Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2016, 11:25 AM   #1

Another FA 77 question

It's been a while since I've posted. I tried searching(a little anyway) but wasn't able to find an answer. I've read about the perceived differences between made in Japan versus made in Vietnam. What I'm trying to find out is if you buy a new copy, when and where is it likely to have been manufactured and how do these compared to the older models? Thanks all.

02-10-2016, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #2

You can't buy new ones MIJ (Made in Japan) anymore. Correct me, if there is still some secret place though.

You were not able to find answer, because you have not tried hard enough, or there just isn't any

In a nutshell, some say there is a difference(minority), some say there is not. The most people agree there is no difference in terms of the produced image. The coating has got different colours, that's for sure.

As for the visible difference? I don't think there is a way you could tell them apart looking at the sample photos.

You can try this nice thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/59538-fa-limited-club.html

Some people write down if they've got MIJ or Vietnam copy. You can also ask the authors if some image intrigue you in a special way

There are some amazing photos there, enjoy the ride~!

Let me also leave this here:

It is a part of the conversation I had with a Japanese seller, when I was hunting for my 31mm
QuoteQuote:
It's a good move to buy a new lens.

For the record; In Japan, it is said that Pentax lenses made in Vietnam are better than the lenses made in Japan. It's been 8 years since Pentax stopped making lenses and cameras in Japan. If you buy a Japan-made lens, that's 8 years old at least, 8 years old technology. Up until 8 years ago, Japan's Pentax assembly line were full of aged or high school grads who did not find the better job anywhere. In Vietnam, only young and decent people work for the Pentax factory. Assembly line is strictly controlled under the supervisors sent from Japan who say workers in Vietnam are eager to learn and work harder (than the Japanese workers.) So do not trap yourself in a "made-in-Japan" myth!
This may help as well:
http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/search?q=vietnam

I still got MIJ Silver 31mm though, and I plan to get 77mm and 43mm as well. I am superstitious, weird and I have my own ways of dealing with life I do not recommend nor advice following my steps

Trust your instinct, do what you feel you want to do. As for the difference in images, not worth worrying, you will not see any (unless your mind will play you).

Last edited by tgchan; 02-10-2016 at 12:14 PM.
02-10-2016, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #3
a5m
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you buy a new one it'll be an Assembled in Vietnam (AIV) copy, and it was probably manufactured fairly recently - I'd guess within the last year or two. Pentax doesn't make lenses in Japan anymore.

As far as the differences go, people will generally tell you there are no differences. Some people just prefer a MIJ copy because of the perceived notion that things made in Japan are of higher quality. I mostly agree, but I read somewhere that the very early 77 Limiteds had a different design of something relating to the focus mechanism, and it was faulty in one way or another so they updated and revised it. IMO you're probably better off buying a new one, or if you prefer MIJ, a relatively new used copy.

BTW this is a topic that has come up several times so people generally don't respond to it very positively. If you had gone through all the topics on the AIV vs MIJ discussions you probably wouldn't have started this thread.
02-10-2016, 12:14 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by a5m Quote
If you buy a new one it'll be an Assembled in Vietnam (AIV) copy, and it was probably manufactured fairly recently - I'd guess within the last year or two. Pentax doesn't make lenses in Japan anymore.

As far as the differences go, people will generally tell you there are no differences. Some people just prefer a MIJ copy because of the perceived notion that things made in Japan are of higher quality. I mostly agree, but I read somewhere that the very early 77 Limiteds had a different design of something relating to the focus mechanism, and it was faulty in one way or another so they updated and revised it. IMO you're probably better off buying a new one, or if you prefer MIJ, a relatively new used copy.

BTW this is a topic that has come up several times so people generally don't respond to it very positively. If you had gone through all the topics on the AIV vs MIJ discussions you probably wouldn't have started this thread.
Thanks! I didn't think about that type of search. I was focused only on the Fa 77 so to speak.

02-10-2016, 12:17 PM   #5

+ mind what a5m has mentioned above.

