I always recommend it.
10-05-2015, 02:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
A 12-24. I always recommend it.

I'm afraid my budget for new gear is probably exhausted for a couple months. I'll have to make do with what I have this time. It is an excellent suggestion and if I had one I would surely take it.
10-26-2015, 05:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I ended up filling every available space in the backpack with lenses and gear but when it was all said and done I used the K-5IIs with the DA L 18-55mm kit lens almost exclusively. I appreciate everyone's comments and feel free to check my flickr page for some of the results. Here is one example.

Cape Meares Lighthouse, Tillamook, Oregon

K-5IIs, SMC Pentax-DA L 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR