Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2015, 11:28 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To 40mmltd or to not 40mmltd, that is the question...

Hey guys, I've got a question for you. Who would've guessed??
Should I get the HD 40mm f/2.8 ltd?

First some context:
I own a K-30, with the
Tammy 17-50 f/2.8,
HD DA 55-300,
M 50 f/1.7
A 28 2.8
A 35-105 f/3.5 "stack o' primes"

I have a rather low-budget, as you can tell by my lenses
I've wanted a standard prime lens, my 50 is too long for standard, and the DA 35 ltd is too expensive (and I temporarily alleviated my macro needs by purchasing a set of cheap extension tubes). The 40 would be a compromise between the two, but... i guess my question is, should I bother getting the 40 f/2.8 when i already own the tamron 17-50 f/2.8?

The Tamron image quality is good, although i'm sure the 40 ltd is better, considering my VERY low budget, am I just trying to convince myself of something I don't really NEED? Both lenses are f/2.8, after all, so i'm not gaining any low-light/bokeh advantage, like I do with my M 50 f/1.7. I realize the 40 ltd is tiny, but again, do you think I don't really need it?

For the type of photography I generally do, you could check my 500px link in the signature, if that would help you with feedback.

thanks so much to the best pentax forum!

p.s. another reason I would want to 40mm ltd is because my 50 f/1.7 doesn't have AF, which is one reason I use it less. But then I usually use it for the 1.7 aperture.

11-26-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You know you want it! But do you need it?

With your Tamron, what FL are you shooting at most?
That can help decide if the 40 ltd will be the right focal length.
11-26-2015, 11:58 AM   #3
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
more at 50mm, generally, and then sometimes at 17mm... more rarely in between somewhere. BUT, the Tamron is really a 45mm at the long end, as recorded by the picture EXIF, and as seen in direct comparisons with my 50mm f/1.7
11-26-2015, 12:06 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd do the old method of pros and cons listing. How important are the pros? I love the 40mm pancake because of street photography. It's both super portable and renders the DSLR from an intimidating pro stalking the streets to more of a tourist taking snaps. It's also fun enough that people will ask you about it. If IQ is not that important to you, then the zoom is way more convenient. But what I love about primes is that they are probably the cheapest way to improve your IQ. While everyone is spending money to upgrade their cameras, I'd say upgrading glass has a much better value.

If the pancake design is not an important element (no pun intended) for you, and the reason you're not shooting your 50mm f/1.7 is because it's MF, why not consider the DA 50mm f/1.8. It's a steal at under $100 new right now, and as sharp as one could expect without spending at least triple the cost.

11-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Tape your tamron in the 40mm position and use it like that all day/week. Then decide if you like that FL.
11-26-2015, 12:12 PM   #6

To be honest, I'm a low budget k30 shooter. I've just picked up a used 35mm ltd. I will say it's really enjoyable shooting with a "normal" prime (I was also finding 50mm too long for me). I think the experience of shooting at a normal(ish) focal length in what would be ultimately a much smaller and lighter package that your f2.8 zoom, rather than solely concerning your self with picture quality. You've got a lot of choice with Pentax and they all have different strengths: Plastic fantastic Da35 f2.4, Da40 XS, Da 40 ltd (smc + hd), Da 35 ltd (smc + hd). All clock in at a reasonable price, and are particularly cheap if you are willing to buy used!
11-26-2015, 12:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I have the Tamron 17-50/2.8 and the Limited's emaciated poor relation, the DA 40 XS.

IQ-wise, the colors of the DA 40 's will be better,
but in terms of sharpness and other optical properties,
you won't see a big difference,
assuming your copy of the Tamron focuses well on your K-30.

So the advantage of the DA 40's comes down to portability,
and stealth for candid portraits.

If those are things you could benefit from,
and your budget is stretched,
I'd strongly recommend a DA 40 XS at the current prices of around $100.

