Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-03-2016, 05:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Big lens modification - is it feasible???

Calling all big lens lovers!

With all the talk about legacy lenses being great/ bad, I am turning my head to the idea of 'modifying' my two big lenses (FA250-600 and F600).

Before anyone shrieks with disdain, don't worry, the modifications are not permanent.

My thoughts are to have an optics expert re-examine the optics of each lens with the view to manufacturing a custom piece of glass for insertion into the filter slot towards the rear of the lens. Probably an aspherical element to correct for aberrations or something of that nature anyway.

Such modification will come at expense, sure, but putting that negative aside, what are peoples thoughts n the idea??

05-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are a few optical engineers here on the forum, who are much more knowledgeable in this area. Your considering something similar to what was done with Hubble. Just thinking out loud, but I would think that the corrective optics would have a small range that the complete 250 to 600, so you might wind up with a set of corrective lenses for specific focal lengths.

Also on the larger telescopes now they have laser guides that measure the turbulence and adapt the main mirror's surface to cancel out the blurring effects of Earth's atmosphere....
05-03-2016, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Calling all big lens lovers!

With all the talk about legacy lenses being great/ bad, I am turning my head to the idea of 'modifying' my two big lenses (FA250-600 and F600).

Before anyone shrieks with disdain, don't worry, the modifications are not permanent.

My thoughts are to have an optics expert re-examine the optics of each lens with the view to manufacturing a custom piece of glass for insertion into the filter slot towards the rear of the lens. Probably an aspherical element to correct for aberrations or something of that nature anyway.

Such modification will come at expense, sure, but putting that negative aside, what are peoples thoughts n the idea??
I'll do you one better: the K-1 includes correction profiles to compensate for the aberrations in FA* lenses

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-03-2016, 09:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes that is awesome. And yes, when finances permit I will enjoy that benefit.

Not sure if the F600/4 will be so lucky though???

05-03-2016, 09:56 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yes that is awesome. And yes, when finances permit I will enjoy that benefit.

Not sure if the F600/4 will be so lucky though???
Unfortunately not! If only there was a way to trick the camera to think that it's the FA* version, since the optics are the same...

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-04-2016, 06:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'll do you one better: the K-1 includes correction profiles to compensate for the aberrations in FA* lenses
Damn! Yet another reason I'll have to buy a K-1! (I have the FA* 400mm) I never saw any rumours about this feature.
05-04-2016, 06:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In a nutshell : yes it is feasible....but with SO many Caveats. Every element in a lens is there for a reason - a well corrected lens is a delicate balance between over/under corrections. Chucking one more element in to correct a perceived optical fault can give rise to something far worse*, if the element isn't carefully manufactured, shaped and mathematically incorporated into the optical design.

Aspherical elements are rare in 35mm lenses over 100mm. The focus field is inherently flatter than it is for wide angle lenses, Astigmatism is also usually well controlled at longer focal lengths.

I really don't see what you think you would gain by doing this.

*The reverse is also possible, however unlikely.

Last edited by Digitalis; 05-04-2016 at 07:02 AM.
05-04-2016, 12:41 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Damn! Yet another reason I'll have to buy a K-1! (I have the FA* 400mm) I never saw any rumours about this feature.
We posted about it on the homepage a number of times The complete details can be found here:
Pentax K-1 Lens Compatibility Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Look below the compatibility table.

Adam

05-04-2016, 01:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We posted about it on the homepage a number of times The complete details can be found here:
Pentax K-1 Lens Compatibility Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Look below the compatibility table.
I guess I didn't read the fine print. Those lens profiles also documented in the K-1 user manual, p. 108.
05-07-2016, 05:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
In a nutshell : yes it is feasible....but with SO many Caveats. Every element in a lens is there for a reason - a well corrected lens is a delicate balance between over/under corrections. Chucking one more element in to correct a perceived optical fault can give rise to something far worse*, if the element isn't carefully manufactured, shaped and mathematically incorporated into the optical design.

Aspherical elements are rare in 35mm lenses over 100mm. The focus field is inherently flatter than it is for wide angle lenses, Astigmatism is also usually well controlled at longer focal lengths.

I really don't see what you think you would gain by doing this.

*The reverse is also possible, however unlikely.
As always, comments well made. In the case of both these lenses, the filter drawer and the selected filter inserted within it, is actually part of the optical path. Apparently they need to be installed for the lens to perform to spec.

So my thinking was to acknowledge this requirement but use a 'corrective' element for digital purposes rather than a filter for film purposes.

I will ponder some more.
05-07-2016, 08:26 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the filter drawer and the selected filter inserted within it, is actually part of the optical path
Surely you know the difference between a lens element and a filter, sure there is provision in the lens design for a flat piece of glass in the optical path..putting a spherical/aspherical piece of glass will most likely disrupt this and can negatively impact performance.

So my thinking was to acknowledge this requirement but use a 'corrective' element for digital purposes rather than a filter for film purposes.
I what possible improvement do you hope to make? The lens is excellent, and my copy of the FA*250-600mm f/5.6 performs superbly on the K-1.
05-07-2016, 03:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Surely you know the difference between a lens element and a filter, sure there is provision in the lens design for a flat piece of glass in the optical path..putting a spherical/aspherical piece of glass will most likely disrupt this and can negatively impact performance.
No need to be patronising digitalis. It does seem to be your trait from time to time.

Yes I do know the difference. My thinking is augmented by the concept of putting a ghostless filter on the front of the lens as Asahi did back in the 1960's. You remember, the curved filter that went on the front of some 49mm filter thread lenses ........

What improvement? Correct for any aberrations arising from digital use. I haven't had the benefit of the K-1 as you have, but my experience on the K3 has been mixed for this lens. Unlike you, my expectation of satisfaction is not as high.

Regards
05-07-2016, 03:43 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This seems like a nuts idea, Mark, so naturally I'm loving it. Hang on while I get the popcorn. ☺

05-12-2016, 12:37 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, probably a nuts idea, but hey I'm nuts so normal to me

No popcorn needed it would seem