I also read a few people had problems with their 77mm (literally fell apart). I do not remember what versions they were, but having a guarantee would be a nice thing in that case.
02-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #6
a5m
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gregor Quote
Thanks! I didn't think about that type of search. I was focused only on the Fa 77 so to speak.
You're most welcome. One of the things discussed regarding AIV vs MIJ in terms of the FA Limiteds is of some reports stating that lead based coatings and/or glass were used in the very early MIJ 43mm Limiteds with a Serial # below 10,000 (I read elsewhere that it is under 20,000 but the former is the more common belief). Naturally since the FA Limiteds also include the 31mm and 77mm people began to ask the same question about their glass and coatings. But I believe you were asking more about the place of manufacture, and that question applies to more than just the FA Limiteds.

I'd agree with tgchan and suggest you don't get sucked into the MIJ allure. But just like him, I am also weird and prefer the MIJ Pentax lenses. Even though plenty of people have stated they liked the AIV copies better in terms of build and image quality. So at the end of the day, just do what you feel is right. Opinions are subjective and what you think and feel is what matters in the end.
02-10-2016, 12:44 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is an Internet meme (read myth) stating FA Limiteds that used lens blanks made with lead in the mfg process have different rendering than those made afterwards. I've never seen a side-by-side study showing the difference if it is even true. If it is true, it would only be the very lowest serials, especially for the 31 and 77. It might have more merit for the 43 because more of them were made prior to 2003.

There's also a meme suggesting AiV Limiteds come apart at the focusing helicoid. There might have been some cases where the very first FA43's made in Vietnam actually had this fault, so there could be some factual basis for the myth - but - those lenses were sold long ago.

Reality is AiV FA Limiteds are virtually identical to MiJ Limiteds.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-10-2016 at 12:52 PM.
02-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #8

Original Poster
Appreciate all the responses! I posted a wanted thread in the marketplace, and unless a nice copy shows up there in a couple of days I'll go to b&h and buy I new copy. Through this site of course. Can't wait!!
02-10-2016, 02:25 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a silver MIJ FA 31 BOUGHT USED and a black AIV FA 77 BOUGHT NEW. Quality seems identical if not better slightly for the new AIV lens. Personally I would think individual variation is more likely to give meaningful result differences than location of final assembly.
02-10-2016, 02:35 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
. Personally I would think individual variation is more likely to give meaningful result differences than location of final assembly.
And let's not forget the MOF phenomenon! Lenses made on Friday have more problems.
02-10-2016, 03:17 PM   #11
npc
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by a5m Quote

According to asahiman on the other forum - the fa limiteds are not being manifactured anymore since several years and they are just selling old stock (AIV).

I don't know if this is true or not, but if somebody bought any of the fa limiteds new recently - I'll be curious to know which year it was made (or at least if it says "hoya" or "ricoh" if year is not printed anywhere)
02-10-2016, 03:18 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is sample variation between all of them. The AIV/MIJ difference really isn't there anymore than the difference between MIJ/MIJ.
02-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by npc Quote
According to asahiman on the other forum - the fa limiteds are not being manifactured anymore since several years and they are just selling old stock (AIV).

I don't know if this is true or not, but if somebody bought any of the fa limiteds new recently - I'll be curious to know which year it was made (or at least if it says "hoya" or "ricoh" if year is not printed anywhere)
I bought a new AIV FA77 October 31, 2014 from B&H. The box UPC was printed "Pentax Ricoh Imaging Company" with a sticker over that printed "Ricoh Imaging Company, Ltd." That should date my lens manufacturing date between October 1, 2011 and August 1, 2013.

asahi man said the last batch of FA Limiteds was made December, 2012.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-10-2016 at 07:53 PM.
02-10-2016, 05:07 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It could just be copy variation, but my AiV FA31 isn't as solid mechanically as my MiJ FA43 and FA77. The front barrel has a bit of wobble to it, and the focus ring is nowhere nearly as well damped. It is wonderful optically though.

My FA43 has a very early serial number (in the 2000's), and compared to the AiV version I had first, the glass has a visibly different, slightly yellow tint. It is also better optically, with better edges wide open and less coma. Again, that could just be copy variation.

If I can find a silver MiJ FA31 at a decent price I would probably buy it, but mainly for sentimental and aesthetic reasons
02-10-2016, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd rather have the more recently made version myself, and I'll pay a premium for AIV, lol.

Last edited by mikeSF; 02-11-2016 at 02:24 AM.