11-26-2015, 01:15 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the SMC version of the DA 40 Ltd. It is a great lens, and perfect for travel. Very sharp and even across the frame. Very highly recommended from me.
11-26-2015, 01:28 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I also have an SMC version 40mm Ltd. I like it quite a lot. Aside from it's high quality...metal body...sharp pics....it's also very small. I sometimes attach it to my Pentax Km body (at the time it was promoted as the smallest DSLR available) and I find this combination excellent.....not just for good picture taking ability, but also when I want a small camera body and even smaller lens. In fact the combo of Km and 40mm Ltd....is not much wider or bigger than my Canon G 12 advanced compact.

Now the 40mm Ltd. has what some consider an odd lens cap. It's tiny, has the word Pentax emblazoned on the cap inside and you have to screw it in and screw it out. My view is that it's metal, kind of old fashioned or retro as some might say and when it's screwed in properly it's in solid.

It takes a few seconds longer to deal with it, but who cares....I don't.

If you want a small, high quality lens that is a wonderful picture taker, get it, if it's in your budget.

I see you appreciate fine lenses...you have the 35-105 A Macro Zoom. I do too, great lens.
11-26-2015, 01:28 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 40 limited has size in its favor
It is so small you can forget you have a lens on the camera. The HD version will add two things your Tamaron does not have. The HD coating is extremely flare resistant. I have shot almost straight into the sun with HD lenses and not had any flare. The newer HD version has rounded aperture blades which help give you a smoother bokeh. Lastly the build quality of the limited is exceptional. Careful once you get a few limiteds you are going to want more.
11-26-2015, 01:45 PM   #11
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your responses! I was just out raking leaves, so its a great reward to come back and see all the responses!
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
why not consider the DA 50mm f/1.8
I would like an investment in a lens to last a long time. I'm not saying the DA 50mm won't last a long time, i'd just rather not invest in plastic, inexpensive lenses - although that seems to be a bit of a contradiction since i'm such a low-budget guy! In addition, another 50 is harder to justify than a 40, because it is too long for a normal FL, and if i'm using it for portraiture, MF is just fine. Its just that IF my M 50 had AF, i'd probably be using it a lot more. Same with my A 35-105, it is woefully underused.

QuoteOriginally posted by DanGleabols Quote
To be honest, I'm a low budget k30 shooter.
Be Proud!!

I think i've decided the 40mm ltd is at the top of my LBA list, as i'd rather get a 10/10 lens once than a 9/10 40mm xs or plastic fantastic or 35mm 2.4 kit. Not that they aren't good lenses, they're just... not LTD
But I think i'll put it off maybe a year or half a year, because I don't feel I can justify it, unless someone can convince me otherwise! It sure is appealing! My other top of the list is the DA* 300, but... a tad expensive
11-26-2015, 01:47 PM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Given that you already thought about the DA35 Limited, but budget is constrained, you ought to at least consider the DA35 f/2.4. I have both, and I'll be straight with you - I prefer the DA35 f/2.4 for day-to-day shooting. It focuses quickly (mainly because of short focus throw), and I find it performs better at faster apertures than the Limited. In fact, it's very good wide open - and by f/4.0, it's peaking. You can achieve some nice bokeh as a result. I find the 35mm focal length more versatile than 40mm, too...

EDIT: I just saw your last message after I posted mine. So you're going with the 40 Limited... well, it's a beautiful lens, and I know you'll love it. The feel of Limited lenses is a big part of the attraction in owning them. And the image quality is great, too.
11-26-2015, 01:54 PM   #13
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
So you're going with the 40 Limited
Nothing definite! The more input, the better, the merrier!
11-26-2015, 01:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
My other top of the list is the DA* 300
You now you want it...
11-26-2015, 02:02 PM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Nothing definite! The more input, the better, the merrier!
Well, do consider the DA35 f/2.4 then. It's no Limited in terms of construction, that's for sure, but it punches well above its weight (literally!). And there's something very satisfying, I find, about getting beautiful images out of such an inexpensive lens