Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-03-2016, 07:30 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
A good kit???

Ok, I'm taking a long needed vacation to sunny Arizona tomorrow. I am thinking just old school lenses - no auto focus. My kit: K-3II, A 28 2.8; M 50 1.7; A 135 2.8, a small bag, two batteries, two 32 GB SD cards, and two fully charged batteries, no charger - that's it. Good???

05-03-2016, 07:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

something longer than 135?
05-03-2016, 08:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Kind of depends on what you want to take pictures of... if you're going to be doing some landscapes, you could probably make due, but I know I would want something wider than 28 on apsc. Those ARE good lenses, but manual focus has it's challenges, especially in bright light where the back screen may become harder to see and use focus peaking. Also, things get pretty dusty in the SW so I'd probably want at least one WR lens if not a DA* lens.
05-03-2016, 08:22 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you do any wide landscapes? Do you like to stitch photos together? (ala MS ICE) If you want wide, 28mm isn't going to cut it unless you stitch. On the other hand you may not want that view in which case you have the focal lengths covered. What about a circular polarizer? No charger? Why on earth?

05-03-2016, 09:54 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You forgot water, hat and sunglasses. Tomorrow is going to be the first 100 degree day of the year.

What are you going to shoot?

05-03-2016, 10:03 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ldj4549 Quote
Ok, I'm taking a long needed vacation to sunny Arizona tomorrow. I am thinking just old school lenses - no auto focus. My kit: K-3II, A 28 2.8; M 50 1.7; A 135 2.8, a small bag, two batteries, two 32 GB SD cards, and two fully charged batteries, no charger - that's it. Good???
I would double check on how well your equipment tolerates extreme temperatures. and that includes batteries. You have two batteries and two fully charged batteries, but no charger, correct? I wonder why not bring your charger? From what I have heard, your camera works better when batteries are fully charged because of all the features it has. You do not indicate how long you will be there for. Anyway, be good, be safe and come back sound.

Adios,

Tonytee
05-04-2016, 03:25 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ldj4549 Quote
Not sure how relevant this is, but. . . A while back I set out on a day trip through the back roads with my old Ricoh XR7 film SLR, a couple rolls of Kodak Ektar 100, and a set of manual lenses: 19mm, 28mm, 40mm, 135mm. Some might think that's like going back to bear skins and flint knives, but I actually found it very pleasant, and I got some good photos out of the trip.

With APS-C, your 28mm becomes a "normal" lens, and you don't appear to have anything wide. I do like me some wide angle lenses. With landscapes you can stitch up a panorama, though!

05-04-2016, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for the great feedback - glad I posted! Vanya, your right, I do need the charger, I just thought with no autofocus my batteries last a very long time and the less items the better. Looks like I really need to bring the DA* 16-50, didn't think about the dust factor! Going to keep the A 135 too for some reach and I always seem to pull off outstanding images with it. Hopefully nothing melts in the 100 degree temp, the Pentax gear will likely hold up better than me...